What's new

SvS 20-39cs question (1 Viewer)

Scot Pritchard

Stunt Coordinator
I was wandering if I should uses the peak limiter on the b&K ref30 with a svs 20-39cs sub would it help or hurt.

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Scot,

Generally we don't like "peak limiters". You either shouldn't need one at all (meaning you have some really good subs, or very modest needs), or you should consider getting a better (or more) sub. Limiters cut off bass, in one way or another.

Limiters essentially do this: they cut the levels, or the depth of the bass you SHOULD be hearing.

If your SVS never "bottoms" or sounds distorted in any way you can rest easy you are getting all (or very close to it) you should be hearing. If it does bottom then YOU should be the limiter and turn your sub down some. You'll still have the (bass) dynamic range you should have, albeit at lower levels.

With a peak limiter you are typically "compressing" the bass so that you never really know what you are chopping off.

That's a long way of saying turn your limiter to the least limiting setting and calibrate with a test disc and sound meter as the manual stipulates.

Keep off the limiter unless you seem to have problems with s specific movie now and again. Folks that find themselves needing limiters to keep their subs from distorting need more subs, simple. Limiters in the end are a poor substitutes for enough "woofage" and proper calibration.

Ron

Scot Pritchard

Stunt Coordinator
I have it shut off now and ever thing is calibrated to 75db one question the samson amp 700 is turned up all the way is that going to be a problem.

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Scot,

If I didn't know any better I'd say you haven't read my Owners Manual.

For SHAME!

(It's OK, you think SVS reads all their HT equipment manuals? ;^)

The Samson can indeed be all the way up. In fact, less than 3/4's up and you might have your receiver's sub level up too high.

Also, 75dB for the sub is pretty conservative, even with no limiters. Technically, it's "correct" but unless you are doing reference level blasts of The Phantom Menace, you might want to goose it up some. For typical movie viewing (as indicated in the manual. There I go again!) where you are usually -12db to -6dB from reference levels then a nice boost of a few dBs might yield a more impressive HT experience. Having both upward and downward adjustability in the subwoofer via your receiver's remote is what you are striving for. This way you can raise or lower the sub easily as you get more familiar with its tremendous capability.

Make sure you have at least 4 to 6dBs of DOWNWARD adjustment left on your receiver's sub level, otherwise you are all set. Enjoy (and don't lose that manual, there will be a quiz on the contents of page 6 tomorrow ;^0)

Ron

Scot Pritchard

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Ron by the way I did read the manual.Think i might be adding a second sub once the funds are their;) ;) you guys make a great product Ive been searching for bass like this for four years now. Makes music sound really good.

Greg Br

Second Unit
Ron or TV

Question about calibration with the Samson. As you know I added the SA-155 in order to get the LFE boost I needed. The Samson/sa-155 adds a nasty ground loop to my subs, but if I turn the Samson down to -10db setting(-20db is full gain) and set my receiver sub level to -15(which is 25%) and set the SA-155 to 4 out of 10 that yields me a +5 calibration over reference with the abilty to adjust downward as we talked about. This effectivley reduces the ground loop to a point where there is no audible noise. The question is, are there any negatives to running the Samson at anything less than full gain?

Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks