What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Both parties involved are doing the best that they can with a well used Eastman Color negative, inclusive of footage derived from dupes.

Both have referenced dye transfer prints.

Synapse, as Mr. Kimmel has stated, fully financed the 4k scan, and as their work nears its completion, I've a feeling that things will get very interesting.

They also went out of their way to locate, and access, the original stereo mix.

There's far more going on here than meets the eye.

With archival funds difficult to attain, two restorations were unnecessary. The situation seems to have been created by the desire to have a theatrical anniversary release, while the Synapse restoration was ongoing.

Readers should be able to figure out further details, but from what I've been able to deduce, the problems come from neither Synapse nor Mr. Kaiser, with both doing their best to create something special.

They should not be pitted against one another, as they are not adversaries.

Last edited:

Derrick King

Screenwriter

Readers should be able to figure out furher details, but from what I've been able to deduce, the problems come from neither Synapse nor Mr. Kaiser, with both doing their best to create something special.
God knows I'm not one to point out typos, but, given the context, this made me laugh. (unless it was intentional, but even then, it is funny.)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
God knows I'm not one to point out typos, but, given the context, this made me laugh. (unless it was intentional, but even then, it is funny.)

Totally unintentional. Comes from typing on an iPad.

For the record, I have great respect for Mr. Kaiser, and the capabilities of his company.

Steen DK

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steen
I watched the Italian BD yesterday (instead of just looking at screen-shots which is suddenly acceptable [weird that]) and the green is definitely dominant. In some scenes it seems fine and in others... not so fine. Then, it was always a garish looking film and I'm not going to pretend that I know how it should look. I'll probably buy the Synapse edition too.

This whole thing seems like a complete reversal of the Coppola's Dracula situation. Remember the reaction when it was first released on BD back in 2007 and people were shocked at the way it completely departed from previous versions and the way people thought it should look? Moonlight had gone from blue to green, bonfires from orange to grey, and carefully crafted special effects had become lost in darkness - and yet we were told to shut up and accept that there was no way that Kim Aubry could be wrong. In this analogy Torsten Kaiser would be Kim Aubry, I guess, but I'm certainly willing to entertain the notion that he could be wrong or that whatever answer print (or its equivalent) he's working from is flawed.

What really bothers me is the rampant hypocrisy: A forum that pretty much always insists that screen-shots are completely useless, suddenly decides to judge two blu-rays (one of which hasn't been released) solely from screen-shots.

PS. My opinions of the Italian BD should be taken with a grain of salt as I was preeeeeetty drunk when I watched it. But frankly, I think it's the only way to watch Suspiria. The film is a load of bollocks. Enjoyable, often beautiful, but bollocks.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Totally unintentional. Comes from typing on an iPad.

For the record, I have great respect for Mr. Kaiser, and the capabilities of his company.
An earned respect, no doubt.

It struck me funny, in large part, do the location of the film and, in particular, the shooting location of the deserted square (Königsplatz) and its history of being used as a location for rallies by the Nazis (unless I'm mistaken, one reason Argento selected the location.)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The sound work we have been doing on this is insane. The fidelity of the original mag masters is just out of this world, transferred in 96/24 no less.

Vincent

This is the first use of the original masters in decades, is it not?

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Done! And finally!

Shoot, mis-typed my E-mail address when I ordered. Guess it'll be a surprise when it ships then.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So will this only be available from Synapse directly or will Amazon be selling it as well?

The steel book with the two blu-rays and CD that Travis linked to will only be available through Synapse until it sells out...and a horror title this popular with only 6000 available is likely to sell out fairly quickly even at $50.00. After the steel book is gone, I believe based on how Synapse has handled their other releases like this, they will release a regular version in a normal blu-ray case without the CD and possibly without some of the other goodies on this limited edition that they will make available on Amazon.

If you want the steel book though with all the stuff it is a limited edition sold only through Synapse.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
After the steel book is gone, I believe based on how Synapse has handled their other releases like this, they will release a regular version in a normal blu-ray case without the CD and possibly without some of the other goodies on this limited edition that they will make available on Amazon.
Also, anyone holding off for the standard release will probably have to wait until about this time next year.

And here's a earlier post in this thread from August 15, 2014:
^ I know I'm basing this just on talk but it sounds like they're going to do a GREAT job with this release. Now we just have to wait a year or so until it comes out.
Or three years. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks