What's new

SVS 16-46PC SW is in the RAF House - A Review (1 Viewer)

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
Are you just showing off again, RAF?
tongue.gif

Gregory

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Actually, someone was trying to find this thread and thought that the link was screwed up. I guess it's fixed by now. One of these days I have to update the site again. Just got my SONY DVP-S9000ES and, upon first glance, the RAF HT has moved another step upward. (But that's another subject for another thread.)
icon14.gif

------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
Bob,
Got a question: have you tried any HT-PC in your system yet?
Some months ago I wound up with a 733 MHz PIII, equipped with a GeForce 256 video card and ASUS/PowerDVD/Toshiba DVD-ROM drive, SB Live! soundcard with optical/coax digital sound outputs HT-PC from AV Science. The PC was set to match the Dukane Pro-Image 9015 D-ILA display's native resolution for artifact-free performance.
Images with this DVD solution are simply stunning and extremely film-like (and FILM is my absolute frame of reference which I use to judge video reproduction of motion pictures, and I am able to project Super-8mm, 35mm, and 70mm film formats here at my humble digs), even with less than the best transfered DVDs. I find images produced by the PC preferable to the ones produced by a Crystal Image video scaler processor/Sony DVP-S7000 DVD player combo, although the latter appear stunningly in their own right.
Since the S7000 DVD player doesn't play DTS (the PC does pass DTS signals), I've been considering an alternative standalone DVD player. The Sony 7700 could be one but now Sony's got the new progressive scan unit, which does DTS as well so have put things in temporary suspension. Since you now have one of the 9000ES machines on hand, I will be looking forward to read what you got to say about this new wonder machine with eager anticipation.
By the way, I've learned that the DVP-9000ES is the first DVD player that I know of that use a 14-bit video processing chip, so there is even more reason to wait awhile longer. But I cannot help wondering if this machine will be able to stand the sonic onslaught that the SVS 46/16s can bring about, though! :) Cheers...
-THTS

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Frank,
I've resisted the temptation to go the HTPC route mainly as a convenience issue at this point. I've been satisfied with the performance of DVD's using a Toshiba 5109 progressive scan player (I still have a non-DTS, non-prog. scan SONY DVP-7000 that I just moved upstairs to make room for the DVP-S9000ES that arrived yesterday. I'll never get rid of the 7000 since it is one of those "rare" region/macrovision free units and a kick-a CD player to boot.)
I'm about to post some initial impressions on the 9000ES on another thread. This was a bad weekend to try to do some serious evaluation, but I hope to do it justice in the weeks to come.
------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks