SVS 20-39PCi or DIY Adire Tempest?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Steve Griswold, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Steve Griswold

Steve Griswold Stunt Coordinator

I was set on buying a 20-39PCi, when I found someone offering a DIY Sonotube Tempest for $400.

I know that's a good deal, but which would be more worth my money? The individual selling the sub is in a different state so I can't go hear it for myself, however. I have known him for some time so I can say that the craftmanship would be far better than I am capable of. [​IMG]

2. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Stunt Coordinator

email adire and svs... you don't have to worry about getting bad information from svs, Tom will give you the straight facts...

3. JakubH

JakubH Stunt Coordinator

Well how much are you saving with the DIY sonosub? I think a vented tempest (with worthy amplification) would be all the sub most people would need. Then again, with the SVS you'd have a warranty etc. I guess it depends on how much more for the SVS.

4. Steve Griswold

Well the SVS 20-39PCi is $599 + shipping.

The Tempest is $400 + shipping, but I'd need an amp. I figure with the cost of an amp and shipping of the sub I'd be looking at roughly the same price for both.

I guess it's just a question of which is the better performer in a 1600cf room (hardwood floor, 2 openings to hallway and 1300cf room, respectively)

5. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

One other thing to consider regarding the purchase of an SVS is the SVS team spends a great deal of time ensuring their sub components are "matched". also with SVS the platform has its specs where the DIY is an intrepation of sub theory and spec.

SVS builts a number of subs and thoroughly and rigorously tests there platforms.

With SVS $624 will get you a sub with an amp and many resources to help you along the way.

For $429 plus shipping you can get a CS 2039 in a box with known and documented specs.

Please understand I am not trying to pass judgment on the DIY person.

6. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

It could go either way. The Tempest is probably a little more powerful, but I bet it's also bigger and uglier. Do you know what particular alignment it uses?

7. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

If size and resale isn't a consideration the Tempest, depending on alignment (sealed lesser output and may not be as clear if the sub is too small) should most likely out do the SVS in most cases.

Based on what I've seen here and few other websites the SVS has a pretty good resale so if/when you decide to upgrade it might be the better choice for this purpose.

My advice for an amp is to buy the PE/MCMelectronics plate amp or the rythmic plate amp and see if they can ship it without any equalization. If you think that you might go for a dual setup later a proamp shouldn't hurt much (QSC are pretty cheap and there are a lot of decent cheap amps).

8. Peter_A_M

Peter_A_M Stunt Coordinator

How would Tempest compare to an SVS Ultra

Both Dan Wiggins and Tom Vodhanel weigh in on the thread, as do a number of knowledgeable users, so you at least know you're getting a scientifically balanced perspective on it all. If looks are a concern, though, and you trust the owner's craftsmanship, I say go for the Tempest. Just buy a $120 or so 250 W plate amp from Parts Express and you'll be set.

Peter

9. JohnMW

JohnMW Second Unit

Steve, you must have been browsing the AnandTech FS/T Forum. Honestly I wasn't impressed with Gregg's craftsmanship. However it might sound like a bat out of hell and to you that might be all that truly matters.

Several pics of the DIY Tempest for sale

10. Peter_A_M

Peter_A_M Stunt Coordinator

If that's what the sub really looks like, I still say go for it. Sure some people will say it's too big, obtrusive, and has obvious cosmetic defects, but to those people, I say it has character. You can't have enough of that these days. Well, there's that, and good, big drivers like the Tempest like lots of room to really sing, and since it seems like this sub has about 8+ cubic feet of room to work with, it should really work out well. Provided the sub is tuned properly, the twin flared ports just sweeten the deal.

(Oh, and two guesses as to which camp I'm in. [​IMG] )

Best,
    Peter

11. Steve Griswold

Come to think of it I might consider the STF-3 from Hsu Research as well. It's only a 30 minute drive to their office and it would be absolutely no risk to try it out.

12. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

If that's an Adire allignment Tempest it will definately outgun a 20-39PCi or a Hsu STF3. Especially down really low.

Dual 3" flared ports will however not allow a Tempest to reach it's full potential. Price you pay for a design that tries to get the enclosure size down a bit. Can't fit the dual 4" ones anymore.