Suspiria dvd questions (documentary, the cut..)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean Patrick, Sep 8, 2001.

1. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

i was amazed to find a copy of Suspiria a little early...it's the single dvd set. I'm a huge fan of this movie and couldn't wait for the special edition once i saw in front of me.
    now, i'm not a huge extras-watcher unless an extra is really spectacular...so am i missing A LOT by having the single dvd? basically having the beautiful presentation of the film is what i wanted, and i rarely watch documentary extras more than once.
    also, i know this is the "uncut" version but I swear there are some shots I have seen in other "uncut" versions of this film that aren't in this dvd. In particular, during the first murder scene, when the camera pans down the hanging body the shot seems to start halfway in (only showing the legs), with the music cue sounding cut off as well. i hope i'm wrong!
    thanks

2. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I can't help you with the "cuts" issue as this is the first time I've seen Suspiria in a long time (I found the L.E. early too, BTW), but I will say that the documentary is a pretty good one - there's an interesting conversation with the cinematographer in which he discusses his use of Technicolor which at the time was being phased out. And of course, you also get to see and hear the always-entertaining Udo Kier... [​IMG] If you like this movie, I'd suggest selling the single-disc version and picking up the L.E. - I purchased it up for $27.99. You also get the soundtrack cd which features, IMO, Goblin's best score. The set comes with an assortment of reproduced lobby cards and a booklet that has an essay by one Travis Crawford and an interview with Jessica Harper. All in all, the Suspiria L.E. is one of Anchor Bay's better efforts and definitely worth the money.
    ------------------
    He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
    -- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

3. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

I'll compare that scene to the uncut LD when my copy comes from 800.com. I watched some of the documentary (a friend of mine got his from Amazon over a week ago, the bastard!) and I must say, I found the 10 minutes I saw to be very interesting and wish I had it right NOW so that I could watch the rest.
    What I was very pleased with was that the doc was all anamorphic, so that the interviews were actually 16x9 1.85:1 and the film footage the proper 16x9 2.35:1. ALL documentaries should be done this way. It's a real blessing when you have a 16x9 RPTV. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman