SVS 20-39 or 25-30??? which one for me???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by rodneyH, Sep 20, 2001.

1. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

I am 90% music/10% movies. I currently own a M&K sub (claims it is flat to 20Hz, but after researching this, it sounds like, in reality, this claim isn't even close). WHich of the SVS subs would be best for me (not the ultra, too much $$). The room I have is 12'X16' (fairly small) and I used CDM7NT mains (full range, down to about 45 Hz). I am just wondering if the 20 is more for HT and the 25 for music, I have always thought that you want to get down to 20Hz (at minimum), but after learning that hardly any music goes that low (I am not a pipe organ listener), perhaps the 25 is better, or would i always be kicking myself for not buying a sub that goes down to 20Hz (btw, does the 25 go to 20Hz, but just roll off a few dBs??).

2. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

I believe the 25 starts to roll off pretty fast, but you'll still likely get some decent volume down to 22-23 hz. The 20 will go lower, but the movie oomph in the 30-50 range will probably be less than the 25 is capable of. Like you said, the 20 gets you more extension for organs and really low sound effects. Personally, I'd go for the 20 if size is not an issue.
    Randy
    [Edited last by Randy G on September 20, 2001 at 11:49 PM]

3. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

Size isn't a big issue, since my wife has already approved of either (I told her in exchange that I will be getting ride of my other 2 huge subs), I think she thought that it was much more than "fair", plus, it is, in kind of a weird way more attractive than most black box subs.

4. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

I would agree, but my priorities are small size. That's why I'm stuck with 2 Velodyne HGS-10s. If SVS made a minitube sub, I'd get it in a heartbeat.
    I think you'll be plenty happy with the 20-39.

5. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

"(I told her in exchange that I will be getting ride of my other 2 huge subs)"
    That's exactly what I told my wife before my 20-39 came through the door....problem is, we haven't gotten rid of the others yet [​IMG]
    I love my wife dearly, as she has become as much a bass hound as myself! We're going to order an SS to mate with the 20-39 and my Klipschs sometime down the road when they become available. There is never too much clean bass IMO.
    I have a much smaller room than you....approximately 1100 cubic feet. But I'd bet my Klipsch KSW-15 is providing that strong 28+hz. that your M&Ks are. If you kept at least one of those M&Ks, you could fill that very small void in the 30-60hz range that you lose going with the 20-39vs. the 25-31...yet still get the really LOW stuff (18hz-22hz).
    You should give a shout to Tom or Ron. They'll be able to give you the best suggetions.
    Jeremy

6. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

I imagine Tom or Ron will respond (I don't think they are as crazy as I, seeking audio questions past midnight), I actually sold my other subs to buy this one, so the idea to keep all my subs, is out. I also (it would seem) am not quite as fanatical about bass as some (actually when I was younger I had cars with 2-12" drivers in them, but I later learned that that is not was TRUE audio is all about), I really like good clean sound, but by no means do I want EXAGERATED bass out of my system. I don't spend all this $$ on audio stuff to get inaccurate (exagerrated) levels of bass. Like i said before, I am Music>HT, I am not really about impressing the nieghbors, just myself. I also don't really care about "refernce" levels of bass for movies, I NEVER EVER listen to movies at 105 dBs (or whatever "referernce" is), actually the more I listen to DVD-A and SACD, the more I realize that I don't need the volume up nearly as high, to hear all the information. I just want smooth and accurate bass.

7. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

Sounds like you've got your priorities straight.

8. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

Rodney-
    Sounds like you're a candidate for the 16-46. The 20-39 is a combo between extension/output and the 25-35 is all about max volume.
    ------------------
    My Home Theater Page

9. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Rodney, the first thing I'd consider is if you really NEED another sub?
    For primarily music listening,(no pipe organs/telerc)...you'll need

10. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

I have their single sub units (not the double). Can you tell me if hte 25-30 goes to 20Hz (and the drop off at that frequency when compared to the 20-39??), perhaps one of your custom tuned 25-30 would be an option, could you provide more info on that as well??

11. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

I am getting MIXED messages here. I first get told to keep my old sub(s) b/c M&K makes good stuff (then in other threads about m&k I have heard that the SVS out performs them, etc, etc, etc...), then I get told to look at the ultra line or 2 of the regular subs (I must admit that one of the main reasons I was looking into a svs in the first place was because it is supposed to be an amazing sub, especially for the PRICE, and after reading how many people are truly satisfied with the sub, I thought that I ought to try it (since i am selling a bunch of my old audio gear tomarrow). On top of that, I clearly stated in another post that I didn't really care about reference level bass, etc..., but I wanted something better than the M&K (I know you guys are trying to be cool/politically correct when talking about the M&K, but I have read enough posts on the subject to read between the lines, of how you feel your sub compares). I feel like I am walking up to a car salesman and asking for a little advice to take my money on a new BMW 3 series and he is either telling me that my Honda Accord "is ggod enough, when compared to a 3 series (which it might be), or that I might need a 7-series (when I flat out tell the guy that I hate BIG cars. I know that the guys at SVS don't want to be rood about bashing other sub companies (I appreciate that), but when I am told that I don't "need" something, it sounds too much like an echo of my wife, frankly I don't "need" anything but bread and water.
    So I guess I have to decide on my own. here are my thoughts.
    1. My old sub(s) are sold (tomarrow)
    2. I have read enough times that the SVS out performs m&k (even the most expensive ones, down below 20 Hz)
    3. I don't want 2 subs (thats what I just came from, and frankly it bugs me more than my wife-it takes up TOO MUCH ROOM for such a small room)
    4. I don't want to spend the extra $$ on a Ultra (I have already stated that I am not into EXAGERATED bass or listening to bass at "refernece levels"
    so, were does this leave me, I am no further than when I startedt his thread (actually more confused considering that I considered myself a good candidate for a single SVS 20 or 25, and now I am starting to think that I am NOT). I am starting to get the impression that the only good thing a single SVS is good for is a bathroom sized room for someone who doesb't want ANY bass- (since my room is very small and have been encouraged to get 2 svs or 1 ultra, AND I admit that I don't want TOO much bass). MAybe I need to mention that I have a great corner to locate the sub in (since that will increase its output and that when I listen to my 2 other subs (currently), I have the volume ONLY turned about 1/4 of the way up (very low), does that help with my profile and needs??

12. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

Like I said before, you will most likely be veeeeery pleased with EITHER a single 20-39 or 25-31. Whether you want it powered or not is a choice YOU will have to make. I think you're making the decision a much bigger deal than it should be. As far as the roll-off of the 25-31, I'd be a little curious myself.

13. NormanS

NormanS Auditioning

I come from a similar listening background as Rodney...I have Mirage bipolar mains and decided I'd like to go lower for movies and music. I am not a bass-hound. It certainly depends on the type of music you listen too.
    All this to say that I received my 20-39 on Wednesday, hooked it up to an Adcom 100W amp and have been smiling ever since. I find it is not overdone it terms of size and it truly reaches down to the 20Hz range while remaining smooth and controlled. If you have a spare amp lying about, I would certainly recommend the 2039-CS.
    [Edited last by NormanS on September 21, 2001 at 12:15 PM]

14. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

>>>>I have their single sub units (not the double). Can you tell me if hte 25-30 goes to 20Hz (and the drop off at that frequency when compared to the 20-39??), perhaps one of your custom tuned 25-30 would be an option, could you provide more info on that as well??>> then I get told to look at the ultra line or 2 of the regular subs (I must admit that one of the main reasons I was looking into a svs in the first place was because it is supposed to be an amazing sub, especially for the PRICE, and after reading how many people are truly satisfied with the sub, I thought that I ought to try it (since i am selling a bunch of my old audio gear tomarrow). On top of that, I clearly stated in another post that I didn't really care about reference level bass, etc..., but I wanted something better than the M&K (I know you guys are trying to be cool/politically correct when talking about the M&K, but I have read enough posts on the subject to read between the lines, of how you feel your sub compares).I feel like I am walking up to a car salesman and asking for a little advice to take my money on a new BMW 3 series and he is either telling me that my Honda Accord "is ggod enough, when compared to a 3 series (which it might be), or that I might need a 7-series (when I flat out tell the guy that I hate BIG cars.>> I know that the guys at SVS don't want to be rood about bashing other sub companies (I appreciate that), but when I am told that I don't "need" something, it sounds too much like an echo of my wife, frankly I don't "need" anything but bread and water.
    So I guess I have to decide on my own.> here are my thoughts.
    1. My old sub(s) are sold (tomarrow)
    2. I have read enough times that the SVS out performs m&k (even the most expensive ones, down below 20 Hz)

15. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

thanks for your reply, I have always been sceptical about buying "audio" equipt on the internet (without hearing it), thus, the reason for my many many questions. Anyone one else with advice/experience??

16. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

Tom,
    Truly an awesome set of replies! Probably explains why you're so successful, and will probably continue to be.
    Rodney,
    Life is not perfect, and compromise is usually not what we prefer, but it seems like you've got a decision to make. If it inspires any more confidence, I'd suggest you check the reviews at audioreview.com, or call SVS and have a chat. You don't find customer service much better than what they provide. Personally, if they made a 25-31PC-Ultra, I'd buy it right now. That goes for the minitube sub as well.

17. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

Ooops, I guess ya can't call SVS, but you CAN email them thru their website.

18. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

Rodney,
    I have a room similiar in size and I am running a single 20-39CS and I am veeeeerrrrryyyyy happy. [​IMG]
    The bass for music and movies is fantastic, I couldn't be any happier, except if I had an Ultra. [​IMG]
    -Dean-
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My HT Equipment
    "I've seen you and you are not cool."

19. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I really don't get those who say you don't need LOW extention for music. THAT is the primary reason I got my 20-39PC. That also makes me wonder what kind of music you guys listen to ???!! I mostly listen to Hip hop, Rock, pop (whatever that means) and movie soundtracks. All these musics often have deep bass that NEEDS to be heard. Heck, it was put there for a reason. And once you've heard it, you can't go back.
    --
    Holadem - Listen to "The Power of GoodBye" by Madonna and tell me you don't need deep bass [​IMG]

20. Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt Supporting Actor

Holadem,
    [​IMG] Madonna does use some bass now, doesn't she?
    I love what my 16-46CS w/Samson 700 does on those kinds of tracks...
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Mike