Suzanne Vega and Toms Diner

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jacob_St, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Jacob_St

Jacob_St Second Unit

I'm a fan of Suzanne Vega and am trying to find a paticular mix of Tom's Diner. The one on her album is accapella (sp?) and I'm looking for the one I used to hear on the radio with music in it. Usually I'd hear it on A/C stations and I remember she sings the (duh duh duh) in between the song breaks. Am I making any sense? I feel kind of stupid posting this and have a feeling this post sounds rambling and idiotic. Can anyone steer me the right direction?

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Sounds like the remix that was done a few years later by some guys called DNA. Was quite a big hit. At the time it was trendy to take 'old' songs like that & put a slow dance beat behind them - Sting's "An Englishman in New York" got the same treatment.
    Quick search on eBay brought up this - Tom's Diner on eBay
    Looks like the CD single regularly goes for a couple of bucks, with only the 12" going for higher.
    NP: "French Disco" by Stereolab, off "Peel out in the States"

3. Paul D Young

Paul D Young Second Unit

The problem is that the song is not by Suzanne Vega. The band took her song and added the beat to it to create an interesting mix. I just heard this song like an hour ago on Chicago radio. I'm 99% sure that the version you are looking for is credited to the group DNA. It can be found on MTV : Vol. 1-MTV Party To Go as well as it's most famous place VA-Tom's Album : Tom's Album and I assume it would be on an album by DNA as well but who knows? The Tom's Album has a bunch of crazy versions of the same song I believe. Try the samples at CDNow to see if that is what you are looking for.

4. Paul D Young

Paul D Young Second Unit

Damn Brian, you are too fast!

5. BrianB

BrianB Producer

I try [​IMG]

6. Jacob_St

Jacob_St Second Unit

Yeah, the DNA must be it. It's been years since I've heard the mix. The song sounds very non vega like with that generic dance beat. I'm not sure if I like it anymore.[​IMG]
    Thanks for helping me out!

7. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

It's also on Women & Songs (The 1st one)

8. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

It was also the featured music to a Nissan Maxima TV commercial about six months ago. The credit for the song is DNA featuring Suzanne Vega.