What's new

SVS 25-31 pc+ tuned to 20 hz = 20-39pc+? (1 Viewer)

Douglas Pe

Grip
Hi everyone, I was just curious if you just wanted a SVS subwoofer that went down to 20 hz only (not to 12) why wouldn't you just buy the 25-31, tune it to 20 hz with the port plugs and save $50? Would the actual length of the tube cause the sound to be any better in the case of the 20-39 because that seems to be the only possible reason I can think of for not just going with the 25-31 idea. Thanks.

MingL

Stunt Coordinator
1) By pluggin one port, we raise the likelihood of port noise.

2) Even if the 25-31 was plugged to 20hz tune, this solution compromises design principles of subs. While a 20-39 would just chug along fine with 20hz info, the 25-31 would be driving pretty hard to keep up with the 20-39. Perhaps distortion, bottoming out will be worse...

This coming from me tuning my 16-46 to "12-46" and noticing the difference in objectively measured/subjectively critisized performance. :b

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
You should decide up front on what type of performance you want from the subwoofer, pick the appropriate model, and plan to run it in the stock tune most of the time.

Plugging a port decreases maximum output capability by about 2 dB and also seems to flatten the curve in the mid bass region a bit. It definitely alters the sonic signature of the subwoofer.

The 25-31 will offer the highest output (of the three cylinder enclosure sizes) in the most common bass regions. In exchange for this high SPL capability, it sacrifices some deep extension below 25 Hz.

While plugging a port on the 25-31PC+ will indeed increase its deep extension by about 5 Hz, it will not sound exactly the same or hit quite as hard as a 20-39PC+ in the 18-23 Hz region.

I would not let $50 make or break this important decision. In the long run, you will be more satisfied purchasing the subwoofer that best meets your needs.

Regards,

Ed

Douglas Pe

Grip
Thanks, I was going to go with the 20-39+ anyway I just wanted to see the reasons and I got what I was looking for.

Jeff-Watson

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 20-39pci tuned to 17hz and oh I am so in love as well!!! The pc+ should kick your butt plenty.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks