svchost.exe & Memory could not be "read" error

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Mike Grell, May 3, 2003.

1. Mike Grell

Mike Grell Agent

My ThinkPad T20 is recently displaying an error indicated that svchost.exe is referrencing some memory and complaining it cannot be "read" lately, which causes all drag-and-drop functions to stop working, plus any javascript, and certain window pop-up functions.

I have to reboot the machine to get functionality back - and it seems, if I just let the machine sit alone for a while the error will pop-up again after a seemingly random amount of time, again rendering the above functions useless.

What is svchost.exe, and what could this error mean? Does it mean I have bad memory in the machine, or is it a software error?

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks,
    Mike

2. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

3. Mike Grell

Mike Grell Agent

Hi John, thanks for the reply. I have 2 x 256MB of RAM in this machine, so I decided to test if one of these may have a problem. I pulled out one of the memory modules and have not had the error since (knock on wood). Going to let it run like this for a while to make sure, but so far so good.

I'm thinking 512MB RAM was a bit much anyways, as the machine seems to run *faster* now. Maybe its just me...

Thanks again!

Mike