SVS 16-46 CS+ or Stryke AV15 DIY sub?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ben_E, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Ben_E

Ben_E Stunt Coordinator

Hello everyone, I've been researching my future Sub options and want some extra input. It would either be an SVS 16-46 CS+ sub with the sampson 1000 watt amp or a Stryke (www.stryke.com) AV15 DIY sub. I know I'd have to get an equalizer with the DIY sub but it would roughly come out to the same amount as a 16-46 CS+ combo. I'd probably get the 22" cube along with some PRs for the AV15. From stryke's site it seems like it would be able to get lower and louder than the SVS, what do you guys think? Also would the Stryke be as accurate as the SVS? Thanks, any input would be much appreciated.

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

We won't be able to say for sure on the sound quality until someone takes the chance and builds the 22" PR cube allignment with the final version of the AV15. But I think John knows what he is doing, and this thing shouldn't be that far off the original HE15. Considering how happy the 15.2 powercube owners are I highly doubt you'll be disappointed in the AV15's sound quality.

Output wise I don't believe a single CS+ sub will have a hope of keeping up with an AV15. The AV15 will simply have too much of a displacement advantage.

Also I don't think the AV15 has the same inductance hump problem the HE15 does. So an EQ won't be any more necessary for an AV15 based sub than it will be for the SVS CS+. But personally I'd want an EQ for both to tame room modes. An EQ is currently tops on my list for the next toy I want.

3. Ben_E

Ben_E Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for your input Dustin, I've read some of your other posts here and at avsforum about the HE15 and you seem to know your stuff. I was considering the HE15 but I just can't quite convince myself to spend $400 on a driver when I probably wouldn't notice a huge difference between the $165 driver (at least not a $235 level of increase that I would want [​IMG]). Do you think I'll be fine with PDs? And what weight should I choose?

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

By PD do you mean PR (passive radiator)?

With the AV15 or the HE15 unless you want to go to a huge enclosure you pretty much have to use PRs (minimum 6" flared port for either of these drivers). A pair of the dual spider 18" PRs should work just great with the AV15. What tune you should shoot for I'm not sure. Have to ask John that one. Depending on what tune is desired will dictate how much weight needs to be put on the PRs.

5. TedO

TedO Stunt Coordinator

Ben,

Have you thought of using a Blueprint 1503 driver in a sonotube?

I have a SVS 16-46CS Plus, then built a sono with the Blueprint driver. The SVS is a great sub, but it just can't keep up with the Blueprint sono, in SPL. But the Blueprint sono is MUCH bigger and a little overkill in every day use.

One piece of advice, consider a Crown or another amp that can be bridged in 4 ohms. I found the SVS sounded better running it off of my Crown CE2000 rather than the Sampson 1000. The Sampson would clip at high volume causing some distortion, once I switched to the Crown the extra power kept the Crown from clipping which in turn made the sub
    sound better.

TedO

6. Ben_E

Ben_E Stunt Coordinator

Dustin, Yea sorry meant PRs, dunno what I was thinking when I typed PDs heh. Checked with John and he recommended using 1600mg PDs for around an 18hz tuning.

Ted, Haven't looked into the Blueprint 1503 driver in a sonotube but don't want to take the time (as well as buy the tools) to make a sonotube. How much does the Crown CE2000 amp cost? Crown would be nice but don't plan on spending $1000 on an amp just for the subwoofer, I'd rather put that towards a new receiver (JVC RX-9010vbk right now, terrible I know, plan on getting either the Pioneer Elite 45-tx or H&K 8000).

I was planning on getting a DIY enclosure kit but I'm not sure Stryke builds custom kits as John said the AV15 should be in a 25.5" enclosure rather than the 22.5" for better results. Anyone know anywhere willing to build a custom enclosure?

7. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Acoustic Visions or Rutledge Audio.
    Also you can look into the BASH plate amps (Acoustic Visions sells these) or the QSC RMX series amps to power this thing (RMX850 sells for $300 and should be more than enough power).

8. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

Hey Dustin,
    You got a link for that amp? I'm kinda lazy to look for it[​IMG]
    As far as an eq I would get one regardless of what sub you would choose at any price level. I have a blueprint 1503 in a sonosub much like a svs. I am using a 6" flared port. If a tempest can move more air than the svs and BP1503 is roughly 1.5 tempests than the av15 from stryke should beable to do the same. It has a lower fs than the BP and does not have the inductance hump(which is very noticable) It has slightly less xmax. I think the fr of both subs will be the same just the av15 will have more headroom. The BP has a hump at 70hz and a small saddle at fs and tuning(20hz assumed)
    I think the svs subs are a solid product but if your willing to trade money for labour you can find great value in the DIY route. I only have a 400watt amp to my BP1503 and can hit over 105db.

9. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

10. Ben_E

Ben_E Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for your input Dustin, I'll probably go with the BASH 550 watt, one more question, if I got the enclosure kit from acoustic visions, would I want the 95L PR/ Vent or the 142.5L PR/Vent for my system?

11. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I'm not sure. I'd want to go with the larger one and a pair of the 18" PRs. I'd talk to Kyle though. Assuming 1.5" thick construction for that 25.5" cube John mentions that is a 4ft^3 enclosure. And Kyle is only listing 3ft^3 enclosures on his AV series page:
    http://www.acoustic-visions.com/strykeavseries.htm
    I'm not even sure you could fit the 18" PRs on the 3ft^3 enclosure. I think that one is meant more for the AV12 with a pair of 15" PRs. Send Kyle an email and see what he says about enclosure options for the AV15.

12. TedO

TedO Stunt Coordinator

Ben,
    You don't have to put the Blueprint into a sonotube, you can use it instead of the Av15. The 1503 sells for $239 and would stack up well for your needs. see their web site. http://shop.blueprintdrivers.com/pro...sp?productid=8
    The Crown CE2000 sells for $600 new. I bought mine off ebay for $400 and am very happy with it. You could look at the CE1000, sells for about $400 new and when bridged it will output 1100 watts into 4 ohms. Heres the site http://www.crownaudio.com/amp_htm/ce12main.htm
    I have tried the QSC RMV2450 but didn't like the fan noise. Crest amps are getting great reviews on this forum, but they are a little more money. The Samson 1000 had the quietest fans but can't be bridged in 4 ohms. My advice to you is to buy a used amp, because you can get a better amp for the same money as a cheaper new one. I think you would be happier in the long run.
    P.S. if you don't want to build a sub, I have my SVS for sale on this forum.

13. Shawn Solar

Thanks Dustin,

Anybody know when the [email protected] version of the bash amp will be offered? or if it will?

14. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

15. Shawn Solar

Jack's got it!

I thought I remembered Kyle sying that a 4ohm version might come out. At $500 even US is a steal with the filters and such. Won't take up a space on the ole rack either. If that happens I might just build my 1503 in a cabinet instead of the tube.

16. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Guess I should spend more time surfing the forum. The 4 ohm stable 1000 watt Bash amp is not out yet and I'm not sure about its release date either.
    The enclosure specials on the preorder page for the AV12 & AV15 only show the smaller enclosures for the 12" driver since we don't have pricing worked out on the larger enclosures for the 15. For a good guess I'd say about $144 for a kit enclosure and about $166 for the assembled/unfinished enclosure and this enclosure would be about 5-6cu ft.