What's new

SVS 20-39PCPlus for Christmas! (1 Viewer)

JohnEF

Stunt Coordinator
My wife surprised my this morning with a huge box by the Christmas tree. When I unwrapped it to my surprise I found an SVS 20-39PCPlus. My wife heard me obsessing about a new sub-woofer for months and I had mentioned this svs speaker (the 20-39PCS was recommended by SVS for my particular room-15 feet wide by 22 feet long with 8 foot ceilings).

The only thing missing is a cable. The rest of my system includes gold reference Pinnacle speakers (7.1) with front LR Towers. They are powered by an outlaw 950/770 combo.

I will report back on the results (this subwoofer is replacing my Pinnacle 250 watt subwoofer-can I use both of them?)

John

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
You've got a hell of a wife, John! Enjoy your new subwoofer! :)

smurr05

Auditioning
I have had this SW for a few months now and it is in a larger "great room" if you will, and still does a great job! Very wholesome sounding bass vs the others I had which sounded more localized, even though I know bass is "non directional". It is bar none the best SW I have had after having a POLK, and a Velodyne which was replaced by this model. It turly kicks butt! Enjoy-

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Great Wife John

I would not spend much on a subwoofer cable. My Radio Shack cable has been perfect for 12 years.

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
There is no way you can use two subwoofers. Just box it up and send the old one to me. I'll see that it is properly disposed.

haahaha...just kidding. Search the forum and there are ideas for setting up two subs.

JohnEF

Stunt Coordinator
Yesterday morning I set up the 20-39PCPlus by using the cable from the old sub-woofer. I do have a Radio Shack sound meter so I realigned all my speakers including the new sub-woofer (everything 75-76 decibels except the new sub-woofer at about 78-79 db as the SVS manual recommended).

Afterwards I tried the sound system out by playing a recommended scene from Return of the King (Bridge of Khazad-Dum or Balrog scene) and the improvement was noticeable over my old sub-woofer. Bass sounds were both louder, cleaner and less boomy and I felt it as much as I heard it. My daughter at the other end of the house also said she heard the results. We're lucky that I have no close neighbors.

I will try the new sub-woofer with other DVD's including Das Boot.

As soon as I get another cable (I got the first one from Radio Shack) I will add in my old sub-woofer and report the results (250 watt 12 inch Pinnacle). Should I order the cable from SVS (and will they give me the reduced price)?

John

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry
I bought a Monster 25' cable 10 years ago; had I been a member of the forum then I wouldn't have paid as much. Don't know if SVS will discount but any decent quality "sub" cable should work fine. After the Pinnacle wins you over again send the SVS to me, I'll give it a good home :)

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Hi John

If you can get an SVS cable really cheaply that is fine, but since you have had no trouble with your Radio Shack cable, you might want to think twice before you spend more than $10 for a cable. If you need any other cables, monoprice.com has about the best cables for the least amount of money. I just ordered 5 pairs of premium stereo 12 foot RCA cables for less than $30 delivered from monoprice.com

Happy New Year

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
John,

Great present for sure! Keep experimenting with your levels on the sub with various movies, keeping that SPL meter reading as a guide. Some processors are a bit mild on the bass test tones, so your ears and personal taste for fine tuning are key.

Indeed the quality of the cable is of little consequence, within reason. We freqeuently hear from people with defective cables, but those we sell have been virtually flawless (they are Better Cables brand, not SVS). In fact I don't know of one in the thousands sold, that's been returned as defective. As long as you have a good quality connection (gold plating there is nice to have) and decent shielding as most RCA cables have today, and it's 75 ohm (resistence rating) you are good to go. Customers of ours that want to get one of the deeply discounted Better Cables interconnects can do so at any time with just UPS shipping tacked on (most folks get them with a sub and thus incur no shipping charges at all).

Don't expect a cable by itself to improve your sound, but certainly defective of very low quality cables can allow signal noise to creep in, or cause bad ground connections etc.

Ron Stimpson
SVS

JohnEF

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply. I have made some further adjustments to the SVS. As the manual suggested, I raised the difference in sound level between the sub-woofer and the rest of the speakers to about 5 decibels to the 2-3 I originally had and the results are even better. The bass sounds are more pronounced but clear and certainly not boomy. We watched the second Pirates of the Carribean movie which has lots of good bass (and it really works the surrounds with sounds of creaking aboard ship for example).

My old sub, which was not bad, would sound rough and " boomy" if the decibel was raised too much.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks