What's new

SVM = Contrast+ ? (1 Viewer)

John_P_R

Auditioning
I'd like to know if Contrast+ is just philips way of naming Scan Velocity Modulation. I really like to know if these to names are really the synonymous. Here's a description of SVM by our own Jack Briggs

SVM = scan velocity modulation. Bordered images, with one being darker than the other, are scanned more frequently (velocity modulation) so as to give the appearance of sharpness. But it's nothing more than a built-in distortion at the expense of true resolution. Unfortunately, however, the mass-market buyers prefer it.
and here's the explaination they give in the philips manual for my television for Contrast+(black stretch)

The Constrast+(Black Stretch) control helps to "sharpen" the picture quality. The black portions of the picture become richer in darkness and the whites become brighter.

I'd really appreciate any help with this since it's going to make calibration much simpler if I know to just leave this setting off.

I would turn it off. Sounds like SVM to me. Anything that artifically sharpens the original image is bad news in my opinion.

John_P_R

Auditioning
thanks jeremy i'll take your advice and leave it off

I think I should leave DNR off to since I see most people on this forum or as far as I've seen from previous posts leave it off as well

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks