What's new

SVS 20-39pc+ Ordered (1 Viewer)

Todd_Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
I just ordered a SVS Sub from all the great things said i have read on numerous message boards. How do all you owners out there enjoy, I am replacing a PSW650 Polk Sub and was wondering if I will hear much difference?
Thanks

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
Todd,

Not only will you hear a difference, you will FEEL a difference. And the difference is SIGNIFICANT! Get you test discs ready: Toy Story 2 - opening few minutes, Phantom Menace pod race, Haunting - leaky pipes, footsteps, Lord of the Rings - start at Moria and play for about 15 minutes...

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Hi Todd:

Recognize you from Club Polk (Dr. Spec here). I was running two PSW350's that had more SPL capability (but less extension) than one PSW650, and the 20-39 PC+ BURIES my old rig. You will not be disappointed. The PSW650 is a decent sub, but the SVS is in a different league entirely.

Ed Mullen

Todd_Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys I cant wait to hook this thing up, i should have it on tues-thursday.

I have the onkyo 797 and if there is any recommened setup for this it would be great. For anyone that has this sub can you give me some hookup tips. This sub has many more ways to hook up then my current.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Easy - run ONE sub cable from the LFE pre-out to either the left or right low level inputs. Disable the crossover. Set your speaker size to small, and your sub to on.

Set your receiver sub volume at -5, and then set the sub gain on the plate amp to around 1/2 for starters. Use the plate amp for gross calibration adjustments in the beginning, and fine tune calibration with the receiver sub volume control. Avoid extremes with the sub volume control; try to keep it around -5 to -3 as a final setting.

Be sure to calibrate using test tones or a DVD calibration disc and your SPL meter. Proper calibration means for any given master volme setting at the receiver, you will run your sub at the same volume (or maybe 2-3 dB higher) as the rest of the speaks. Most calibration occurs at 75 dB at the listening position, but some DVDs call for 85 dB.

Ed Mullen

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
One more thing you might consider is using a Y at the sub R-L inputs. This can make quit a difference.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Adding a Y-splitter will double the pre-out signal strength. The same thing can be accomplished by doubling the sub volume at the receiver. There is no actual "sonic" benefit to running a Y splitter - the sub can't tell the difference - the plate amp simply senses an increase in input signal strength and it plays louder.

The only real valid reason to use a Y splitter would be if you were experiencing "auto-off" problems at low volumes. In this case, a Y splitter would help keep the sub plate amp turned on due to the higher signal strength as compared to one cable.

Just remember to keep your sub volume on the receiver at around -5 to -3; lowering it all the way (say to -10) will unnecessarily increase the S/N ratio of the pre-out signal, and maxing it (say to +10) will result in signal compression problems.

Then.......calibrate, calibrate, calibrate!

Ed Mullen

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Edward explains it well Mike except I would just add, in my mind Its better not turning my gain on the sub or my gain on the receiver up to much and using a Y can help to enforce, a strategy tool if you will. Some sub manuals will recommend this procedure as well. There have been posts from users whom have benefitted from this including myself.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
PS--- At the bottom of Edwards post he says to calibrate, calibrate, calibrate. You absolutely have to do this. I let mine get out of whack adjusting the center to accommodate other members in the house and then I would adjust the sub up to accommodate me when they were gone. I just re-calibrated and what a difference. How did I let this get so out of whack? Now it stays put.:emoji_thumbsup:

Scott Goldsmith

Stunt Coordinator
I just got my 20-39 PC+ yesterday and my god this thing is amazing!!! It's stomps my old Polk PSW650, you can't even compare them, totally different league!! I can totally hear and FEEL the difference, like night and day, I never knew things were there in the movies that I can feel now!

I'm using the y-adapter on mine right now, I haven't used an SPL meter yet to calibrate it, haven't had a lot of time to play yet, I plan to get a SPL meter today and then tune it for sure.

SVS did a great job with these subs, one of the best subs in my mind!!!

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I remember you talking about your new SVS on the way Scott. It's nice to get a new piece of gear that performs so well. After you calibrate you will even think more of it. A good new DVD that is out is called Brotherhood Of The Wolf imo. Plug this in and let your SVS give things a shake if you dare. It has a intro that I do not recall seeing before to that you know it would take a good sub to play with authority.

Jon_Liu

Stunt Coordinator
Todd,

I can say going from the PSW-650 to an SVS, regardless of which model SVS you go with, it will surely make a difference like no other. Remember though, you gotta calibrate it properly to make the biggest difference. If you immediately hook it up and turn it on and test it out, you might be quite dissappointed. Of course, most likely it won't be the sub's fault, some setting my not be right or something of that sort. But I guarantee that the PSW-650 will be blown out of the water. I don't have the PC+ series, I only have the PCi series 20-39 but I can tell you that even with my lesser of the svs's I was/still am THOROUGHLY impressed. I remember the 650 had a hard time even going below 30hz, but my 20-39 goes down to 20hz probably past it as well at immense volumes. Eitherway, best wishes for you and your sub (once it arrives).

Jon

Todd_Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Todd:

Recognize you from Club Polk (Dr. Spec here). I was running two PSW350's that had more SPL capability (but less extension) than one PSW650, and the 20-39 PC+ BURIES my old rig. You will not be disappointed. The PSW650 is a decent sub, but the SVS is in a different league entirely.

Ed Mullen

Crazy... I just setup my same SVS i ordered in this thread from 2002... Ed are you still on here? Been using it over the years but had some years at a small house it just sat because no room.. Well i just moved into a new home with 2 bonus rooms and i finally after 20 years have a dedicated HT room... "The other bonus room i want to turn into a pool table game room".

The 20-39 PC+with the Samson amp is still hitting hard... If i was to upgrade which SVS would i have to start with that would be an upgrade? Its been so long since ive been in the game.... I may start a new thread but just thought this was cool posting and being an original SVS owner and still using the same one.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Crazy... I just setup my same SVS i ordered in this thread from 2002... Ed are you still on here? Been using it over the years but had some years at a small house it just sat because no room.. Well i just moved into a new home with 2 bonus rooms and i finally after 20 years have a dedicated HT room... "The other bonus room i want to turn into a pool table game room".

The 20-39 PC+with the Samson amp is still hitting hard... If i was to upgrade which SVS would i have to start with that would be an upgrade? Its been so long since ive been in the game.... I may start a new thread but just thought this was cool posting and being an original SVS owner and still using the same one.
I would say the 3000 series would be considered an upgrade, or anything above the 3000.

Todd_Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
Got the pb 3000

Attachments

• 9EF5E429-251D-46AA-B27B-7B394AFE36E8.jpeg
    9EF5E429-251D-46AA-B27B-7B394AFE36E8.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 83
  • 6222D0DF-EE97-4DDE-9167-899BA5D3D865.jpeg
    6222D0DF-EE97-4DDE-9167-899BA5D3D865.jpeg
    200.6 KB · Views: 83
  • AA7B10F8-DB82-4625-8A85-BC62F374EA0D.jpeg
    AA7B10F8-DB82-4625-8A85-BC62F374EA0D.jpeg
    224 KB · Views: 81

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks