What's new

SVS 12/2 PLUS Vs. ULTRA (1 Viewer)

DerekCV

Stunt Coordinator
I always hear alot about the 12/2 Plus, but not too much about the Ultra 12/2. Why is that? Is it that the Ultra is out of most people price range, or that additional preformance doesn't not justify the extra $$? Can someone please shed some light on this for me? Thanks

Derek

DavidMich

Stunt Coordinator
More than likely it's because the Plus drivers (the new 12.3 version) were recently improved. They are now nearly as good as the current Ultra drivers. Most people can hardly tell the difference. So for now, the Plus is an incredible value. The Ultra drivers are slated for their own upgrade soon, so when that happens, you'll see posts about people upgrading the drivers in their Plus subwoofers to the new Ultras. Myself, I got the PB12-Plus/2. If one driver is good, two is better!

DerekCV

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't read up on any of the upgrades for the drivers. I looked at the SVS site and the replacment drivers for the Ultra are 4x that of the 12.3 drivers, I would assume that there is somthing that makes them special... (pardon my igorance)

I'm just talking about in general that there seems to be a 10:1 ratio of people talking about the Plus... The bigger the better in my book.

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
The reason you hear more people talking about the Plus subwoofers compared to the Ultra subwoofers is because they cost less, therefore more people can afford them, so more own them. The Ultra's cost more because that Ultra woofer is super heavily built, it's very impressive. But like many things in stereo equipment, you begin to reach a point of diminishing returns at some level, and it costs much more to get to the next level.

The Ultra subwoofers are worth the price if you want that higher level of performance in a similar size subwoofer, but it costs a lot to build a woofer than can outdo the Plus, so you have to pay a premium to get that. :)

scott>c

Second Unit
Also u may need a huge room for the power of an ultra. The plus is an incredible beast and I personally dont need more!!!

Not so on needing a large room for the Ultra. I have it in a 10'x10' room and it blends it perfectly. Anyone with a small room should try it if they are interested in this model.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks