SVS 25-31 PCi and Klipsch KSW-15 Together

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RM Haney, Apr 3, 2002.

1. RM Haney

RM Haney Extra

I am interested in obtaining more kick in the pants bass. I currently use a Klipsch KSW-15 which is located about 18 feet away from the listening area. It seems to do a good job but I just feel that it could be better. When I first got the Klipsch, I placed it in the rear of the room, next to the seating area, using 60 feet of AR interconnects. It sounded great and had the slam I was looking for but hummed so loud it drove me crazy. Moved the sub up front and used a Monster sub cable and sub is silent. Great. The only problem is that the bass no longer punches me in the head. It just kind of makes a boom boom sound and sounds loose and sloppy. I have a couple of options:

1. Lose the Klipsch and get an SVS 25-31 PCi up front and hope the bass tightens up and hits harder.

2. Add an SVS 25-31 PCi to the rear of the room, adjacent to the seating area, and keep the Klipsch up front. I think if I use higher quality sub cable or good quality quad shielded RG-6, I can defeat the hum problem. Keep in mind that the sub in the rear of the room will only be 4 or 5 feet from the listening area.

3. Lose the Klipsch and just use the SVS at the rear of the room.

4. Move the Klipsch back to the rear of the room and use better cable to defeat the hum and forget about the SVS.

5. Do nothing because I am not convinced that the 25-31 PCi will not do anything more than the KSW-15.

My room is approx 22'x14'x10' and my HT equipment is at one end of the long dimension and the couch is at the other.

My wife is fine with the 25-31 PCi but would like to go no bigger than that.

My speakers consist of Klipsch RB-5's and RC-3.

Thanks in advance and your input is always appreciated.

Mike

2. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

Richard,

SVS has a 45 day trial period so you can test with location all you want.

3. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

4. RM Haney

RM Haney Extra

Will the SVS really be a major improvement over the KSW??? I have only had the Klipsch for 6 months so I would hate to dump it only to realize that the improvement was not worth the extra cash.

Mike

5. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

I would try #4 first since RG-6 really isn't very expensive. That way you'll at least find out if you can get rid of the hum. Room placement can make a big difference - as you found out with the KSW. The SVS's can't magically overcome room interaction problems.

6. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Richard, I asked my Mirage dealer to custom make a 35ft shielded rca sub cable (30.00$). My 25-31PCi has no hum, sits in the back corner, and blows me away with each DVD. I just watched TPM and could'nt believe what I have been missing![​IMG] [​IMG]
    Try another cable first!
    If hum gone, decide if thats enough base!
    If not enough base, order PCi!
    If dont like one over another send it back!(although I don't think you will send the SVS back)

7. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

"Do nothing because I am not convinced that the 25-31 PCi will not do anything more than the KSW-15."
    Too bad you don't live closer to me, I could easily convince you other wise[​IMG]
    I have a KSW-15 as well as a 20-39PC. The Klipsch was my first sub and I thought the same as you before ordering my SVS. Did it, and wouldn't change a thing...
    The SVS subs easily out gun the Klipsch under 30hz. They are a pretty comparable sub as far as SPL from 35hz+ but the SVS sounds MUCH tighter, cleaner, and accurate than the 15" Klipsch. SVS is not boomy where the Klipsch will tend to be more so.
    With that said, I still use my Klipsch in my HT. As far as I'm concerned, I'm still getting an extra couple of decibles in the 30-80hz regions. My Klipsch is on the bottom with my 20-39 stacked on top. Just a week or so ago, I was in the market for my second SVS. I just about pushed the order button, but I found a smokin' deal on some mains that I've wanted forever. I will be adding an Ultra sooner than later to my 20-39PC and moving the Klipsch to the living room for a cable TV sub, games, etc.
    If you have spousal approval and the money in the budget, it is a no-brainer...in the opinion of someone with the same gear as yourself. Buy the SVS, HEAR the difference, you WILL be amazed, guaranteed[​IMG]
    Jeremy

8. RM Haney

RM Haney Extra

Jeremy, I would love to come up and listen to your SVS vs. Klipsch demo. However, Tampa to Anchorage would probably cost me more in gas than the $549 SVS wants for the 25-31 PCi! I went ahead and ordered the 25-31 PCi anyways. I figured with the 45 day money back guarantee I couldn't go wrong. Now, I wonder when order number 3185 will ship???

Mike

9. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Hi Richard, thanks for having a little faith my friend [​IMG]
    There is a very accurate POV on the ksw15 already posted in this thread. From about 32-35hz and up...they are real killers. But

10. RM Haney

RM Haney Extra

Thanks for the reply Tom. I will take some digital pictures of my room and e-mail them to you to get advice on placement. As you will see from the photos, my options are limited for having such a big room. Thanks again for the offer of assistance.

Mike