SVS 20-39 CS+ Notes

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Troy_K, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Troy_K

Troy_K Stunt Coordinator

My SVS arrived yesterday, and I had some time to tinker. Here are some notes and impressions - questions, too.
    SVS arrived well packaged. I mean Wow, nice packaging and care here. I put it behind my towers (which are 39 inches high), and the SVS was a few inches taller! I guess the 39 inch spec from SVS doesn't include the bottom plate or something. I was worried my wife would freak, b/c I assured her that it would hide behind my towers. She didn't. [​IMG]
    I set up the SVS with my Kenwood Amplifier rated at 175 WPC at 8 ohms. I hooked via SVS instructions and began calibrating. Believe it or not, but I could only turn up my amp to about 60 percent on the dial, or my calibration would bottom out at -12 on the sub output of my Denon. This surprised me. So finally, all is set at 75db, but I set the sub to a little over 80 db, which is -6 on the sub channel volume with the Kenwood turned about 60% up.
    -question- Does this mean I don't need any more power? I find it hard to believe that my Kenwood had to be turned DOWN to get calibration.
    I quickly noticed a large rattle in my wall, so I moved the SVS an inch away from the wall, and it was gone. I have the SVS in the corner.
    I put in my test CD, and took some measurements. I was surprised to get such a flat response without any tweaking. I was only +/- 5 db between 20-100 hz. Not bad. I did notice a DIP at around 40 hz, which is surprising, b/c that's where my old powered sub had a massive PEAK.
    -question- I took these measurement in DPL mode with my CD in the DVD player using digital coax out. In stereo mode (still coax) I got very different subwoofer response. Why is that? I figured I would take measurements in DPL since that is the closest to DD and DTS which I am concerned with. Does anybody know of any bass test DVDs that are encoded in DD or DTS rather than Stereo?
    My wife and baby were at home, so I couldn't really test it yet..I did throw in Toy Story 2, U751, Saving Private Ryan, and Haunting as well as some music DVDs. The Haunting scared the hell out of me. That scene in the bedroom has some serious bass that always bottomed out my old sub. The SVS simply wanted more. Toy Story 2 was no problem either.
    Granted, these tests were at around 10-15 below reference. I did feel some tremendous force that I never experienced before. Very clean and Low bass. Did I say clean? I can't wait to listen at reference levels when the wife and kid are gone. I will give you more results at that time. So far, I 'm pleased with the extension of the SVS. It really moves me.
    My equipment:
    Denon AVR-681
    Klipsch KG 5.5 mains
    Klipsch KLF C7 center
    Klipsch KG 1 rears
    SVS 20-39 CS+ powered with Kenwood integrated amp
    Troy

2. Jeff Massey

Jeff Massey Agent

Hello Troy,
    Please keep me posted on how this setup works out. I was also planning on using my old Kenwood INt Amp. What model are you using. I am just about ready to pull the trigger on the purchase, wife still alittle uneasy about the height of the sub. I am wearing her done [​IMG]
    Thanks
    and keep me posted
    Jeff

3. Jeff Massey

Jeff Massey Agent

Hello Troy,
    Well I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I will tell the wife when I get home (no need to bother her at work[​IMG] )
    What else did you need to purchase for your setup. What type of cables did you get. I have never owned a sub and am not sure what all I will need.
    Thanks
    Jeff

4. Troy_K

Troy_K Stunt Coordinator

Jeff,

I hope your wife doesn't kill you. My wife is on the verge of murder herself.

Cables? That's easy. Assuming you have a receiver with sub out, simply connect any cable you have around with RCA connectors on each end (Radioshack calls this phono cable). All you need is a single cable, and plug one end into your receiver's sub out, and the other end to an available input on your Kenwood (I used Video 1). Note if it's in the right or left channel. Use Red for simplicity sake. Then hook up some speaker wire from the right speaker output on your Kenwood to your SVS. That's all you need.

Refer to the SVS website for details on how to hook up. See the FAQ sections and the online manual for the CS series subs.

Good luck,

Troy

5. Troy_K

Troy_K Stunt Coordinator

Jeff,

The amp is a Kenwood KA-127. I had it bench tested at 175WPC at 8 ohms. The manual says it only has 125wpc at 8 ohms. I'm still puzzled at why I can only turn it 60-70% up to get calibration with my Denon. Seems I have the oppposite problem that Denon/Samson owners have.

Still nobody has tried to answer my two questions I raised in the original post.

Did some reference level testing Thursday. I was able to obtain 100db easily at 20 hz in my listening position. With the volume at the same level, the 15 hz test tones made my sub click, which I think was bottoming out the driver. I turned it down quickly!

I put in Toy Story 2, and oh my...I'm not sure if my sub is working like it should, but if my pant legs are supposed to shake about, and the hair on my head literally vibrates and stands up, then mission accomplished. Amazing. When Zurg's secret hideout opens from the ground, that is so awesome. I thought my sheetrock was going to come undone.

Oh yea, and the door knocking on Monsters Inc teaser is way cool. What's the frequency of that?

You can really feel the energy with the CS+. I can only imagine what it would do with the Samson.

Troy