What's new

SVS 20-39pci vs 25-31 pci? (1 Viewer)

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Ok so the diff between the two is that you can tune the 20-39 down to 20hz. Is this worth the extra 50 bucks...oh yeah and it is 39" high vs 32.5".

Opinions........

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
don't forget that the 20-39 trades off some SPL at higher frequencies in order to be able to go lower.
so if you need a bit more volume, the 25-31 might be more suitable; if you want bass as low as possible the small sacrifice of 1 or 2 dBs at higher frequencies would be a small price to pay for flat response down to 20Hz.
in my case, it was more down to potential WAF problems, hence I chose the smaller 25-31 -- but had it tuned to 22Hz instead, as a compromise: I get flat response to 22Hz, at the cost of some dBs (which I don't need since I live in an apartment), and a smaller (and cheaper;) ) sub.
of course, the wife still wasn't happy about the huge monster standing next to the TV console. :D

Shane Yates

Stunt Coordinator
I went with the 20-39 PCi because I prefer lower bass response as opposed to louder bass potential.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
Even in the stock 25Hz tune, the 25-31 should extend down to maybe 22Hz with useable output in your room. And I find that things go sub-sonic for me somewhere in the upper 20's. So unless you've got better ears or you're really determined to get every bit of tactile response you'll be very, very happy with the "small" SVS. I was expecting to miss out on some of the lowest bass, but was surprised to find my 25-31 covers the low-end audible range for me. I have heard the 20-39's and I've built a 22Hz DVC sub and these confirm what I've said.

Don't discount the extra output of the smallest SVS. Aside from the natural advantage it gets from its higher tune consider also that the higher rumble filter setting will filter out more of the low,low,low,inaudibly low frequencies that tend to bring even the best woofers to their excursion limits. So when that Toy Story 2 logo hits the screen and other subs are buckling under the mountaneous subsonic signals, the 25-31 will play the audible stuff, shake the walls and cruise right on through. Of course this is only true for the PCi model since the CS models have no amplifier or rumble filter.

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
Yeah but doesn't that also mean if the PCi models have a rumble filter, the 20 and 16hz will go even lower than the 25hz and still not hit an excursion limit?

The problem is our room is about 2800 cubic feet and I can only afford the PCi models.

-ELmO

Sean L

Stunt Coordinator
The problem is our room is about 2800 cubic feet and I can only afford the PCi models.
I just bought a 25-31PCi (tuned to 22Hz) and I have a 6000+ sq ft room. This sub absolutely ROCKS! Bass is clean, tight, and hits very hard. If I were you, I wouldn't be too worried about getting a 25-31PCi. It's was more sub than I expected for $589 delivered.

Sean in Nor Cal

JohnDG

Stunt Coordinator
Just a note: in an e-mail SVS reported that there was no excursion limiter on the driver of a 16-46PCi.

jdg

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
SVS Powered Cylinder Series Response Comparison Chart said:
Tom's recommendation was good enough for me (... he is the SVS mastermind designer ...) and as my 25-31PCi vs. SW15 Review indicates, ... I'm was and PRESENTLY one very "HAPPY" :D HT enthusiast!!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
My brother was so impressed with my SVS 25-31PCi, .... he bought a SVS 25-31PCi during the $499 summer sale (JBL NSP1 / Yamaha RX-V995) despite his wife’s protest!! Interestingly, (after REF Calibrating) my brother's wife now loves the full-blown DD/DTS 5.1 Cinema Theater SPL playback of their favorite blockbuster DVD's!
If money and size doesn't matter, get the SVS 20-39PCi! If you're on a budget and the size height might be an issue, rest assure that if you choose the SVS 25-31PCi, you won't be disappointed with it's near, LFE sub-sonic SVS 20-39PCi performance!!
Money and size was not an issue for me, my model choice decision was based on SVS Powered Cylinder Series Response Comparison Chart! The SVS 25-31PCi - IS the BEST HT INVESTMENT I've made!!! Let me say once more - Thanks!! Ron & Tom - the heart and soul behind SVS!
NOTE: Because my website is 'FREE', hosted by GeoCities, if too many HT enthusiasts visit, GeoCities will shut it down for an hour or so because it exceeded the specified 'freebie' Data Transfer Rate. Sorry about that, just bookmark it and visit my site an hour later or when everyone has gone to bed!
Phil

Ross_K

Auditioning
Phil,

I have a similar sized room, also with wood flooring on a slab (slightly higher ceiling) and am struggling with what to get. I assume you have one 25-31 PCi. Is it sufficient for that room for HT? Why the 25-31 PCi vs. the PC+?

Also, given money/size was not an barrier, why not the Ultra?

Finally, if the 25-31 extends down to about 21, what is then the advantage of the other lines of subs since most people can't hear below 20 anyway?

