What's new

Suspiria 3-disc Set (1 Viewer)

John Randolph

Stunt Coordinator
I'm thinking about buying this from Best Buy, but I need some opinions. I've read reviews that say it's an absolute masterpiece, and read some that say it's ridiculous and horribly overrated. Since I've never seen the movie, is it worth a purchase?

EDIT: Also, why is the film dubbed instead of subtitled?

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Yes it's worth a blind purchase. While I wouldn't call it a masterpiece as many do on this forum, I do consider it a very well made and influential horror movie. If you've never seen anything from Argento, Suspiria is a great place to start. Best Buy will be running a sale soon, so if you can pick it up for $17.99 (with a $44.95 MSRP) I say it's a no brainer. Besides, if you don't like it you could always sell it on Ebay and probably make a profit.

As for the whole dubbed issue, I'm not sure why this is the case, although it is very common among Euro-horror.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Well, half the cast is American, for one thing. Jessica Harper was very active as an actress in the 1970's, appearing in such films as PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE and the Rocky Horror sequel SHOCK TREATMENT. Joan Bennett's career goes back to the 1940's when she was a popular leading lady in many Hollywood films, like the 1950 version of FATHER OF THE BRIDE. Obviously the producers had a solid eye on the U.S. market when they put the film together.

It's not at all unusual for European productions to use multi-national casts, all speaking their respective languages, and then being dubbed into one language for final release.

And finally, when have you ever heard of subtitled horror movies finding a substantial audience in this country, especially back in the 1970 's ? In North America, subtitles = art film.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
The cast of Suspiria ranges from Americans to Italians to Germans. Everybody on the set was speaking a different language. With almost all Euro horror films, no dialog is recorded during filming. When the film is all put together, they call the actors back in and ask them to dub their voices for English, Italian, etc.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
I was given this 3-disc set as a gift , watched it once, and later sold it. after seeing it, I told myself I will never watch this movie ever again. So I got rid of it.

For me, the movie has no replay value after seeing it once.

At least rent it first. then decide.

John Randolph

Stunt Coordinator
I just watched it, and I must day it's wonderful. As for replay value, I already want to watch it again.

Matthew Furtek

Stunt Coordinator
I bought it blind (thanks to HTF recommendation), and it wasn't scary at all, in fact I found it to be very cheesy and was expecting a better film. Watched it with 5 of my college roomates last year and after the first 20 minutes we all were disappointed, most of all me who had overhyped the movie before seeing it. We are all down to earth guys, not what people think of as college students.

Maybe I'll watch it again and find it scary. I own Opera too but haven't watched it since seeing Suspiria.

I doubt you'll be able to rent it at Blockbuster or Hollywood, but I would if I were you.

Matthew Furtek

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Suspiria seems to be one of those love it or hate it sort of films. I find it to be one of Argento's lesser efforts, as I much prefer films of his such as Deep Red, Tenebrae, and Phenomena. If a local video store offers Suspiria for rent, I'd definitely recommend a rental first. It's a pretty risky blind purhcase if you're not already a fan of Argento's low-plot/high-style films (e.g., Inferno).
DJ

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
SUSPIRIA is a horror masterpiece, and is Argento's best film in my opinion. Its not for everyone, but to me, it is a spectacular piece of horror cinema.
As for DEEP RED, it is an okay film, but I find it to be one of Argento's lesser films, and definitely not as good as its made out to be, so its obvious Argento films make different impressions on different people.

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
John, Suspiria is great and I'm glad you enjoyed it. If you REALLY liked it, you'll also like his other films. Start with Inferno which is my favorite and is a sequel to Suspiria. Then go with Deep Red which is a giallo masterpiece. Pretty much anything he did between 75-87 is good.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Plus, the DVD of Suspiria is stunning. Really beautiful!
I think I've heard that the film was actually shot in 3-color technicolor. Anybody confirm or deny this?

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
Yep, it was shot in the 3-strip process. Even if you don't like the story, you can't deny the greatness of the music and cinematography.

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
I've read reviews that say it's an absolute masterpiece, and read some that say it's ridiculous and horribly overrated.
In short, they're both right.:) It's a masterpiece, visually speaking, but the narrative structure is rather lacking. Susperia spends most of its energy to create a creepy atmosphere and what's left gets devoted to the set pieces. In other words, the story is merely an idea on which to hang everything else. Still, worth a blind purchase if you can find it(the 3-disc set) for around $20...

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I bought the 3-disk set and had high expectations. I was disappointed because I thought it to be cheesy. I would rather have paid for the single disk than the 3-disk set. But then again, I'm not too big on extras.

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
I like at hell of a lot. It's a very visual film, and its shortcomings plot-wise can easily be overlooked because of the film's excellent overall mood.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Wow. This would seem to confirm it was not shot in 3-color tecnnicolor!
I didn't even know you could print films, not shot in 3-color technicolor, in the 3-strip process. That is, until somebody else here at the ole' HTF said the American release prints of Rodan were shot in Eastman color but printed using 3-color technicolor. Fascinatin' stuff!

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
Well, you could trust what the director of photography and the director say in the documentary or some people on a message board. Take your pick. :D

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

Notice I did say it would seem to confirm it. The guy in the Mobius post does sound like he knows what he's talking about, whatever that's worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks