What's new

SVS 25-31 powered by a Denon 2801 (1 Viewer)

GaryMil

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, I'm on the list for the Outlaw 950 which will be powered by a Sherbourn 5/1500a. This frees up my Denon 2801 to power a pair of Rockustic Pavorockies for the Pool area utilizing the second zone that the 950 provides. I was also thinking of getting the SVS 25-31CS and powering it with the Denon. So will this work? Will I get satisfactory results. I believe the Denon is 90 watts per channel into 8 ohms.

Any thoughts????

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
This should work out pretty well. How large is the room? Will you be able to experiment with sub location a bit?(any good corners near the key seating?).

TV

GaryMil

Stunt Coordinator
The room is 13'x20'. The home theater is set up with the sitting area 13' from the TV and speakers. The room is enclosed by 3 sides. The fourth is open and leads into the kitchen which is roughly 15' feet away and that opens for another 15'. So I guess on the left side I have roughly 30' of open space with 9' ceilings. The right side has a wall roughly 4-5' from the prime sitting area.

Speakers are B&W CDM7se main, CDMCse center and Rock Solids rear. I currently have a PS1000 sub. I plan on putting the SVS sub on the right hand wall near a corner providing.

Eujin

Supporting Actor
I'm thinking of getting a 25-31CS too, but the only spare power I have around is my old Onkyo 484 receiver--do you think this will do the trick? My room is roughly 20x15, with the main seating about 10' from my mains (Triangle Titus 202). Like GaryMil, my room is enclosed on 3 sides. The thing is, I'm moving soon and the new room for all this stuff is likely going to be smaller. Thanks!

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi Gary,

That is a larger room, but I think you will surprised by the 25-31cs with only 125w or so. If you plan on running the ps1000 simultaneously with the SVS, I would try to keep them as close together as possible.

Eujin,

The Onkyo should be fine powering a 25-31cs, with (an estimated) 80-100w...the 25-31cs will provide pretty good performance in the large room...and very good performance if you end up in a smaller room(or a room more enclosed).

TV

Eujin

Supporting Actor
Tom,

Thanks for the info. The Onkyo is rated at 55w x 5 channels--there is no spec for 2 channels driven, but I suspect it would fall somewhere near that 80w mark.

GaryMil

Stunt Coordinator
Tom,

The PS1000 will probably be sold, so the SVS 25-31 CS will be a sole performer. The Denon 2801 is 90 watts at 8 ohms. The sub will be the only thing being driven. The rockustics are outside and will remain on the Speaker 'B' inputs. Since only one channel will be used, does the receiver devote more power to just the one? If yes, and can devote all 90 watts to the channel, will the sub have the opportunity to reach its true potential or will it be under-utilized.

Thanks,

Gary

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.