MatthewK

Stunt Coordinator
Well, many people get subs so they can *FEEL* the bass as well as hear it. Anything below 20 is felt but not heard.... :)

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
... if the 25-31 extends down to about 21, what is then the advantage of the other lines of subs since most people can't hear below 20 anyway?
My guess so they can stop their pace-makers!! ;) Seriously, from what I understand, the Ultra & 16-46PCi will send an Organ (Mighty Wurlitzer w/32-foot long tube to reproduce the 32 Hz note) fan into sub-sonic felt bliss!! As much as I like some Organ based music (2001 Movie Score - Richard Strauss' Thus Spake Zarathustra- in my Delos DVD Space Spectacular DVD), my main interest was HT and Jazz music - mostly keyboard artist like David Grusin, David Benoit, Joe Sample, Diana Krall, etc. So if your a Organ music fan, it's the Ultra or 16-46PCi for you!!!
Very few DVD's have LFE encoded material below 20 Hz, and if it does, it's about 2 or 3 total seconds in the entire 2 hour movie. The majority if not all DD/DTS LFE effects is within in the 20-36hz range.
Once your HT setup is properly REFERENCE Calibrated, the SVS 25-31PCi LFE sub-sonic power to move air (pant leg), couch, floor, walls and cleanly reproduce those lower frequency without directing attention to itself is just glorious!! The entire HT setup just blends seamlessly together from 20Hz - 20 kHz overall sound spectrum, pulling you into the blockbuster movie or 2-channel music presentation! Yes - it is just 'glorious and with much honor' (to quote a well-known Klingon Worf! - Nemesis released this Friday:) )!
Hope this helps,
Phil

Ross_K

Auditioning
Thanks very much for the insight, Phil and Matthew.

This is helping me decide. If space is not a significant concern, why not the 20-39PCi or PC+ rather than the 25-31?

Also, do you have an equalizer with your SVS, and if you do, is it useful for the adjustments or do you think ultimately not very helpful?

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
...do you have an equalizer with your SVS... ?
Nope! Just REF Calibrated using Video Essentials dedicated LFE test tone = 81 dB AVG (where the highest swing of the RS SPL Meter needle just touches 83 dB & lowest swing touches 79 dB). Rest of my speakers = 75 dB

I own the Delos DVD Spectacular and it includes 20Hz - 20 kHz sweep for each (5.1) channel and playing those test tones reveals that the blend from the lowest frequency up thru the Yamaha fixed 90 Hz x-over is very smooth.

Phil

MatthewK

Stunt Coordinator
The 25-31 (PC+ and PCi versions) overall has greater SPL capability. The 20-39 has greater extension but slightly lower SPL capability.
Matthew
(Oh, and the 25-31 is a little less expensive. :) )

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
My listening area is 4500 cu.ft. and I opted for the dual 25-31CS S-700 package with 22Hz tune. I wanted some head room for when I finally build our HT room down stairs and I got plenty of it.

If I was going to use a sub just dedicated to movies I might have gone with the others. But since I listen to a lot of music I wanted something that could really pound and these two deliver. I am continually impressed by the little guys of their line up.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
I will most likely go with the 25-31pci due to price and size. My mains are about the same height as the 31pci so that is one of the reasons plus my room is like 15' * 14' so it is not that big.
The other thing is that I have not heard any one complain that the 25-31pci couldn't handle most movies that hit that low...so why spend more money if you don't have to. Right!!
Just have to convince the woman on this beast...

Current Setup:

RECEIVER PIONEER VSX-D811S
EQUALIZER KENWOOD 1070EK
DVD PLAYER PIONEER DV-333
TV TOSHIBA 36A40
VCR SONY SLV695HV
CENTER CHANNEL ACOUSTIC RESEARCH AR-4C
BOOKSHELF ACOUSTIC RESEARCH AR-17
MAIN SPEAKER ACOUSTIC RESEARCH AR-11
SUBWOOFER ACOUSTIC RESEARCH AR-S112PS

POWER SURGE ACOUSTIC RESEARCH AR-10V
SUBWOOFER CABLE MIT RG-59
BI WIRE CABLE MIT - BI WIRE TERMINATOR
COMPONENT VIDEO CABLE IXOS 1713-200
COAXIAL CABLE IXOS 1061-100
CENTER CHANNEL WIRE IXOS 6007
SUBWOOFER CABLE IXOS 1182
VHS CABLES ESOTERIC AUDIO USA AVK2

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Just have to convince the woman on this beast...
Well, ... 'may the force be with you!'
Even thought the SVS 25-31PCi is the smaller cylinder sub vs. the SVS 20-39PCi, most wifes comments are ...
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

... when the see the SVS 25-31PCi!!!
Come to think of it, ... when UPS carefully place my SVS Box on my porch, ... I had the same reaction, ... then when I told the UPS driver what was inside the box, ... he had the same above reaction!!! :D
If you haven't seen my webshot pic's of the box and size comparison to my 200w 15" AudioSource SW15, Click Here!
FYI:
• Right HT corner = 6' Yamaha Grand Piano
• AudioSource = Dimensions ... 21.5" H x 16" W x 19" D, 68 lbs.
• SVS 25-31PCi = Dimensions ... 32.5" tall, 16" in diameter
Phil

Jason Reich

Stunt Coordinator
I have a small room 17.5Lx9.5Wx7.5H, I opted for the 25-31pci with the 22hz tuning option. I calibrated it to 80db with VE, my volume on my pci is a tad over half way. I hit reference with no effort at all, I have went to 10dbs over ref on my reciver volume control(reference is -20 I take it to -10 when I really need a fix) I have NEVER bottomed it out and it has never sounded strained at all. Just amazing. Everyone who has heard my set up has been blown away. It shakes EVERYTHING! I had to relocate a couple paintings out of fear they would fall, they were two rooms away! either choice 25-31 or 20-39 is a great investment. Sure my wife had issues with it at first, but it blends into my front left corner, you don't even notice it(of course until you fire it up!). After hearing it she became a believer!! My $.02

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Has any one listened to the scene in Mission Impossible II in the begining with all the dancing stuff. There seems to be some good bass there on my current sub.
How does it sound on an SVS.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Absolutely realistic, fantastic and dynamic!!! :emoji_thumbsup: Actually, MI2 has a rocking LFE track wimpressive DD-5.1 seamless surround effects!!!
Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks