SVS 25-31 purchase

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ferdinand C, Sep 29, 2002.

1. Ferdinand C

Ferdinand C Auditioning

After seeing all the positive comments regarding SVS subs, I'm ready to ditch my Energy ES-8 and purchase the SVS 25-31 PCI. My Energy sub has always been fine but I guess I was used to it bottoming out at times and didn't know what I was missing until I saw all the positive recommendations regarding these fine subs.

Of course my timing in this is not the greatest as I missed out on the summer sale but nothing I can do there. Anyways, I had a couple of questions before I make the plunge. Is there a price diffential to have the 25-31 tuned to a 22-31? Are there any significant drawbacks in doing this? I'd get the 20-39 but I'm afraid the 39 would be too large. My wife is already going to freak when she sees the modified 25-31. For now I won't tell her the size and am hoping the sound experience will make her quickly forget how big these things really are.

Thanks to all for their glowing recommendations. I don't think I've ever been this excited over a HT purchase before.

Ferd

2. Richard Harvey

Richard Harvey Stunt Coordinator

You won't regret it. I upgraded my Infinity sub to a 25-31 PCi, and it by far is the best purchase I've made for my HT outside of my widescreen TV.

As far as I can recall, tuning to 22Hz does not incur any additional cost, but will cost you some dB's if I'm not mistaken. Maybe someone more familiar with 22Hz tuning will chime in today. Mine is tuned to 25Hz so I'm not sure what I'm missing, though I haven't found any material yet were I felt the SVS was wimping out at any level.

Rich

3. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

I also bought a 25-31Pci, and totally agree with Richard, it is the best invesment I have ever made to my HT setup.

I found out of the 22Hz tunning after my purchase, and although I had some doubts, when I audition it I was completly sold. This is by far the best sub I have ever heard. I can only imagine how the new PC+ could sound, maybe you could go for PC+.

4. Steve WC

Steve WC Stunt Coordinator

E-mail Tom at SVS about the 22hz tuning. He will give you a recommendation based on your room size etc. There is no charge if the tuning is set before the sub is made.
    You can see my 2531pci tucked in the corner of my room here:
    http://www.axiomaudio.com/wallofame.html
    Look for Steve_C's.

5. Ferdinand C

Ferdinand C Auditioning

Thanks guys for your responses so far. After some additional thought, I guess I should ask if there are any issues with using this sub with my current receiver and speaker setup.

Denon AVR-2700
    ADS front mains
    B&W Center channel (don't know what model but it is timber matched with my setup-at least from what i've been told)
    Energy Satellites for rears

I'm basically a newbie but after seeing posts regarding frequencies, crossovers, settings etc etc.; I'm getting a little concerned that my system might not be a good match.

Assuming this sub doesn't present any problems, I do plan on getting an SPL meter and maximizing the potential this sub has to offer. While I wait for delivery, I'll review postings on how to do this.

Let me know what you thing. Thanks again for everyone's help.

6. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

I purchased two 22-31CS's and also agree that it has been the single best purchase I have made for my HT. I still catch myself every now and then going "wow!" when they hit such as the sock explosion in Monsters Inc.
    My system consists of some old Klipsch speakers and these subs work seamlessly with them. I don't think you'll have any problems. Word of advice though is to get the Analog Radio Shack db meter and an AVIA setup disc. These two items helped me get it all set up. Oh and the help of the guys as SVS. [​IMG]
    You'll have lots of fun with your purchase. [​IMG]

7. Ferdinand C

Ferdinand C Auditioning

Shaun-That's funny that you should bring up the sock explosion. That is actually one of the reasons I'm upgrading. I watch the same Monsters scene with the sock on my setup and I'm thinking to myself, "what's the big deal"; meanwhile everyone like yourself is saying "WOW". Boy, I must be missing something and the SVS should do it. Problem is, with seeing all these accolades, will the SVS meet my high expectations?

8. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

I think it's all really going to depend on the size of your room, the layout, placement of the unit and etc. I bought two because I wanted a little head room left for when I finally build our dedicated HT room. I too was worried that they wouldn't live up to my expectations but after dialed in I knew it was going to be juuuuussst fine. [​IMG]
    My house is 4500cu.ft. in a giant "L" shape. It's all open. No doors to the kitchen, dining room, front entry way or living room. And these two little 31's really shake my house.
    At first I was like what's all the hub bub about when I got them hooked up. But after dialing them in per the great guys at SVS, using my Radio Shack meter and Avia disc I was taken aback by the shear power of these. With two I think I gain somewhere between 3db - 6db more than with just one. And in all honesty I don't know what 6db really sounds like. But with even one hooked up I was thinking "wow!"
    They do take a while to break in and you have to get used to the fact that the "boom" of your first sub won't be there. It's a very clean, powerful, deep bass. Don't expect bass like a mini-van full of 15" subs. It's different. Although I'd like to hear 15 of these in our Nissan Quest! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Ron, Tom could I persuade you to put these in our mini-van for free???? I'd gladly advertise the product on the van and do demonstrations. [​IMG]
    I believe that it will provide the sound you are seeking. And if it doesn't you can return it within 45 days.