What's new

svideo - progressive scan - confused.... (1 Viewer)

I'm a bit turned around on a technical point. Here's the equipment:

cheapie DVD player - svideo out
Pioneer VSX D511 AV receiver/switcher
Extron 4LD switcher/RGB transcoder outputs RGBHV
Electrohome 3500 Plus ECP projector with RGBHV card

also have available a Truevision Vid I/O box and an Electrohome svideo input module for the 3500 Plus if needed

Everything up and running great. except the cheapie DVD player (assume 95% film-based DVD as source) is giving me a combing artifact on moving objects on the screen or on pans that drives me nuts. This is due to a crappy de-interlace processor on the player, I think.

My confusion: if I buy a progressive scan player (open for sub-$200 suggestions, single load only is great) I will still get svideo out (isn't that still an interlaced format?). If I run that svideo signal thru the above equipment, will the progressive signal stay intact and be accepted all the way down the line? Are any of the svideo/RGB transcoders shown above better than the others for this use?

I guess that my confusion has to do with progressive scan being non-interlaced but svideo being an interlaced format. I can get specs on the equipment if needed. Thanks for any help.

-Scott

TimG

Second Unit
Progressive is component only, no s-video. If you are wanting to run progressive to your electrohome you will need to run component into a component->vga trancoder, then to the projector via the RGBHV breakout cable. Also, the s-video cards for the Electrohome projectors are notoriously bad, avoid it if possible and run RGBHV into the projector.

TimG

Brief, clear, thanks. I guess that means that we can't use an AV receiver to switch the video sources since the receiver switches svideo sources. Not a dealbreaker.

Right now I've got a cable that has a mini DIN 4 svideo plug on one end (connected to the output of the switcher on the AV receiver) that connects via 2 BNC's to the component input on the Extron. Could I use a similar cable between the progressive scan DVD player (2 BNC's to component out) to connect it to the AV receiver (4 pin input)?

Can you switch component signals on an AV receiver that has svideo inputs?

-Scott

TimG

Second Unit
Ok, let me make sure I have this straight. You are converting the s-video from the receiver into a psuedo-component cable to the extron. (Because the Extron accepts component only through bnc connectors) What extron box is this? (Maybe the IN1503?) Are you getting a signal that your projector will recognize? Is the Extron also a doubler? I ask that last question because your projector shouldn't recognize a 480i signal, it thought it needed to be at least 480p.

TimG

I had it wrong. I'm coming out of the svideo DIN4 plug on the DVD player to a DIN4 svideo input on the AV receiver. Out of the receiver via DIN4 svideo to the Extron. The cord from the receiver has 2 BNC's on the other end and connects to the Y/C inputs on the Extron System 4 LD switcher http://www.extron.com/product/produc...ldxi&subtype=7 The Extron has been set up internally for the Electrohome (DIP switches) and sends RGBHV to the projector.

I guess I had mistaken the 2 BNC's that are Y/C for component video instead of svideo.

So if I want to get rid of the combing, I need to use a progressive scan player with component video out (3 coax cables) and get a component/RGBHV transcoder for the RGBHV projector. Then I'll need to figure out how to switch the projector to other sources...

-Scott

TimG

Second Unit
I don't know how good the doubler is in the Extron box. You might want to look into a scaler like the Quadscan. They can be picked up for anywhere between $500 to $2000 depending on what you need on it.

TimG

I see you found the processor forum at AVS. I replied to your topic there also.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks