1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

SVS 16-46PC Problems

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by William Lee, Nov 14, 2001.

1. William Lee

William Lee Agent

Hello! Let me please start out by saying that I am a complete subwoofer/home theater newb, and that I just received a 16-46 PC in the mail that I bought after hearing massive amounts of rave reviews.
    My HT is
    Denon 3802
    Boston VR950/920 front and center
    Optimus rears.
    and now a new SVS 16-46PC.
    I just calibrated my system with an SPL meter to get each speaker at around 85 dbs on my Avia test disc, but I have ran into some troubles.
    Apparently, my subwoofer doesnt receive an avia sub signal as through any of the specified subwoofer tests, it doesnt make a sound.
    My reference level is at -14 on the dial, and following the instructions on the SVS manual i upped my subwoofer individual channel out to about +3db, as opposed to my speakers ranging from -4 to -1.
    However, when I play either the U571 depth charge scene, my sub "clacks" and it sounds like its bottoming out. On fight club ch 9, where the plane rips apart, it clacks quite often.
    Is this supposed to be happening? My old previous radioshack optimus subwoofer never seemed to "clack" in the way the 16-46 does, however, when the SVS does perform the sound is phenomenal.
    Please help!
    Thank you for your time,
    William

2. SteveBjr

SteveBjr Stunt Coordinator

I'm not familiar with the Avia disc but i do know if your sub is bottoming you should immediately back it off. I've heard it is better to use the VE disc for calibrating sounds, which is what i used to calibrate mine. I have my 20-39 calibrated to 81db and all other speakers at 75db with VE.
    Tom or Ron will probably post here later but if you are bottoming out your sub back off the LFE, Woofer, or amp setting until they give you further detail on what to do.
    ------------------
    Steve,
    DVD Collection

3. William Lee

William Lee Agent

also, where exactly are you supposed to hold the SPL from the speaker? aka any distance in feet? it seems that the sound level varies vastly as i move closer or away from the speakers (duh?)
    Thank you very much!

4. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Hold it exactly where your head will be during normal listening pointed slightly towards the celing.

5. William Lee

William Lee Agent

ahhhh jeff! damn! i didnt know that!

6. William Lee

William Lee Agent

....wouldn't that seem a *little* bit loud?

7. DaveLenhert

DaveLenhert Stunt Coordinator

Just as a first blush Setup...you might try the internal tones of the Denon...I bet you will find that the sub is way out of calibration. Once you do this...try those tracks on the DVD again! That should fix it...then at a later time you can try the Avia again.
    -dbl

8. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

William Lee,
    I believe we recently corresponed with you several times in private emails(both Ron and I) in the past 48 hours about this problem? In the emails I asked that you review the AVIA setup instructions that are on the SVS site.I also asked a few questions about your calibration methods...and that you might review them. I wish you had taken the time to do this...as you might have already damaged the subwoofer do to various setup errors.
    1) PLEASE, read thru the AVIA setup instructions on the SVS website, if you don't understand any specific portion of the text...email Ron or myself.
    AVIA ASSUMES you'll be setting all speakers to small. If you're not getting a test tone through the subwoofer during calibration...you probably have all the speakers set to large. So that's a big problem to start. So you could have the subwoofer 5,10,or even 20dB over normal calibration levels...and then you pop in a couple of the most bass intense DVDs ever made...and then...well, we end up with numerous setup emails and a thread like this on HTF [​IMG].
    I understand AVIA can be a little confusing for someone new to the hobby, but PLEASE review our website for DETAILED instructions on both AVIA and proper use of the SPL meter during calibration.
    TV

9. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

William,
    Your old sub didn't even try to reproduce those killer tracks. Among the hardest in the HT world by the way. It had very restrictive "limiters" that made it more or less immune to over calibration (it just sounds bad at high levels though right? ;^)
    As noted already, if your sub "clacks" it's simply set too high. You only THINK you are set +3dB but without a test tone coming out of your sub there is no way of knowing. The settings on your receiver (by themselves) mean nothing. ALL must be calibrated with the meter. Your receiver has no idea what your subwoofer's volume is set at for instance.
    Do this:
    1. Set the sub in the most enclosed corner of your room. Explore with some other placement though. Your room interactions are the most important factor in how any given sub sounds. A few feet difference can make a massive difference.
    2. Make sure the sub is turned up, and the receiver's subwoofer level control is turned down to about 1/4th up (so if the range on the receiver sub level goes from -12dB to +12dB then set the sub at -6dB). Turn the sub volume up so that you are at 85dB for now, esp. if you are going to do high level, highly demanding demos. This will limit distortion/clipping on the input to the sub.
    3. Make sure the crossover bypass is ON, and the bass boost is OFF.
    4. Back off the sub's volume if you EVER hear the sub "clack".
    5. Use your receiver's test tones to double check your calibration.
    6. Check to see if any of your speakers are set to "large". You can set them this way (but your results with Avia seem to indicate that perhaps they are ALL at large already) but it greatly depends on your speakers. Avia doesn't have a dedicated LFE test tone. If all your speakers are on large you shouldn't get a woofer tone). As Tom noted, you might be GREATLY off if you are not getting a calibration tone!!
    7. Ask yourself if perhaps you are really a "twin SVS kind of guy". If you want the bass to pin you in your seat, and or you have a large and challenging room, then one 16-46PC might not be enough. Twin subs get a discount and if after ensuring your sub is functioning properly (it seems like it is but we won't rule out shipping damage yet), and placed as well as it can be with proper calibration too...then decide if two SVS's are in your budget and space limitations. 5% off a second SVS is almost like free shipping! (Whooho.)
    8. Assuming ALL is well, but you want more mid range punch you can order a custom tuned port that raises the tuning point of the sub to say 20 or 25Hz. This will limit low bass a bit, but you'll gain substantially more bass in the more common HT ranges (25Hz and up). The 16-46PC is NOT advertised as a monster SPL performer for this very reason. Still it can't be beaten for deep and articulate bass at depths and volumes most subs (including your Rat Shack box of course) don't even touch.
    9. Let your ears adjust. Your SVS is capable of clean, deep and natural bass articulation that might take some time to appreciate, especially if you were used to a boomy one note "subwoofer" that cranked out huge levels of distortion. Folks sometimes expect more of the same, only louder with SVS. Not the case at all, SVS bass is squeeking clean and this really throws some people at first. You may be hearing accurate bass for the first time, and at first it might not SOUND loud, it might even be "dry" to your ears. Give it a few movies and you should start to hear depth, clarity, and accuracy that just wasn't there before.
    10. Get Video Essentials to check your calibration. It DOES have a dedicated LFE test tone, and will be a good check against Avia and your receiver's tones.
    Holler if after some experimentation you aren't happy. 45 days should be enough time though, you are on what? Day 3?
    Ron
    [Edited last by SVS-Ron on November 14, 2001 at 05:47 PM]

10. William Lee

William Lee Agent

aha! it turns out that my sub was set WAY too high and my other speakers way too low.
    After thoroughly reviewing all materials on SVS and on HT, I recalibrated my entire system once more. All my speakers at at 85 hz according to Avia, and my sub is at around 90.
    It bottomed out once during the fight club airplane explosion, so i backed it off one notch.
    then i watched ch 26, the fight scene.
    OH MY GOD
    The bass just REVERBED across my entire room! holy mother of god almighty my cup of water started shaking and i was speechless. It turns out that my entire calibration was WAYYYYYY off as i didnt realize i needed to sit at my normal listening spot to watch a movie. Too exuberated right now to test out U-571 for any clacks, but wow!!!!!!!
    thank you guys so much for putting up with my (slightly) idiotic questions. I went ahead and calibrated the tv along with Avia as well.
    I must say.
    This is home theater bliss.
    I'll keep ya'll updated on further improvements and problems (hope there wont be any!)
    Thanks again!
    Will

11. William Lee

William Lee Agent

oh my GOD. pardon my french, but the plane crash scene in Fight club just ripped me a new asshole.
    At my current 00 perfectly calibrated speaker volume levels, the plane just TORE ACROSS MY ROOM and the screech made me spill my cup of water all over the place. The bass was incredible also.
    Just wondering, will this damage my speakers by playing at reference? Or... even better, will this damage my ears?!?!? [​IMG]
    Also... does anyone recommend just simply backing off from reference and going -14 below reference or something?
    Thanks alot!
    Soon to be not too HT newb,
    Will

12. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Bill,
    That's great news. Only about 99 "problems" out of 100 are adjustment issues. We're just glad we finally discovered what yours was.
    I routinely watch movies from -6dB to 00dB from my calibrated reference settings (which remember, were set by Dolby Labs, and hearing damage was something I'm sure they studied). Fact is, there are only a few moments, in a few scenes here and there that rise to this level. They may MAKE the movie (that scene hung with me a long time, emotionally speaking, now more than ever) but the stress on your ears is pretty fleeting.
    As long as your speakers are bottoming (subs aren't the only thing that can bottom!) and don't sound distorted (which can ADD to the stress on your ears) then I would just run up to ref. level without major fears (10 flick in a row might not be smart).
    After all, despite the myths, a properly calibrated HT is no louder than a properly calibrated REAL theater.
    Ron

13. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

14. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor