SVS 16-46PC - What's that thumping noise?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jan H, Jan 1, 2003.

1. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

I emailed tech support at SVS a few days ago, but have yet to hear from them, so I thought I'd shoot this question/problem to any experts out there. While watching Attack of the Clones at fairly low levels the sub stopped playing the LFE, and starting thumping. It was fairly rhythmic (like a heartbeat), and continued to thump even when I stopped the DVD. The noise it makes sounds like a bass drum. Obviously, something is very wrong, but I'd like to know if it's the driver or the amp that is at fault, or what else it might be. I've got the upgraded driver, and it has performed great until a couple of days ago. Any help would be appreciated. Happy New Year!

2. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Jan,
    Sometimes our mail gets glitched up, sometimes we just miss a note (the latter being very rare, but it DOES happen). I can promise if you send a note to the below two boxes we'll respond today (even though we'd rather be sleeping off this headache that appeared from no where ;^).
    We'll need to know a bit about the size of your room, and what levels you calibrated to with a SPL meter (if you did).
    It could be that one of the current or thermal limiters is kicking in at high levels? In any case if something is actually broken we'll get it right as quick as can be done!
    Ron
    rons@svsubwoofers.com
    tomv@svsubwoofers.com

3. Bill W.

Bill W. Stunt Coordinator

Ouch, somethings wrong obviously is right.

If you emailed tech support more than 24 hours ago and didn't get an answer, I would email again, because that email either didn't get there or got lost in the Holiday rush.

I've emailed back and forth with tech support and never waited more than a few hours for a reply, so something is up. Sorry I'm no help on this problem, but Good Luck, I'm sure SVS will make it right.

Bill

4. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

Thanks for replying Ron. No sweat, I understand how it is this time of year. The room is 20 X 17, and I'm using the SVS with Polk Lsi's (25, C, and FX). The sub was calibrated using Avia and Radio Shack SPL at 0 Db. The Volume knob was about 12 O'clock. Crossover set at about 60. Do you think the problem is amp-related or driver-related? I'm really not a very technically minded person, but I installed the upgraded driver myself, and I can get back into the sub to fix it, as long as I know what I should be looking for. JH

5. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Jan,

6. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

Thanks Michael, I'll try your suggestion out. [​IMG] JH
    Nope, the thump's still there, but it was a smart thought. Thanks anyway. Anyone else ever had a problem like this?

7. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

It could be as simple as a bad patch cord or something a lot more complicated. I would double check all my speaker wires and all interconnects, do it again, then work with SVS, too many possibilities to list. . .You replaced the driver?? check those connections too. . .

8. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Can you get the thumping to come back? If so, when it's thumping, disconnect the signal cable from the sub and see if it affects it at all. if it does, then maybe your receiver is sending out weird stuff?

Unlikely, but a possibility. My guess is that the amp went haywire.

9. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

It thumps even when there's no signal sent to it. I'm pretty sure its an amp issue, but I'm not worried because Ron and company are taking care of the problem.

10. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

Sleep tight tonight. . . SVS is awake. . .