What's new

SVHS recommendations? (1 Viewer)

CraigL

Screenwriter
Hey ya'll...

I'm looking for a good deck with great playback to transfer a lot of my stuff to DVD. Anyone have any recommendations on which ones to look at and where to buy? I can't even find a place with any in stock at this point.

Thanks!

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
For such a transfer project the best advice is to go to ebay and buy a used professional playback deck. I got a Panasonic AG7150 for the price of a household vcr, even though when new this was a several-thousand dollar machine. There are tons of S-VHS playback decks on the used market because pretty every tv station across the country dumped that format.

This kind of used equipment probably won't last long, but while it does it will output the signal with no consumer edge-enhancement bs. I've used it for the same situation you are in.

One thing to consider if buying a professional playback deck is that many only play back tapes recorded in two-hour mode.

As with any vcr, you have to look for ones that have HiFi audio.

And unlike any vcr, you have to find one with connections that are familiar to you.

John S

Senior HTF Member
In the retail side.. I think DVHS is fast becomming your only option.

JVC still have reasonable quality SVHS decks last I looked, but I had the impression the products would be short lived.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I’d look at the top-of-the-line JVC units. They’ve traditionally had a time-base correction function that improved playback.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Johnson_R

Auditioning
I own two panasonic svhs vcrs and they are great for recording in svhs. I would try them as well as the Sony SLV-R100 if you can find a good one on ebay.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
For a pro S-VHS unit, I recommend the Panasonic AG-1980 or Sony 1000 or Sony SVO-2000/2100/2200.

However, you should consider a JVC D-VHS deck. They're triple fuction creatures, VHS, S-VHS, and D-VHS. You might have some use for it after the archive project is over?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks