1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Suspiria blu-ray from Synapse

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by John Doe, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Derrick King

Derrick King Supporting Actor

2. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    $45! Yikes! I'll wait for it to (hopefully) come down in price before upgrading from the Synapse Blu-ray. If it doesn't become more affordable I'll just stick with what I've got.

3. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Cinematographer
    Supporter

Yikes! Full retail is $60. As much as I would love to have this and support small companies like Synapse, the current Blu-ray looks fantastic and I want to stay married. Guess I can either hope for some unexpected money to come my way or else do without it for the time being.

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Well, that is less expensive than the steelbook BD, which was $49.95. Still, that's a tough price to swallow. I think I will stick with the Synapse BD, too.

5. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie

Stephen J. Hill
    I also question the decision to only include the special features BD rather than including a BD copy of the film as well. It can't add THAT much to the cost of the package, can it?

6. Derrick King

Derrick King Supporting Actor

It is going to be available everywhere, so it'll be cheaper than what Synapse's site is charging (it is $38 at Diabolik DVD)

7. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Diabolik's $5 shipping charge brings that cost up to $42.99 but yeah, I'll be shopping around once it's released.

8. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I'm reviewing this now, ask me anything you want to know about it. Atmos sounds pretty great, but the original 4 track via DTS discrete 4.0 is there too if you want it, plus the Italian 5.1.

@Vincent_P Got any insights for us here?

9. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Cinematographer
    Supporter

I watched about a half-hour of it last night. As much as the original 4.0 is the high water mark for such a mix, I have to say that the new Atmos mix is even better. It keeps what was great about the original mix and just adds extra "oomph," for lack of a better word. More spacious and enveloping. I didn't think it would be possible, so I'm pleasantly surprised.

It goes without saying that it also looks fantastic. Nothing that blows the Blu-ray out of the water, because that disc is simply top notch, but enough of an improvement in color delineation and clarity to be worth the money for those who have the equipment to take advantage of the disc.

Sam Posten and Scott Merryfield like this.
  10. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I watched the disc this morning, and I agree with @Brian Kidd that the Atmos soundtrack is an improvement over the already amazing original 4.0 mix. I felt like I was enveloped in sound, and I do not have any height speakers installed. Simply astounding.

The video was incredible, as well. The Synapse BD was quite an achievement, but the UHD takes the film to another level. I was hesitant to spend the high price on this release, but after watching the entire film today I am very happy I upgraded. If you are a fan of the movie and have a 4K setup, I would highly recommend this release.After it came out, I didn't think we would ever seen anything better than the BD release, but I am happy I was wrong.

Felix Martinez likes this.