What's new

SVS 20-39 PC vs Pardigm Servo-15 (1 Viewer)

ClaudeL

Stunt Coordinator
I own presently a Paradigm PS-1000 subwoofer. This sub really hit hard. But i plan to replace this one with the SVS 20-39 PC OR the Servo-15. I'm looking for a sub which is better in the lower bass and I want to be kicked out of my chair and pass thru the window because the bass is so strong. Which one can be better for me?

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Claude,
Even using your old sub too (not always recommended, given tremendous variances in output, extension and linearity), depending on your room, you might need more than one of either of these subs to get the effect you want.
We understand you desire for "reference level" bass or even beyond that spec (what do you think we like? ;^). Still, it's much harder to achieve than most would have you believe, esp. in large rooms. Give us some info about your setup/room etc, and we can give you a better idea. A rough budget is key too. I think the Servos are more expensive than the 20-39s (street prices being what they are, we don't claim to be experts there) so cost, I assume will be a factor?
Best yet, Fax SVS a sketch of your HT with dimensions, openings to other rooms etc. Don't forget to include your name. Fax: 330-793-8183
Getting the bass you want is certainly achievable, but the trick is to do it within the budget and floor space you have to work with.
Ron
[Edited last by SVS-Ron on November 03, 2001 at 10:34 AM]

ClaudeL

Stunt Coordinator
Doh! Of course this is true that a sub can't push the same bass in a very small room than a bigger one! I usually listen to music in my bedroom which is 4 meters per 4 meters (approximately 13.5/13.5 foots). You will say to me... this is a small room! Hell, i know. Moreover, my bedroom is just under my roof. So my ceiling is shaped like a trapezoid. About my Paradigm Ps-1000 sub now, i find that it sounds good and also, it hits hard and u feel a lot the bass on your body. I know that many will tell me that the bass is not very detailed. I agree. This is not the best sub. But once the ps-1000 is very well placed, the sound is stellar for the price. Now that you have more details about my room, you certainly know which sub could be better for me? SVS or Servo?
[Edited last by ClaudeL on November 03, 2001 at 11:21 AM]
[Edited last by ClaudeL on November 03, 2001 at 11:43 AM]

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
"I'm looking for a sub which is better in the lower bass and I want to be kicked out of my chair and pass thru the window because the bass is so strong."
Budget? "650$ CAN so that means approximately $400 US."
Claude, what you have here is Champagne tastes on a beer budget. Neither sub can be had under that budget I don't think. You might have noticed a 20-39PC is $749 before shipping ( http://www.svsubwoofers.com/svpoweredsubs.htm ) . Not sure what a Servo 15 is in your area, but if you can find one for $400 US, then I don't think you have much to think about.
You have two other options: first is to get one of our great 25-31CS subs at only $369 (which would be a great upgrade, esp if you calibrate it in tandem with your current sub) and find an old amp or receiver to power it up (Tom's had great results using lowly $80 KLH receivers for power). This presumes you have a Dolby Digital receiver to handle the bass management end of things since the CS line has no built in crossover. If so, just about any amp will do well with the CS sub. I think in that small room you WOULD be blown away by what that sub can do.
If you are serious about the effect you want to achieve, and that's a hard budget you might consider making one or two DIY subs (do a search on the Advanced Forum here at HTF for info and links to plans).
Good luck,
Ron
[Edited last by SVS-Ron on November 03, 2001 at 12:13 PM]

ClaudeL

Stunt Coordinator
OK i think that u are all confused with the price. LOL! 400$ US is the price of my PS-1000 subwoofer. But i just want to choose the servo-15 or your SVS 20-39PC. These subs aren't in the same price range?

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Yes, we we're "confused".
You have the price for the SVS. You'll have to shop around for the best servo price. The costs in Canada for Candian speakers can be tough to beat for instance.
I don't think you would be dissapointed with either sub.
This chart doesn't include the Servo but it does compare the 20-39CS line to some of the competition (the PC would be just a tick behind the CS sub here). Keep in mind that more than 2-3dBs difference in sheer output can be pretty significant when it comes to that intangible "blown away" factor. Tom might be able to pull up some comparible Servo performance data, not sure if it exists though.
Comparison chart:
http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subcomparo.htm
Happy shopping.

ClaudeL

Stunt Coordinator
"Tom might be able to pull up some comparible Servo performance data"
The word pull make me think like the word "POLL" or survey. Yeah! To clear up the little debate, why not to post a survey... which sub do you prefer? Servo-15 or SVS 20-39PC? eheh :)

ClaudeL

Stunt Coordinator
I don't talk about a sub in the "under 400$ price range". I talk about a comparison between the servo-15 and the SVS 20-39PC. I just want to see if someone has ever heard these two subs and tell me which one is better for the bang of the buck.

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Claude,
You might want to also try the SEARCH feature at this forum...this topic has been discussed many times.
Dave

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I talk about a comparison between the servo-15 and the SVS 20-39PC. I just want to see if someone has ever heard these two subs and tell me which one is better for the bang of the buck.
Based on the objective data, there's little question that the SVS is the better "bang for the buck". This is brought up often, though, so a search might be beneficial.

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Claude, I own both the Servo and the 20-39cs and I would be hard pressed to pick one over the other but if price is an issue then its the SVS all the way a used Servo will be hard to find sub $800.
Good Luck,
Steve
------------------

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
Well I haven't so much as seen an SVS, much less heard it, but I do own a Servo-15, and with my smallish room(but with quite a bit of volume as its linked to the room downstairs), the Servo-15 really really hits really hard, with both music and movies. I don't think I could get any better bass for the money, but its quite a bit more money than you'd be willing to pay, I'd imagine.

ClaudeL

Stunt Coordinator
Steve, tell me what caracteristics you prefer with the servo-15 and your SVS. Tell me more MORE about these subs! Sorry for my english
frown.gif
I know that i write it very bad somtimes!

ClaudeL

Stunt Coordinator
Sihan, what is your room dimension?
[Edited last by ClaudeL on November 03, 2001 at 11:08 PM]

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
I would never give up on my Servo-15's,,they will always be permenant in my set-up.
However I would also recommend the SVS..
Just buy both of them and you will have to worry no longer.
wink.gif

------------------
Trevor..
shellshock.gif

Link Removed Sonically Enhanced
*Outdated pictures due to recent upgrades!

ClaudeL

Stunt Coordinator
It's so hard to tell me which one is better? So can I consider that both of these subs are equal in performance? I can listen to the servo-15 here. But unfortunately, i can't do the same thing with the SVS 20-39PC. I would like so much to give it a try. No store here in Quebec has SVS subwoofers. I dont know if im right, maybe one store can own SVS but i'm gonna pass a hard time to find it heh! So it's why i ask you as many details as you can find for each subs to make my decision clearer. Thanks again for your replies :)
[Edited last by ClaudeL on November 04, 2001 at 01:01 PM]

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Claude,
The two subs will perform about the same (Tom Nousaine measured the Servo at 107.3dB of clean output from 25-63dB. A 20-39PC would be about the same (the 20-39CS tested at 109.5, but that was with a bit more power than the PC has). I think they'd be VERY close performers, but in the US the Servo (I think) would be much more expensive, about twice maybe? You could have a twin SVS subs, plus a Samson amp for about the same price if I'm right. So if you spent the same amount of money, you would have roughly TWICE the bass with SVS. Canada prices might be different, lower I would expect.
You will NOT find SVS in a store near you. If we sold them that way they'd cost about the same as Servo! Selling direct, we think, gets you more sub for less money.
The reason you might not have gotten more responses is because this topic has been discussed before. You can search for some of these old discussions with the forum search function here: Link Removed
Again, if you can find a Servo 15 for a price close to or less than a SVS 20-39PC I wouldn't hesitate to get it. Go listen to one, if you like it and the price is reasonable, then by all means don't hesitate. A great sub will have a big improvement on your HT. If your pricing for the Servo is significantly MORE than our sub, then you might want to consider the SVS. They will be very close in performance. Speakers, subwoofers included are very personal choices. If you didn't already go to our reviews page here: http://www.svsubwoofers.com/reviews.htm I can't recall if anyone directly compared a Servo there (maybe in the Audio Reviews section) but I think you'll get a feel for what other folks looking for a subwoofer had to say.
Ron
[Edited last by SVS-Ron on November 04, 2001 at 01:02 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks