What's new

SVS 20-39 PC or CS/Samson? (1 Viewer)

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
The cost difference is not enough to swing me one way or the other. Those of you who battled this decision... how did you decide which way to go?
I am working towards a 5.1 HT setup. Speakers still undecided, but likely suspects are Paradigm Studio 60 or 100s with Studio CC and 20s as rears... or some Tyler Acoustics Addisson A28s or 210s with ScanSpeak 9500 tweets and custom CC and rears to match.
If you noticed my post about the Onk 989 vs 797 and 898, then you know I haven't decided on a receiver... or pre/pro setup either.
I noticed somewhere a recommendation for a Parasound amp with the 696 as a pre/pro... and, *bing*, another possible scenario came to life.
--mulling my options...
------------------
--RR

Ron Stimpson

Stunt Coordinator
Rick,
I'm sure you'll get lots of input here. Just in case you missed it, we do discuss this issue a bit on our site's FAQs page:
Link Removed
Ron

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
I have decided on a PC rather than the CS. The CS/Samson is good if you might need 2 somewhere down the road. I like the plug and play aspect of the PC. It will be my first sub and the easier the better as far as I'm concerned. The PC is also flexible enough to help out with my Marantz's 100hz crossover.
YMMV.

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
I thought I'd read that faq before, Ron. But if so, I'd forgotten most of it. Thanks for the reminder.
And simpler is nice too, Andrew.
wink.gif

I have 5 shelves for components; 4 are adjustable. And one skinny one (3 5/8h x 17 3/8 deep x 24w) over the TV. The sat receiver would fit there.. and the Samson would just barely squeeze in with 1/8" clearance, top to bottom.
Does the Samson need more breathing room for ventilation?
I could likely put the DVD on top of the receiver... and stack the VCR's (2). But if I go with separates and add a CD player, the real estate saved by the PC would be a bonus.
OOC, is there a preferred stack order? for heat? other reason? If heat, I'd guess the amp/receiver on bottom?
Ideally, I'd like to keep the more "sensitive" equipment higher in the stack... away from little fingers, ya know.
Equipment to stack:
Receiver or amp & pre/pro
DVD player
SVHS vcr
VHS vcr
sat reeceiver
VHS rewinder.
------------------
--RR

Ron Stimpson

Stunt Coordinator
Rick,
The Samsons draw cool air from the front and vent to the rear. They can get racked or stacked. Their wisper quiet fans make placement anywhere a no-brainer.
As Andrew noted, if you have ANY idea that dual subs might be in your future then the CS is the most cost effective route. We sell dual PCs to folks too though. In some cases the idea of two subs that always have a perfectly integrated amp is strong.
The CS with Samson amp will have a very slight edge in the SPL arena but hardly enough to notice. Really either path can work great. We know some folks like chocolate and some like vanilla, so we provide both kinds of subs too.
Ron

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Does the issue of noise/interference play any part into this decision, given that speaker level outs would be less susceptible than an interconnect, especially for a long run? Or would a quality shielded interconnect (without breaking the bank) make this a non-issue ?
Doug
------------------
"Today is a good day to die." ...Old Lodge Skins

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks