What's new

SVS 20-39 PCi sub arrived (1 Viewer)

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
This is just going to be a short review. Packaging was nice, enough to withstand accident drops by UPS. But of course, they still should take care of it. I opened the box, the sub was covered with thick plastic. It came with a powerplug + the manual.

It's tall but very elegant. I like the felt cloth, makes it real classy. But I wish it was pure black. I noticed it when it stood beside my paradigm atoms. Or it could just be the effect of each strand being hit by my lighting.

Ok, I hooked it up to my yamaha rxv-1400 and started the YPAO. Took only 5 mins. I had to go back to manual setup as noticed that my front speakers were configured as LARGE. I also had to change the BASS out since it was pointing to both FRONT and SWFR. I also set my crossover to 100hz.

I auditioned 3 movies this morning; a) Finding Nemo b) Saving Private Ryan and c) Pearl Harbor. I was not happy with the sub result. Honestly, i was sooooo ECSTATIC!!! hehehe....

I had to turn off my drop ceiling lights because they were shaking. And also, my wife in 1st floor was wondering what was happening coz she didn't see the UPS guy and I already had it installed. She told me that floor in 1st floor was shaking. This was at 0db in my receiver.

Honestly, it's just now that I saw the beauty of my Paradigm Atoms too. It's because, before it was set to LARGE and BASS was set to FRONT. Then when I turn the volume to -14db, my Atoms was creating a popcorn sound when it encounters scene that has bass. So I was always stucked with -15db when watching. But today, my 20-39PCi SVS sub changed my movie experience. I can go as high as +3db and I can see the power of the highness of the ATOMs plus the deep bass that the sub produces. I thought I was inside AMC theater and it's no joke. I can't wait to buy Paradigm CC170 for center and ADP170 for my surround. I'm actually still hesitant to go with ADP170 because it's expensive. I'm thinking of buying another pair of ATOMS for my surround.

You guys are right, I felt the sub's output in my skin.

In a nutshell, svs sub will give you more house maintenance, hehehehe!!! Guys, I'm very happy with my new 20-39Pci. Thanks for all the inputs before.

Ok guys, see your replies later. :)

Hey Ronneil! I'm waiting for my 16-46PCi that should be here tomorrow! I'm replacing a Paradgim PDR8 that EVERYONE thought sounded great. BTW-go to your dealer and audition the ADP's vs. the Atoms for the rears. After all it's your ears. I'm using Titans for my rears with Monitor 9's upfront and in movies I like the direct sound source effect.
It's good to hear about another satisfied SVS owner- it eases the "bought unheard" questions all ways in mind!
Cheers,
Steve

Jason Brent

Second Unit
Hi Ronneil,

Glad you like it.

Question about YPAO's sub calibration, for you or anyone else who knows...

Has anyone confirmed the accuracy of the LFE calibration of the auto systems to AVIA or DVE?

Thanks

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
Ronneil, just to clarify, what isthe range of your volume control. you mention listening at -15 decibels then 0db's then +3 db's.

may I ask what the lowest setting is and the highest setting is?

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator

Hi Mike,

The -15db I mentioned earlier was only for me to clarify something. But in my setup now, I just used -5db.

Lowest setting that my Yam can take is -20db for the sp level and 0 for the highest. This is different from the reference level or what we call main volume. I think my main can go as high as +80db, yikes. :)

Thanks guys....

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator

Hi Mike,

I got confused with your message. Sorry, I was thinking about my yesterday's post. Anyways, yes, -15db when I only had the 2 front Paradigm Atoms. When I set the volume a little higher, say -10db or -8db, I get popping sound in my atoms because it can't handle bass well. Now, since I configured my Fronts as SMALL, setting it to 0db to +3db, the atoms sounded very well. This is because, my crossover was at 100hz. Low sound(LFE) gets sent now to my subwooder.

There were high pitch sounds before that I couldn't here in -15db. Now, since it's 0db, I can hear other some small creature(not seen though) in the movie Lord of the Rings.

I hope I answered your question.

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
put it this way, when the main volume is the lowest, what is the setting and when it it the loudest, what is the setting

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
I can't check it now. But as far as I remember, the lowest is -60 to -80 db. And for the highest, I really haven't tried it. I think, it can take +60 to +80db too.

I tried searching my manual, I didn't see any number.

I'll get back to you with exact numbers later.

Just curious, why do you want to know the value?

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
as a reference as to how loud you listen to your stereo at.

you say your Atom's pop at -14 db's

see my pre/pro goes from -74 db's to 0db's

so when you said you just got your sub then turned it to 0 db's, i thought you had just went and turned it alllllll the way up, which would explain the atoms not handling. and I would also be surprised if only your floor was shaking at full volume :)

do you have an spl meter? have you calibrated?

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
Nope, I don't have an spl meter. That's my next target. I do have Yamaha's YPAO. Before I started the calibration, I placed my main volume to 0db(as suggested by the manual).

Pops only when it encounters bass at -14db, -9db and so on and higher. I have tried setting my main volume before at +10db, and playing a song of mariah carey(since she doesn't have my bass and instruments were a little classical), it was still crystal clear.

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, this is what I saw when I turned the main volume knob clockwise and counter clockwise. This is the last value.

lowest: -80db
highest: +16.5db

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
OK, thanks much more realistic than -80 to +80 :)

I would trust the YPAO [whats that stand for anyway]
with the full range speakers but the sub might take some fidling.

i wouldnt be surprised your atoms pop, do they still pop at "SMALL"?

PS congrats on the sub :)

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Ron, your atoms popping is not a good thing, I just wanted to point out that you should most definitely set them to SMALL, instead of LARGE, and the sVS will handle all that bass, which can often be a lot. Right now it sounds like its just getting the LFE. You don't want to ruin your atoms, which you are in serious danger of doing, it sounds like. Things will sound better all together if the bass is getting routed to the sub too, releives strain from your mains, and lets the SVS do the heavy lifting.

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator

nope, it doesn't pop up anymore. It only popped up when it was set as LARGE before.

Hi ChrisWiggles, nope it doesn't pop up anymore. I have played a movie at +3db this morning and honestly, the ATOMS and SVS sub were totally AWESOME!!!! :)

I'm very satisfied with how SVS performs, shakes my chest and the legs. I can feel it. I like the atoms, I can hear high pitch sounds just like when Frodo pulls his dagger or sword. Very clear high pitch sound.

Alex_P

Stunt Coordinator
Ronneil,

Re-check your house structure, cuz' I thought it'd shifted to the left 10 inches:D

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
That's where I am scared now, higher house maintenance with inclusion of an SVS appliance. I should talk to my insurance tomorrow. :) hehehe!!!

Hey SVS owners guys, kudos for you!!! Awesome invention...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks