What's new

SVS 25-30PCi @ 22hz ? (1 Viewer)

MattJP

Agent
How many of you SVS owners have gone this route. I want to order a sub this week and I cannot decide between the 25-30, 25-30 @ 22hz, or the 20-39. I am leaning toward the smaller unit simply because it is physically smaller...however I will go with the taller unit if there is that big of a difference. Now, back to you who have had your 25-30 tuned lower, are you happy with the results? Is there a large loss in volume? Is the extra extension worth the loss in volume? Can you tell a difference? I am using Paradigm Monitor 5's, a cc370, and Titans in conjunction with an HK 325 if that helps.
Thank you in advance for your replies.

-Matt

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
I bought the 20-39, because I felt it would deliver almost the same volume as the 25 but I would be flat to 20hz. 20hz is considered a standard (ie; 20-20K) your not talking about much difference in size scatter 25s and 20s all over your neighborhood and go to each house and just by glancing at it tell me which one is where.
I know if I bought the 25 I would not be happy even if it went to 20.25hz, still not 20hz, I have forgot about it and have moved on, I am secure that my sub will play 20hz about as load as I could ever want it to. It can get very load if you want it load. Dont let the difference in volume stop you. But 50 bucks is 50bucks.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
The following is a response I got from svs for my 15' * 14' room. He did recommend the 25-31pc plus thinking future use.

That depends (you knew I was going to say that right?? ;^)

In a room your size I’d advise against the lower tune since I think you’ll need all the 25Hz and up energy the PCi can deliver. If you wanted lower performance I’d recommend the 20-39PCi instead.

If you wanted lower AND more powerful, you have to step up to the PC-Plus lines.

Really, I think a stock 25-31PCi will be the right choice. A 22Hz tune will get you a bit lower if you tend to value lower more than louder (remember we’re talking shades of gray here, they would be far more alike than different!).

If you elect a 22Hz tune the only way you can try a 25Hz stock tune is to order a second port for $29. It’s a 10 minute job to switch them, but only the PC-Plus subs are truly “on the fly” custom tuneable

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Is there a large loss in volume?
none that I can tell. my "HT" is in the living room, which is really a living/dining room. dimensions are 26 x 13ft, with the TV and speakers along one of the 13ft walls and the seating area about half-way along the 26ft wall (dining table behind the sofa, if you can visualise it) the room has 10ft ceilings and two additional open passageways, one right next to the left front speaker and SVS.
I have no "lack of loudness" issues, if that's an accurate way to describe it. the SVS is plenty loud, rattles doors -- literally! -- shakes walls and windows, once when I'd left the system on to run-in speakers at a relatively low volume, when I returned home I could hear a bass-line pounding away through the front door, much like when you're outside a club or disco, and for a moment panicked and thought I'd left the volume too high! I hadn't, but the bass carried easily outside.
so if small size is a factor, but you'd like bass as low as feasibly possible in the circumstances, IMHO the 25-31PCi tuned to 22 is an excellent way to do it.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
"I know if I bought the 25 I would not be happy even if it went to 20.25hz, still not 20hz, I have forgot about it and have moved on, I am secure that my sub will play 20hz about as load as I could ever want it to."

Wow. I've played pure sines from 20 - 30Hz on both my 25-31PC and my DIY sonosub tuned to 22Hz. I get lots of output to the low 20's. But my hearing starts to fall off in the 30's and I can't hear a thing below 28Hz - all tactile (and I'm not an old grandpa with hearing aids). The 25-31 with stock tuning will shake the room just fine. Unless your goal is to crack drywall or you have extraordinary hearing I think this sub will more than please you.

I've heard the 20-39's and my aforementioned DIY sub and there's very little difference between them and the 25-31. I've seen probably 50 threads over the last 2 years asking if the 25-31 goes low enough. But I have yet to see a review or comment from a 25-31 owner who thought it was lacking extension. If you think there's even a chance that this sub will satisfy you then save yourself $50 ... you won't look back.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
I am not saying I can hear 20.25hz LOL it is a piece of mind thing, knowing it will do what I want it to do. . .

Steve WC

Stunt Coordinator
Matt,

E-Mail SVS with your room dimensions etc. I was going to go for 22HZ but SVS advised for MY use stay at 25.

Sean L

Stunt Coordinator
I think it's also noteworthy that ordering the 22Hz version isn't a permanent decision, I believe the port plug can be removed turning it back into a 25-31PCi. If you're unsure, email SVS and get the scoop...

Sean in Nor Cal
Denon 2802--KEF Q7/Q9c/Q1--SVS 22-31PCi
Toshiba 43" HDTV, Panny CP-72k

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
It's not a port plug. The PCi's only have one port so if you plugged it you'd have a sealed enclosure. It's the PC+ series that uses 3 ports and port plugs. The 22-31PCi has a longer port than the 25-31PCi.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks