SVM / Edge enhancement at a glance ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Damien Montanile, Dec 26, 2001.

1. Damien Montanile

Damien Montanile Stunt Coordinator

Recently I started Calibrating my 65h80. I have disabled SVM via the powersupply method (as instructed at http://www.montac.com/ht/65h80/svm/index.html?KeohiHDTV) but am still noticing a very faint outline around darker objects on certain movies (Shawshank Redemption Episode 1 TPM etc). Now the set isnt 100% calibrated yet since I just started it this passed weekend but shouldnt have disabling SVM gotten rid of this? I know messing with the Sharpness can also help (right now it is just roughly calibrated with Avia). Ive read the Various articles on SVM and edge enhancement but am still hazey as to how to determine the effects of one from the other...
    Any clarification and expansion is greatly appreciated.
    -Damien

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Damien,
    What you're seeing is called "ghosting" over at the Toshiba forum at Home Theater Spot. So far there is no known cure. If it makes you feel any better, Sonys like my new HW40 have the same problem, and the Hitachi and Pioneer non-elite sets that I've looked at in stores also have it.
    Turning off SVM and playing with sharpness can minimize it, but it won't go away completely. Tosh owners report that all the way down on the sharpness isn't the best setting--experiment with AVIA to find which sharpness setting minimizes it on your set.

3. Damien Montanile

Kick ass,

I thought I was losing my mind, or that SVM wasnt totally disengaged...as long as I know that its not me going nuts, I am pretty critical when it comes to perfecting/getting the best out of things, but as long as I know its something that is somewhat normal and not just negligence on my part Im good with it for now

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Damien,
    There is another possibility. Some dvds are encoded with too much edge enhancement, which will also cause the rings you're seeing. The ghosting problem I mentionned earlier is usually seen to the right of a sharp dark edge on a lighter background, especially if the background is blue or gray. If the ghost runs all around the dark object, and only appears on certain discs it's edge enhancement on the disc. Phantom Menace is known for this.
    It's funny how the better our gear looks, the more we see any imperfections.

5. Kishu

Kishu Stunt Coordinator

6. Damien Montanile

Steve,
    Yup you are soo right about the imperfections [​IMG]. I did some reading in the Toshiba forum of Home theater spot. I got all the information I wanted to know and then some. Thanks for the tip.
    As for EE in movies, I kinda figured that was the case. I popped in Star Wars Episode 1, Unbreakable (Super EE), and a few others, all with Varying Results, so I figured it was the Disc producing it. Slowly but surely Im getting the hang of it all and knowing what Im seeing.
    I dont understand how Movie Studios can think EE looks good
    Thanks for all of the help,
    -Damien