What's new

SVS 25-31CS Subwoofer w/ Denon receiver (1 Viewer)

James Herrod

Stunt Coordinator
I'm interested in this sub and I would like to know if my Denon AVR-1802 would be sufficient to power it, or would I need to get the amp that goes with it. I think my receiver is about 70-80 watts per channel. Thanks Much. Jim

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
James,
The CS line is a passive sub. It must have a dedicated amp channel to power it. This amp power can be built into the sub (as with our PCi subs) or separate, with something like the Samson amps we sell. Your receiver provides only a subwoofer signal, no power for a subwoofer. It does have amps built in for each of 5 surround speakers (right, left, center, r. rear and l. rear), but that's it.
There are some types of woofers (really not subwoofers) that do use your main speaker outputs for power but this is pretty rare today and limited to systems like Bose for the most part (and generally loathed by enthusiasts).
Look here in our FAQ's for a bit more on the subject.
http://www.svsubwoofers.com/faq.htm#whichtype
The bottom line is that most folks in your situation would simply opt for the "all in one" solution of a PCi subwoofer with built in amp (which typifies most subwoofers today, in terms of configuration in any case).
Ron

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Of course you could always go to your local pawnshop, pickup an old amp, receiver, or integreted amp and push the SVS if budget is a concern (100w will still make this sub smoke what's availible in any mass market store). You might can also find an Audiosource amp 5.x series, Adcom 535, or Marantz MA500 on Ebay at a reasonable price to mate up with it as well. SVS is a great design (never owned or listened to one but am a DIY and built a similar design) and you'll be amazed how little power it takes to make a sub sound great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks