What's new

SVS 16-46PC/LFE level/Avia question (1 Viewer)

gomez_a

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

I have calibrated all my spkr channels to 85dB (includes correction factor) off my Onkyo 898 rcvr using the Avia calibration disk and all spkrs set to SMALL. My room is 12x19x8.

Now, . . I believe that Avia (and others in this forum) suggest that the rcvr's LFE channel level be set to 0dB (the onkyo 898 LFE adjustment ranges from -15 to +15 dB) and then use the sub's volume/gain switch to adjust the LFE level to suggested 85dB.

My problem is that the only way I can get 85 dB on my RS spl meter is to set the rcvr's LFE to -12db and the 16-46PC's vol dial to 50% - this is not consistant with Avia's recommendation. On the plus side, it looks like I have plenty of 'headroom' with these conservative settings. If I were to set the LFE to 0 dB, then my vol on the SVS would have to be reduced to, say . . . 25%. Is it that my sub is too powerful for this size room (not complaining at all :), thus my conservative settings?

This doesn't seem right. Does it matter what level I set the rcvr LFE and SVS volume switch so long as I calibrate the sub to the suggested 85 db??

Any input would be appreciated!

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
It's common to see the volume control that low on many sub amps.

My setup yields the trim at -8 out of -10, and the amp's control at 15 - 20%.

Also, be sure that you are tweaking the sub level, not the LFE level.

There's no industry standard for companies to use when designing bass management level options apparently, ans many makers have very different approaches.

- CM

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
Also, don't be fooled into thinking that the sub amp's volume dial is some indication of how hard you're pushing the sub ... or how much headroom you have left. This is really just a gain control for adjusting the input sensitivity. You could have it set to 25% and still clip the amplifier under the right circumstances. And from what you've said, those circumstances aren't all that unreasonable.

But then again the PC subs seem to be fairly idiot proof. I have yet to clip the amp or bottom the driver on my 25-31 and I've driven it to some pretty idiotic levels once or twice.

gomez_a

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Colin, Ryan,

Glad to hear my setup is not unusual . . yes, I'm using the subwoofer 'trim' adjustment on my rcvr (not the LFE), which ranges +/- 15db as well as the vol/gain dial on the 16-46PC to get 85dB from the sub. It just suprises me that I have to dial these settings relativiely low just to get the sub SPL down to 85 dB, therefore, I take it that there's nothing unusual about this, Right?

Also, my Onk 898 rcvr has a feature that allows me to adjust the LFE setting seperately for DTS and Dolby formats. My assumption is that I should leave this adjustment alone at its 0 dB setting, right? If I want to override the formats inherent LFE dB, perhaps I should do this on the 16-46's volume dial and/or the rcvr's subwoofer level setting I metioned above, right?

Thanks!

Gomez

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Once you calibrate, don't touch the sub amp's volume knob. That should be left alone.

Beyond that, tweak whatever you like on the Onk. Remember the setting for 'reference', tweak if you want to, and have fun!

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
My Onkyo 595 does not have an LFE adjustment. It is set to the appropriate level internally. I'm not sure what the correct setting for the 898 is. I suspect it is either 0 or +10 but you should probably check your owners manual or ask other 898 owners here for more info.

Colin is correct that you shouldn't touch the sub amp's volume knob once you've calibrated. If you do then you'll have to recalibrate to get back to reference. Instead use the Onkyo's sub level adjustment to try running the sub hot. Then you can always revert to your calibration level if you choose to.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks