SVS 20-39PCi vs SVS 16-46PC+

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Kleinke, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

I've got an SVS 20-39PC from back in 2001 which I've upgraded with the improved driver so I guess it's more or less a PCi now [​IMG]
    Well I've got the chance to upgrade to a bigger sub if I so desire and the one I'm looking at is the 16-46PC+
    So it's tuned 4 hz lower and it's got a bigger amp, so what will I notice when it's in my system? IE is this a crazy upgrade or should I do it?
    In case it matters I've got Polk LSi's all around (15/C/surround)
    Thanks,
    Brian

2. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Brian,

Whether you notice the upgrade will largely depend on how hard you push your old sub. The PC you have is pretty darn capable and if you don't find it deficient, you might be better off with some other upgrade, or just more DVD's.

But you would need two or three of your PC subs (the amp is less capable than the PCi amp as you know) to equal what the 16-46 PC-Plus can do below 20Hz. Do you like the latest DVD blockbusters at demo level?? Lord of the Rings, Attack of the Clones? Blade 2, Unbreakable, and a host of other movies would prove a PC-Plus worthwhile in short order.

I'd dare say that in a large room at theater levels (and demanding movie programing), you would subjectively find it to be a true "day/night" difference.

Having said all that, at moderate levels, with most music and many movies, in a smallish room, even your modified PC might be more sub than you are likely to stress. It really comes down to your use.

The 45 day SVS return policy is there to help folks evaluate this sort of thing though.

Ron

3. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Brian;
    Forgive me in case I'm wrong, but are you one of the people who attended a little HTF meet I organized here in the Twin Cities a while back? You know, the one where we saw a theatrical screening of Superman: The Movie? Your name sounds very familiar.
    In any case, send me an e-mail or private message. I could help you out with this decision. [​IMG]

4. ScottATL

ScottATL Stunt Coordinator

Brian, just how much do you like your Polks?

5. Brian Kleinke

Ron,
    We bought a house in Nov. so I'm in a larger room now then I was, and plan on building a theater in the basement. I love pushing the sub (my wife is the limiting factor). My LSi-15s do have a passive sub in them, so they produce some base as well. So what I really love is the low stuff, < 30 hz.
    Jeffrey, yuppers tis the same me [​IMG] Check your PMs
    Scott, in a word I LOVE my LSis.

6. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Let's stack them up:
    190W (older PC amp) vs. 525W Indigo BASH amp
    (current production PCi's have the 320W Indigo BASH amp)
    a 70% increase in port area
    the more capable TC sounds dB-12 driver
    a solid 4 dB more max output above 30 Hz, 6 dB more max output from 30-20 Hz, and probably 8+ dB more max output from 20-15 Hz
    adjustable SS filter (25,20,16,12)
    0/180 vs. infinitely variable phase
    port plugs with flexible tuning capability (although the merit of tuning a 16-46 series for even deeper extension is questionable, the capability is there nonetheless)
    I think its human nature - the more capable your subwoofer is, the more you will explore and enjoy its higher limits. Who buys a ZO6 Vette without expecting to rip off a few 0-60 runs in 4 seconds? Or maybe stretch its legs on a deserted stretch of highway and see what 150 feels like? I think a 16-46PC+ would be a pretty major performance and extension improvement over your current sub and I also think you would immediately reap and enjoy the benefits of ownership.
    But the real kicker is this line: "Well I've got the chance to upgrade to a bigger sub if I so desire...". How many times in our life do we find ourselves in that enviable position? [​IMG]
    Ed

7. Brian Kleinke

[​IMG] When you put it that way Ed...
    I've found once you get past the low hundred dollar point it becomes a lot harder to sell off older items. Sure it's possible but not as likely.
    On thing that's always bugged me when calibrating an SVS is how the Radioshack meter is off when you get to the lower bass, and since I listen to both music and movies I have issues when it comes to makeing it just right (good old Sony ES-9000 doesn't allow seperate bass configurations for the different inputs.)
    Perhaps when I get the 9000P and an ICBM this will become moot, but I don't have that yet [​IMG]
    I still find it interesting how much bass my tower's produce even though I've got em set to small with a 100hz crossover. But the biggest reason I love the SVS is for the stuff below 40hz, the truely gut renching stuff [​IMG]
    Brian

8. Brian Kleinke

Oh one thing I should make sure is clear...
    I LOVE my SVS 20-39PC [​IMG]