SVS 20-39 PC+ Crossover &Denon 3802

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brandon H, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Brandon H

Brandon H Auditioning

I really love this sub. After experimenting with the reciever crossover settings (80, 100, 120), I like the sound that I get with it set at 120. I have read that 80 is more standard, what are the disadvantages to setting the sub frequency this high?

2. Cooper_B

Cooper_B Agent

Your sub should be more "localizable" with a 120Hz crossover; this means it is easier for you to hear where the subwoofer is placed in the room. This is bad because it can ruin the illusion that the sound/bass is coming from your front speakers. On the other hand, with your sub going up to 120Hz, you will likely get better upper bass reproduction than your main speakers can manage. So it's an impact versus imaging-accuracy tradeoff.

The imaging from music or movies is supposed to be sound like it's coming out of your front 3 speakers, or somewhere beyond them I suppose. The idea of a subwoofer is to reproduce only sound frequencies that are difficult or impossible to localize (pinpoint). Then you get the cost benefit of needing only 1 big woofer (instead of 1 in each front speaker) designed solely for bass, and the sonic benefits of being free to place the sub in the corner of a room.

So your sub will be more invisible when crossed over at 80Hz, though it will make less boom. Do whatever you enjoy most, although you may grow to like a lower crossover with time.

3. Henry_W

Henry_W Stunt Coordinator

Ditto above post EXCEPT - if your main speakers and surrounds cannot adequately handle bass below 120 hz you may well have to use the sub to get a solid fill. Some times localized low freqs is better than no lows at all.

4. Jeffrey_B

Jeffrey_B Agent

I too have the 20-39 PC Plus sub. My Sony ES30 reciever does not have an adjustable cross over and the fixed setting is rather high (I believe it is around 100 Hz). To add to that, the transition from mains to sub starts REALLY high; above 200 Hz and was quite audible (and distracting) when I origianlyl placed the sub in the right REAR corner - next to the listening position (my only other true corner is the right front which I can't utilize at this time). So, I've placed the sub up front, to the left of my RPTV. The upper bass is no longer localizable and thankfully, not having the sub in a corner has not affected the intensity of the bass (via my ears and my SPL meter). This sub has power to spare! JEFF

5. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

I use 100 Hz, because certain very deep male voices can be affected at a 120 Hz crossover - they seemed to either thin out a bit or they had a disembodied quality due to the sub localizing at a diferent location than the center channel. Several people noticed this in back to back demos at 120 and at 100 it was no longer distinguishable.

Ed Mullen