Svideo or RCA (analog) Which is better?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason-Pro, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Jason-Pro

Jason-Pro Stunt Coordinator

Which one should i use ? I watch dvds and stuff alot. I was wondering which one was better quality and what is the difference between the 2 ?

2. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

RCA, Svideo, Component

good----------Best

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    The RCA video is also known as composite video. It sends the entire video signal as one entity, whereas s-video splits the video signal into separate components which results in a much sharper image with more resolution and a reduction in NTSC artifacts like dot crawl for example.

4. Jason-Pro

ok cool guess ill change that over. and Svideo is the same as RCA in Having a High quality Svideo cable for a better picture ? or will generic cables do (i like highest quality possible)

5. Michael Cook

Michael Cook Stunt Coordinator

In my opinion, the monster cables are over priced. you can get a good s-video cable at Radio Shack (gold series) for fairly cheap and you won't notice a difference from higher priced cables. The s-video only carries the video signal, so you still need to hook up the audio cables.

6. Jason-Pro

yeah i run the Dayton cables from partsexpress same as the ARs but half the price [​IMG] thats what all my cables in my bedroom are even my F-pin cable for my Radio antenna hehe.

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    You will start to see the quality difference in s-video cables in longer runs (I am using 20') and with larger displays especially although you will have to look for the differences ie. bleeding.

8. Jason-Pro

ok i may even go to fleet farm and pick up a high quality Svideo its the same ppl that make AR and Dayton (they look EXACLY the same lol was kinda funny actually when i bought my Subwoofer splitter from there and it was exacly same as my Dayton RCA sub cable from parts express.

9. errol

errol Stunt Coordinator

Hi Jason,

Your sig has Harman/kardon DVD 5... if it has component outs, use them over svid or composite.

r,
    Errol

10. Jason-Pro

Yeah all my stuff has it what is that ? (im new to HT and well still learning)

my TV has it my Receiver has it also.

11. Michael Cook

Component cables is the best way to hook everything up (better than s-video). Again, it only carries the video signal so you still need to hook up audio too (a digital optical or coxial if you have jacks for them)

12. Jason-Pro

What kind of cable do i need for the component ? or could i juse use a RCA A/V Cable or would i have to buy some component cables ? if i remember i think its a green blue and red plug (not sure lol)

13. Michael Cook

You need to buy some component cables. I use Radio Shack gold series. Does all your stuff have a digital connections for sound? You would need to use those for Dolby Digital Sound.

14. Jason-Pro

Yeah my receiver has digital im only using analog atm for sound on the dvd player tho cause i only have my 2 front speakers done so far heh. center channel is being glued as we speak but the rears i gott cut some tops and bottoms for. Cant wait to get this done ! gonna be so glad its done. (then im gonna have to figure out what to do for a finish)

15. Keith Ro

Keith Ro Agent

16. Robert P. Jones

Robert P. Jones Second Unit

S does not exactly separate the Y and the C - the luminance and chrominance.

It KEEPS them separated.

In composite, they start out separated, then are mixed - like an FM multiplex radio signal - into a "composite" format, which is a complex multiplex signal that contains both Y and C.

It is then "demodulated" - demultiplexed - at the other end, requiring sometimes half a dozen stages of circuitry at each end.

All to get back to having the Y and C again be separate, so the TV can use them.

S avoids all the slop - yes, primarily dot crawl - inserted in those unnecessary electronic stages. Which is what it takes, just to get to composite and back out again.

I don't know why they didn't have S a long time ago. It is a much more simple way of doing things.

Mr Bob