svs 25-31 anyone else just not impressed

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Harris, Feb 25, 2003.

1. David Harris

David Harris Stunt Coordinator

A freind of mine just received a 25-31 svs sub woofer and although alright, i was not thouroughly impressed with it, he is running a pioneer pioneer vsx 43 tx and the speaker
    are klipsch quintet, the sub overall is very seems light and boomy. Overall,i dont think i will purchase one for myself, but it may just be setup, because so many people on this forum regard this sub so highly...

2. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

i would definitely have your friend contact SVS and see if they cant help the problem before you give up on SVS...

3. keir

keir Stunt Coordinator

a lot of svs reviews seem to use a lot of hyperbole. besides trying to make the point of the persons first impression, it can give people the wrong idea. i wouldnt take every comment at face value. other than that though, svs subs are pretty damn good performers and if it sounds boomy i would bet its a placement issure or theres something else wrong. also, even a pci should be able to get near reference levels with low distortion. if by "light" you mean thats its weak sounding, i advise popping in something like star wars episode 1 pod race, or the landing right at the beginning of episode 2 (or any other bassy movie). it should be able to sound pretty impressive with the right material. my 16-46 pci sure does.

4. David Harris

I meant musically, the performance with cinema is truly
    impressive the ultra low bass is also impressive, it just seems soggy arount the middle listening to music...

5. Bill Polley

Bill Polley Second Unit

What do you cross over at? I have quintets also and my 16-46PCi blends perfectly with them. I am crossed over at 120hz and run a BFD to EQ the room. With my sub placed between the mains, localization is not a problem, and the tiny Klipschs shine with the sub creating a solid bass floor. By the way, the quintets are all wall mounted...their response is much smoother and deeper this way than using them as bookshelfs away from the wall. Must be in the design.

6. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

David,

I would guess one of two things is going on here:

1) The sub is not calibrated/set up correctly, or

2) You are expecting the exaggerated bloat around 50 Hz so many commercial subs employ to sound more powerful than they are.

A lot of the descriptions from SVS owners are misleading, in that what we are impressed with is the accuracy as much as the volume. In many instances the SVS disappears where previous subwoofers demanded attention a la the bloat I mentioned above. When called upon, however, the SVS lets you know its presence in frequencies many of the commercial subs cannot even reproduce at audible decibels. What the SVS provides is flat, clean reproduction of low frequency recorded material.

If number 2, it could take some time sampling movies/music, and if number 1, an email to SVS should clear that up.

-Robb

7. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Hi David,

The performance of any subwoofer will be dictated to a large degree by several variables...

1)the room size and shape(and the number and size of openings into it)
    2)the seating positions
    3)the subwoofer placement
    4)the crossover used for the subwoofer(lowpass) and speakers(highpass)
    5)the relative phasing of the subwoofer(compared to the rest of the speakers).
    6)the overall calibration levels used.

I'm not sure who we are tlaking about(I may have his room shape/layout on file already), but if I knew the details above we might be able to get things working better for him. Of course, this just might be an instance of the SVS not being what you expected...which is were the 45 day trial period comes in..[​IMG]

Please have your friend email me at

[email protected]

When he has time and we'll see if we can get things working a little better for him.

Tom V.
    SVS

8. Scott Ryan

Scott Ryan Auditioning

Hey Tom,

On an unrealted matter....check your e-mail if you get a chance in the next 30 min. I want to see if you think the sub placement I'm thinking of will work. If so, I have to run some cable first thing in the a m before the sheet rockers show up [​IMG]

9. Tom Vodhanel

Hi Scott,

Just did, back at ya...[​IMG]

Tom V.
    SVS

10. David Harris

Tom, my freind is very pleased with the svs, i reccomended the sub to him, i helped him set it up and i am the one not impressed, i havent given up on it yet because room placement may be the issue..... the crossover is set at 120hz,it was originally at 80, but the gap was to obvious..

Maybe it is just do to all of the hype...i expected this
    sub to shine....

Thanks for all of the responces.....

11. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

He may want to check the phase. When I first set up my 20-39CS+, I had accidentally swapped the positive and negative leads. Because of this, bass in the crossover range was getting cancelled and I had it calibrated way higher than it needed to be. A few phase tests later, I fixed the problem. Just an idea...

12. Tom Vodhanel

Hi David,

You'll want to use a 100-120hz XO with the small Klipsch speakers I think. Is he using the subwoofer preout of the receiver to patch in the subwoofer? Don't forget, setting the subwoofer crossover to 120hz won't help if the receiver is lowpass/highpass the sub and speakers at 80hz still [​IMG]

I would expect the SVS to shine too, so if you can experiment with the variables I listed above as time allows I think you'll find things might improve. Of course, doing a simple FR(freq response) check would be invaluable in trouble shooting too. Be sure to let me know (here or in a private email) if there is any way I can help if you start experimenting.

Tom V.
    SVS

13. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

I have an SVS 25-31PCi, and I have nothing but positive comments about it.

I think the Quintets are an entry level speaker, which may or not blend well with the SVS. Maybe he is running the sub to hot.

14. Lee Bailey

Lee Bailey Second Unit

Lee Bailey