What's new

SUSPICION and THE THIN MAN: Missing TV series (1 Viewer)

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Does anyone have a clue as to when either SUSPICION, the Alfred Hitchcock co-produced series,
or THE THIN MAN, with Peter Lawford and Phyllis Kirk, might be coming to DVD? I know that there's
a very fuzzy Public Domain version of SUSPICION: Season One out there, but I gather it's all but
unwatchable. Great shows I remember fondly, but haven't seen since they were first broadcast.
Many thanks for any input!

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
We have been asking Warner Archive for The Thin Man series for a few years. They are aware of the demand but there are some rights issues that need to be cleared. If they can clear I'm sure they will release it as two season sets one release at a time.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Thanks for the info on THE THIN MAN, Randy. Any thoughts on SUSPICION?

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I want SUSPICION a great deal more than THE THIN MAN (it's one of my top remaining "grail" shows), but it's with Universal, and since they haven't moved on domestic releases of ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS: SEASON 7, nor the three seasons THE ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR, the chances of any kind of official SUSPICION release are pretty low. The only good-looking SUSPICION episode I've seen is "Four O'Clock", which Hitchcock (masterfully) directed himself, and I think that print was struck/converted to tape for showing as a special presentation during the early days of NICK @ NITE'S TV LAND channel in the mid-1990s (which is where I first saw it). Or perhaps it was done as preservation of a significant individual piece of film and TV Land picked it up, since it was available and ready to go, I don't know.

I always thought Universal (or Time-Life, licensing from them) should've gone the deluxe route, years ago, and put out a remastered, comprehensive TV HITCHCOCK collection; including all 7 seasons of ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS, all 3 seasons of THE ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR, the 23 or so Hitchcock-produced SUSPICION episodes (constituting sort of a proto extra season of HITCHCOCK HOUR, despite the lack of Hitch hosting duties) and the lone, Hitchcock produced-and-directed episode of FORD STARTIME THEATER, "Incident at a Corner" (also shown on TV LAND, back in the day), which was Hitch's only TV work filmed in color (shot a week after he completed PSYCHO), and which is also owned by Universal. But, sadly, I think at this late date in the life of physical media, that ship has already sailed, long ago. I would love to be proven wrong. Hey, next year is Hitchcock's 120th birthday, so maybe........ nah.

I suppose the only other possibility is if Universal were to spend the money to convert the original SUSPICION materials to a digital format for streaming, and/or broadcast on COZI or ME-TV or something, also allowing for a quick, no-frills release on disc themselves, or --if episode story rights wouldn't get in the way-- through a license to a 3rd party like Shout/Timeless or Kino Lorber. Maybe the Film Noir Foundation should look into this and get involved, somehow.

Last edited:

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I think it was established some years back that only two episodes or so were known to exist.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
There's one episode of The Thin Man TV series on Warner Archive's Blu-Ray of the The Thin Man film, and another included on the Forbidden Planet Blu. Maybe they'll add another one as a supplement on the upcoming After the Thin Man Blu-Ray.

Personally, I doubt we'll see either Suspicion or The Thin Man series released at this stage...but I hope to be proven wrong!

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Does anyone think either series might stream on Hulu, Netflix, Prime ??

mark-edk

Second Unit
The Thin Man aired on TNT years ago; nice clean 35mm prints from the looks of them. I think maybe only the first season because, in researching the theme for a series of YouTubes I'm posting, I saw the opening to season two which I had never seen before (they're driving in a very sporty car rather than walking Asta down the street). But every s02 episode I've found on youtube or elsewhere appears to be from a 16mm print most of them more or less beat-up and scratchy.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Does anyone have a clue as to when either SUSPICION, the Alfred Hitchcock co-produced series,
or THE THIN MAN, with Peter Lawford and Phyllis Kirk, might be coming to DVD? I know that there's
a very fuzzy Public Domain version of SUSPICION: Season One out there, but I gather it's all but
unwatchable. Great shows I remember fondly, but haven't seen since they were first broadcast.
Many thanks for any input!
Depends on how picky you are about what's watchable. If you just want to have seen it, it's OK. If you want perfect picture/sound then no. By the way only 10 of the apparent 42 episodes produced were produced by Hitchcock (© Shamley) while the other 11 filmed episodes (© Revue) apparently have no relation to Hitchcock). The other 21 live shows I've never seen as available (as kinescopes) and may be lost.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
I want SUSPICION a great deal more than THE THIN MAN (it's one of my top remaining "grail" shows), but it's with Universal, and since they haven't moved on domestic releases of ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS: SEASON 7, nor the three seasons THE ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR, the chances of any kind of official SUSPICION release are pretty low. The only good-looking SUSPICION episode I've seen is "Four O'Clock", which Hitchcock (masterfully) directed himself...
I always thought Universal (or Time-Life, licensing from them) should've gone the deluxe route, years ago, and put out a remastered, comprehensive TV HITCHCOCK collection; including all 7 seasons of ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS, all 3 seasons of THE ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR, the 23 or so Hitchcock-produced SUSPICION episodes (constituting sort of a proto extra season of HITCHCOCK HOUR, despite the lack of Hitch hosting duties) and the lone, Hitchcock produced-and-directed episode of FORD STARTIME THEATER, "Incident at a Corner" (also shown on TV LAND, back in the day), which was Hitch's only TV work filmed in color (shot a week after he completed PSYCHO), and which is also owned by Universal. But, sadly, I think at this late date in the life of physical media, that ship has already sailed, long ago. I would love to be proven wrong. Hey, next year is Hitchcock's 120th birthday, so maybe........ nah.
As mentioned above, only 10 episodes of Suspicion were produced by Hitchcock.
"Incident at a Corner" has been released on DVD in Region 4 (Madman) in the Alfred Hitchcock Directs collection which claims to include all the television episodes directed by Hitchcock, although oddly enough, "Four O'Clock" is not included.

Other episodes which may also be of interest are: an episode of Alcoa Premiere (aka Fred Astaire's Premiere Theatre) titled "The Jail," (written by Ray Bradbury) which carries "An Alfred Hitchcock Production" credit as on his own series and the pilot of a new series to replace The Alfred Hitchcock Hour (but not picked up) titled "Dark Intruder," which was released in theatres instead. (Although there is no direct Hitchcock credit*, it is © Shamley). Leonard Maltin gave it three stars and Universal has released it on DVD.

*It was produced by Jack Laird who later produced Rod Serling's Night Gallery.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
I recently watched one of the non-Hitchcock episodes of Suspicion, "Protégé." It starred three actors any two of which I've seldom (if ever) seen together: Agnes Moorehead, Jack Klugman and William Shatner. As far as I know it is the earliest TV appearance I've seen of any of them (1958). Of course, it predates their seven separate appearances on The Twilight Zone. The picture quality was the usual public domain (good enough for me) but there was a big break/cut in the opening credits: Agnes Moorehead's starring credit and the title were missing; it goes from the Suspicion series title to "and co-starring William Shatner Jack Klugman."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks