SUSPIRIA & OPERA: First reviews of the DVD's right here.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt_Stevens, Aug 30, 2001.

1. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

OK, I am going to print the comments sent to me by a long time friend of mine who was lucky enough to get his hands on the multi-disc SE's for SUSPIRIA and OPERA. This guy knows his shit and is onthe level. Summing his comments up on SUSPIRI... They got it right. His OPERA comments will come later.
    His comments on SUSPIRIA in an e-mail to me:

2. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

3. Matt_Stevens

Great review for he extras, but not very comprehensive with audio & video. The screen shots won't load (other than the 1st too). Poor Daria looks so old (as seen in the thumb nail). She was a hotty in her day. Love her in DEEP RED and her ass in SHOCK. [​IMG]
    MORE COMMENTS on SUSPIRIA. The 2.0 mix is NOT the original:
    quote: The death scene of Sara or whatever - all three English tracks have her scream HEAVILY muted - the music completely drowns it out - yet the LD her voice was still loud - it might be that the 2.0 track is just a downmix of the remix, not the original - that scene stuck out because it almost looks like she just opens her mouth and nothing comes out - her voice gets lost on the DD and DTS and 2.0 - but it IS there very much so on the [/quote]
    OPERA fans! Rejoice. It is 2.35:1. But my friend states: "2.35:1 -shot super 35mm - looks cramped if you ask me - TOO tight."
    More comments coming.
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman
    [Edited last by Matt_Stevens on August 30, 2001 at 04:28 PM]

4. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

Along with HorrorDVDs, http://www.dvdmaniacs.net
    I have both titles pre-ordered (the LEs, not the regular editions) and I can't wait.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    DVD In Detail - DVD Reviewer
    My DVD Collection / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
    "I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

5. Matt_Stevens

I wasn't talking about online reviews. There are so many online places now that review DVD's, I gave up keeping track. I go to dvdfile and digitalbits and that's pretty much it. For region 2 titles I go to bulletsnbabdesdvds, as they always get to review HKL's latest releases.
    That being said, the dvdmaniacs reviews are pretty good and worth reading. I'll be borrowing my friends OPERA DVD, but I won't buy it. I truly hate that film (I want to see the documentary).
    ------------------

6. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

I've never seen Suspiria, but after reading about in reviews, here on the HTF and on IMDB, I just have to get the 3-disc set! [​IMG]
    The screenshots looks absolutely fabulous, I can't wait to see this "masterpiece" (hopefully I'll classify it as such)!
    ------------------
    ~ Stud. Polyt. ~ Artur Meinild ~

7. Mathias Klemme

Mathias Klemme Stunt Coordinator

I'm just happy the Suspiria 3-disc edition doesn't come in a tin. I hate these damn things.
    Mathias

8. Matt_Stevens

Agreed. My HELLRAISER Tin is a damned plague. It doesn't fit anywhere in the shelf, so it sits on top of it. [​IMG]
    ------------------

9. Wes Ray

Wes Ray Supporting Actor

I have pre-ordered both as well. [​IMG]
    While Opera isn't nearly as frightening as Suspiria, it has some truly memorable imagery and haunting visuals.
    Spoiler:The bullet going through the keyhole, through Daria's eye, and into a telephone across the room has to be seen to be believed.
    Excellent mystery/slasher movie. [​IMG]

10. Eric Wickitt

Eric Wickitt Agent

Props to you my friend, for posting the info on the packaging. I've been trying to find out HOW they could manage 3 discs in a double amaray.... which led me to continue worrying that they might be in some other new convoluted oversized hunk of (expletive deleted [​IMG]).
    Many, many, mad props.
    ------------------
    Life is great. Without it,...you'd be dead.

11. Matt_Stevens

Wes, the first time I saw that scene it was panned & scanned and the shot was ruined. Yes, even though it was a Super35 film, FX shots are usually done 1.85:1 or 2.35:1, so this transfer was cropped. Later, I saw a 1.85:1 transfer and the scene was greatly improved.
    ------------------

12. Matt_Stevens

His initial impressions of OPERA are not as powerful as Suspiria. "Too tight framing. Source material not as nice as Suspiria or Deep Red. Sound not as impressive." But he says it looks & sounds better than the Japanese laserdisc. I'll see for myself next week, as he is letting me borrow it. I'll be curious to see the documentary.
    ------------------

13. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Sounds great! I've already got Suspiria pre-ordered, and I'm thinking seriously about Opera...
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    "Death's at the bottom of everything, Martins - leave death to the professionals!"
    "Mind if use that line in my next western?"

14. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

I for one, will NOT pre-order the Suspira LE. Why? Two damn good reasons
    1. I want to avoid the Akira fiasco many have experienced from a lot of onine retailers.
    2. I will take the risk of getting the LE from a local store.
    Anybody want to try and change my mind? I'm open to suggestions.
    ------------------
    "I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson
    My DVD Collection

15. Matt_Stevens

16. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Maybe fiasco was too strong of a word.
    A while back, there was a thread started here about how some people ordered limited edition Akira tins from www.buy.com or amazon.com and never received them, even when they put the orders several months in advance. The point I'm trying to make is that would it be worth the risk of pre-ordering the LE of Suspiria and waiting for it in the mail, or should I rather take the chance and find it in a Best Buy or Suncoast.
    ------------------
    "I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson
    My DVD Collection

17. Matt_Stevens

OK. Gotcha. I will simply check to see if mine has shipped and if by the release date it has not, then I will go find one locally (if possible, as those types of LE's are never stocked at retailers. Heck, Circuit City didn't stock ANY AKIRA DVD's and still don't have them!).
    All this Argento talked put me into a horror-mood, so last night I watched DEEP RED and SHOCK. SHOCK is easily one of the most boring horror films I have ever seen. Yes, it was nice to Daria Nicolodi's naked behind (and she had an incredible body back in 77), however, the script was bad and the dubbing even worse. Lame, lame lame. Nice 16x9 transfer, but there was a lot of artifacting in the black, or greens, as the negative has started to turn color.
    DEEP RED, I have watched countless times, but this is the first time I have watched it on my new 47" 16x9 HDTV. Anchor Bay really did a fine job with this release. It has far less artifacting then major titles from major studios and makes the film look like it was shot just 5 years ago instead of 25. Bloody awesome. [​IMG]
    ------------------

18. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I found the slow pacing of Shock to be dream-like and well suited to the storyline which was not really trying to be a thrill a minute horror film but rather a slow & deliberate creepy ghost story.
    I don't mind a film taking it's time getting to the point as long as it is done with some class, and I thought Shock was well crafted, however I am a Mario Bava fan so maybe I'm a bit biased (I also loved Planet of the Vampires).
    (the dubbing was crap, the boy's voice was excruciating [​IMG] )
    ------------------
    -Kevin M.
    "Have a good time all the time........that's my philosophy, Marty."
    [Edited last by Kevin M on September 01, 2001 at 07:18 PM]

19. Matt_Stevens

SUSPIRIA is in my Malata N996, playing on my Panasonic 47WX49 HDTV. I think I am going to piss myself. [​IMG]

20. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Just picked up the Suspiria L.E. at a local b&m - I won't say which one as I believe this title is supposed to street next week - for $28.00. I'm no expert, but I must say that the transfer looks damn good! Very little to complain about there. I only wish I had a 5.1/DTS setup so I could really enjoy that soundtrack! [​IMG] Well, gotta go cancel my Amazon pre-order...
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    "Death's at the bottom of everything, Martins - leave death to the professionals!"
    "Mind if use that line in my next western?"