SVS 20-39PCi

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Danny Spencer, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Danny Spencer

Danny Spencer Auditioning

I have been using the SVS 20-39PCi for one week and I must thank all the SVS owners on this forum for recommending these subs. I can't get the smile off of my face while listening to my system. Thanks again.
    Danny

2. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Nice sub, man.....I have had mine for about a month now, and I love it. We had a pretty bad thunderstorm here the other night, and I was amazed.....the live storm outside sounded almost as good as it would have sounded through my PCi20-39 [​IMG]
    Not that they are in need of any more 'good press' about their subs and their customer service, but thought I'd share nonetheless. I actually ordered a PCi25(22)-31 initially. It sounded great except for some sort of rattling noise that was really irritating. Well, as it turned out, it was a loose grill that was most likely the result of UPS mishandling it during shipping. For the trouble of having to pack it back up and return it to SVS, the gave me a complimentary upgrade to the 20-39! Not to mention the fact that while we were trying to figure out the problem, they were in constant contact with me during the entire process.
    It is a pretty amazing feeling to own such an awesome sub, but's it's an even better feeling to know that a company will do whatever they can to make sure their customers are completely satisfied. How many companies can you really say that about nowadays?

3. Todd Bohlke

Todd Bohlke Agent

Alan--

Just out of curiosity, how much of a difference can you tell btwn the 20-39 and the 22-31?

4. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Todd:
    In all honesty, since the grill issue with the 25-31 was apparent from the beginning, I didn't have as much time as I would have liked with it before swapping it out. In the time I did have with it though, there were two things I can say with certainty: First, it is a much more musical sub that you would think, given (what I perceive) as the HT emphasis surrounding the SVS line. With my old Paradigm PDR-10, I had to decrease the gain when I played music because the boominess sounded ridiculous. The 25-31 blended very well with my mains (Paradigm Monitor 5's), and not only did I not have to mess with the sub gain with music, it sounded spectacular even when I ran it a little hot (I ran it about 3-5db hot for HT since we listen at modest levels). Second, there is no doubt that it was all the sub that I would have needed, even for HT applications. I know you've probably heard this many a time in this forum, but the bass literally takes hold of you at certain points during the movie and dramatically changes your movie experience. Even with all the hype these subs get I was still very much taken back by its performance.
    In all honesty, I prefer the size of the 25-31 over the 20-39. My wife would say it's "cuter," and my take would be that the smaller one is just a little more room friendly than the bigger one. The main reason I took Tom up on his generous offer to upgrade was because it just seemed like the 20-39 is better suited to those who lean more toward HT than music. There definitely is not a huge difference between the two that I have noticed, though. If you are trying to decide between the two, maybe consider asking SVS to tune the 25-31 to 22hz. That's what Tom recommended when I first bought it, and it may be why I cannot account for much of a difference between the two. As far as I know, they will still do that for you at no additional charge. No matter which one you go with, though, once it arrives you'll be smiling more throughout the course of your day than you are now [​IMG]