What's new

suspended ceiling lighting options (1 Viewer)

ChrisMark

Agent
I am setting up a home theater in my basement. One of the many issues I have is which type of lighting to use in the suspended ceiling which due to financial contraints I cannot change. Currently, there are 2 flourescent lighting fixtures sucured to the joists and plexiglass panels below the fixturs. This puts off plenty of light, but is quite distracting for television viewing. I would like to install track lighting in place of the flourescent fixtures. Has anyone attempted this or have any other lighting suggestions that will work with supended ceilin panels.

MancusoB

Agent
Definitely lose the fluorescent fixtures.

Track is a good option. Particularly if the voltage for the fixtures is 120V and you can add a dimmer switch.

MR16 lamps will produce a bright white light or dim down to a soft glow. The advantage is that you can highlight artwork on the walls... or even your surround speakers if they look nice.

Another option would be to scrap the fluorescent fixtures and just use some halogen torchiere floor lamps. You can get these for cheap at most discount stores, and they come with integral dimmers.

Troy Swope

Stunt Coordinator
Suspended ceilings are great for track lighting, they sell a special clip that will mount to the susepended ceiling, and then has threads that allow you to mount the track to them with a nut. Works very nice and is a clean install.

To get power to the track, you can use a "floating" canopy that then wires to your existing 120 volt electrical that should already be somewhere in the ceiling.

Just be sure and follow code in your area, make sure all electrical connections are in a box, and use wire nuts to secure all connections.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks