SVS 20/39PC amp turning off..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Dubeau, Sep 18, 2002.

1. Mark Dubeau

Mark Dubeau Stunt Coordinator

I've been having a strange intermittent problem with my SVS amp. It is always set in 'auto' mode and every once in a while when watching TV at relatively low volumes, the 'auto' mode just shuts off. If I then turn it to ON, it starts working again and I hear the bass.. If I then turn to AUTO, it's OK again for several days. Anyone have any ideas?

2. JamesFarina

JamesFarina Agent

Hi Mark.. I don't have an SVS but I have had a few plate amps in my day. I think what's happening is the signal sent to your sub (via RCA or speaker leads) isn't high enough. The amp needs to see a certain amount of voltage for it to turn on. If your volume is low then that voltage is low, which turns off the amp. Try turning the volume up. If the sub is too loud then try calibrating it at a lower level. Hope this helps.

3. Richard Harvey

Richard Harvey Stunt Coordinator

Yep, this is covered in the manual. Try to increase your output sub levels on your receiver, and turn down the volume on the SVS. You can still calibrate to the same levels, just adjust on the receiver first (just make sure to leave enough headroom of dB's; I believe the manual recommends 6dB headroom).

Rich

4. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

How one combines the output settings on the receiver and the sub is primarily a matter of convenience.Just avoid the extremes at either end.

As noted, lowering the volume knob on the sub slightly and increasing the receiver's internal subwoofer *leveler* will usually take care of the subs that go to sleep to often. Just be sure to recalibrate with a SPL meter whenever you start changing the volume settings,

TV

5. JohnDG

JohnDG Stunt Coordinator

It also helps if you use a Y splitter to feed both the L and R SVS inputs from the single lead RCA cable from the receiver (if you are not already doing this).

Using a splitter increases the total volts into the sub inputs. Then recalibrate at a lower gain level on the sub for the same volume level.

jdg