What's new

SUSPIRIA re-mix missing sound effects and dialogue. Other problems too. (1 Viewer)

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Someone mentioned in a thread before i bought the dvd that when the camera pans down the girls body hanging...it seemed cut since it only showed her feet on down + the music cue seemed abrupt like it was in the middle of the cue. he mentioned that he could've swore the camera pan was longer & started from her face on down. I seem to remember it being that way also,though it has been along time since i saw the Magnum release(so i could be wrong)
I just did a direct A/B comparrison between the LD and the DVD and that scene is exactly the same. The DVD does not have any extra cuts made.

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
For what it's worth, Anchor Bay DVD producer William Lustig broke the usual firewall of silence regarding SUSPIRIA and other 'problem' discs a few days ago and contacted the website MHVF, offering to fully answer at length any questions folks there had about altered soundtracks, missing footage, 'unapproved' alterations to the SUSPIRIA mix, missing footage from MANHUNTER and so on. Lustig and Anchor Bay even set up a new email address (different to the ones listed above) for the Q&A, promising that every question received would be answered. Lustig's proposal was different in format to the usual Michael Felsher HTF chat in that he requested the questions pertain to DVD's already released, rather than possible future releases. The deadline for questions closed a few hours ago. Look for William Lustig's full explanation of the SUSPIRIA alterations, and other Anchor Bay controversies, sometime next week.

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Lewis, off the top of my head, POINT BREAK has a terrific 4.0 DD track. It was 4.0 in some theaters. They did a full 5.1 remix for the DTS, but there is little improvement. I would have to check my collection for other examples.
Christina, the LD and DVD of SUSPIRIA are the same as far as the fotage. Nothing is missing from the DVD. That sound cue was always abrupt. Probably to on purpose, as it grabs you.
Lustig is sure to be covering his ass with that Q&A. He knows why people are complaining and shouldn't have to wait to answer. His answers about some prior release controversies were complete BS, so why trust him now?
angry.gif

------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Duane M Davis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Duane Davis
post was addressed in another thread.
[Edited last by Duane M Davis on October 10, 2001 at 10:18 PM]

MattWel

Stunt Coordinator
I know this is a really old thread but is there a version that actually has the original soundmix or a downmix of the original soundtrack?

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
MattWel:

I don't have them myself, but I've heard that the Italian and German DVDs of SUSPIRIA include 2.0 downmixes of the original 4.0 track. This still isn't QUITE the same as a 4.0 discrete sound mix, but played back through a decent Dolby Pro-Logic or similar decoder, the sound should be similar to that on the Image laserdisc of SUSPIRIA, and much preferable and closer to the original theatrical experience than the horrendously awful remix that Chase did for Anchor Bay.

Maybe if Blue Underground ever gets around to re-releasing the Dario Argento titles Bill Lustig produced for Anchor Bay, this time he'll listen to all these complaints and include the ORIGINAL sound mixes of these films as well as the Chase remixes. It's simply assinine that the DVDs have 2.0 soundtracks, but these are all downconversions of the 5.1 (or 6.1) remixes as opposed to the original stereo mixes. INFERNO, PHENOMENA, and OPERA were all mixed in "Dolby Stereo" originally, and these original Dolby mixes should've been included as the 2.0 tracks. SUSPIRIA, of course, really needs a DVD release with the 4.0 discrete stereo sound mix from 1977 as well as any remix, and the remix itself should be fixed, too, since there are SO many errors on it.

Vincent

MattWel

Stunt Coordinator
The Anchor Bay dvd is my first experience with the film. Where exactly should the musical piece "Whispers and Sighs" be heard. Can you hear it on the Italian 2.0 track on the Anchor Bay disc? thanks,

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Well if they have to justify a re-release how about releasing it under the Divamax label with newly mixed 5.1 audio and the original surround track?
Worked for Manhunter & Dawn of the Dead.

MattWel

Stunt Coordinator
The music titled "Whispers and Sighs" can be heard while the two women are talking after the window blows open on the English and Italian 2.0 tracks on the German Dragon dvd release and the 5.1 Italian and 2.0 English tracks on the Italian disc.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
"Whispers and Sighs" can also be heard on the original mix (and NOT the Anchor Bay butchering) right before Stefania Casini gets attacked in the dark corridor, as she's backing up against the wall right after she knocks into the door which, causing it to slowly sway open and close.

Vincent

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks