SVHS troubles

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Henry Colonna, Nov 12, 2001.

1. Henry Colonna

Henry Colonna Stunt Coordinator

I have been making a collection of a very important show in the past two years. I had a really crappy TV knowing that I was going to upgrade "soon." This is using a JVC SVHS model 4500 - last serviced on 02/01. There has NEVER been a rental VHS tape in this machine. I have used it tape approximately 60 -80 hours on brand new tapes.
    I finally did upgrade the TV several days ago. I was VERY disappointed with the quality of that and the quality of some other tapes made from a much more professional setup.
    I dashed out and bought a new JVC 3800 just to see how my tapes looked. I found that video quality was much better...but not quite what I had hoped.
    So I have an issue with the 4500. I either get it cleaned again (or repaired) or I buy a new unit. What truly annoys me is that I don't think that it should be exhibiting such poor playback quality after so few hours and given what I've put in it (fresh, clean, new tapes.)
    Advice?
    Also - my new Toshiba 61H71 seems to have difficulty with the S-VHS going into Video 1 or Video 2. Although the visual clarity was far better with the "new" JVC, the picture on the TV jumps around a bit, and I see flashes of the bottom corner in the upper left quadrant. It's like the TV is strugging to adjust the image on the screen and just cannot. This is true on the old and new JVCs. I have not yet calibrated with Avia or VE. I plan to.
    Also, my TiVO is grabbing what I want in Surround Sound. I am NOT getting surround sound on playback. I have a set of older tapes that I know are in Dolby because on my old setup dialogue would drop out because I did not have surround. But I don't hear surround on those either.

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Have you adjusted the tracking control on the VCR?
    Also poor quality video, notably with time base errors and improperly formatted horizontal and vertical blanking intervals (at the far end of every scan line and also scan lines 484 -525), is difficult for line doublers to deal with. Because VCR's are mechanical it is easy for errors to occur in the video signal.
    More video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

My first SVHS recorder was a JVC; it was heavy, expensive and of high quality. I bought a more recent model and it was cheaper in all respects. Recently I've been using Mitsubishi models, and am content.