SVS 20-39PC Phase Control Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Fred Pfeifer, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Fred Pfeifer

Fred Pfeifer Auditioning

I just want to make sure that I'm not missing something here. I have a Dolby Digital receiver and have set all of the speakers to "small". With my DD receiver, that means all frequencies at 90Hz or below are directed to the subwoofer. Although it's not specifically stated in my owners manual, I'm assuming that no frequencies higher than 90Hz are being directed to my subwoofer. So my question is; if only the subwoofer is handling the 90Hz- frequencies and none other, is there any reason to adjust the phase control on the SVS 20-39PC's amplifier? If not, does it matter where the phase control is set? 0? 90? 180?

Thanks in advance for your response.

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Hi Fred,

The phase control can help blend the *overlap* between the subwoofer and the main speakers. Remember, an 80hz highpass on the mains isn't a brickwall...it's a gradually slope. Same for the subwoofer. An 80hz lowpass will still allow signals >80hz to the sub...they will just be gradually attenuated. Usually,a simple 0/180 *flip* of the switch/knob is fine (like reversing polarity on a passive sub).

TV