Susie-Q in Super Audio for You!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee Scoggins, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
  2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lee, thanks for posting the link. I knew these three were coming and am glad to hear they have arrived. The only problem is that they are $25 each, which is too much for an SACD. Oh well. I'll get them eventually anyway. I love Willy and the Poorboys on SACD. I'll get Cosmo's Factory next.

3. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

Green River is in transit from Elusive and I've got a river of green$ going back at them [​IMG].
    CCR stuff this good is essential.

4. Phil A

Phil A Producer
    Supporter

Phil
    My 3 have shipped as well and I should see them by the end of this week or beginning of next.

5. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

6. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Friends,
    I have Cosmos Factory and just love it. I really have to hand it to Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray and Chad Kassem for funding this project. CCR never sounded this great!
    Please post your reviews of the new discs here for the readers. Steve Hoffman says Susie-Q is very, very clean in the new transfer.
    I can't wait to hear it. [​IMG]

7. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

I have all 5 CCR SACDs - and I must congratulate Mr. Hoffman and Mr. Gray on their efforts. Excellent sonics all around - even if certain albums sound better than others.

I also have all but one of these albums on AP remastered vinyl (by Hoffman/Gray also) - and those are superior also.

I must say though, that the first Creedence album - "Creedence Clearwater Revival" is a killer. It was great on vinyl - "I Put A Spell On You" has to be heard to be believed.

Even though the first Creedence album isn't the hit laden wonder that most of their other albums are - it is probably the best sounding of the bunch - both on SACD and vinyl.

Even though it sounds good, I would say that sonically, "Bayou Country" is the weakest. But weak in regard to Hoffman/Gray is probably due to the master tape and not the mastering job to DSD. And that said, "Bayou Country" probably beats Sony's best SACD transfer from old analog tapes by a mile.

All 5 discs are recommended.

8. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Michael,

Can you post some mini reviews on each of the five?

I am curious as to specific tracks like Susie-Q...

9. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

Lee said:

10. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Dan, I wouldn't say I was "blown away" by the sound of the Willy and the Poorboys SACD like I was with the Hot Rocks SACD. However, in the CCR case, my frame of reference was the 20-bit K2 CD, which sounds quite good. In the Stones case, my frame of reference was the old 1986 ABKCO CD release, which sounds like crap. The SACD is much better, but so is the CD layer. Since buying the SACD, I found a used copies of the old London Hot Rocks CDs released in Europe, which also kill the ABKCO CDs. So, I have found that Hot Rocks can sound quite good on CD since first hearing the SACD. Not as good as the SACD, but good. Anyway, everything is relative, and I had a good frame of reference in the CCR case, but I did not have a good frame of reference initially in the Stones case.

I'm not sure I will be blown away by any of the CCR SACDs. I have all of the CCR 20-bit K2 CDs, and they are all impressive. I also have the DCC gold CD of Cosmo's Factory, which is, of course, a Steve Hoffman production. It is wonderful.

12. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

I plan on picking up all of the CCR SACD eventually. I am hoping if I wait long enough they will come down in price or at least go on sale somewhere in the 16 to 20 dollar range. Twenty five bucks for a music title is just too much in my opinion.

I think after the holidays I am going to pick up the CCR Chronical box set (6 discs) for 50 bucks shipped from BMG. Since I have seen many comments that it is a toss up between the K2 remasters and the new SACD releases this might end up being a better investment of my money. These should hold me over nicely for less then one third the price of the SACD, until the SACD are hopefully on sale or price reduced.

J

13. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Second Unit

My copy of "Suzy Q" should be here today. She was delayed by the ice storm in the east yesterday. [​IMG]

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Justin said:

15. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

16. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

17. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

I definitely prefer the sound of the SACDs (at least the ones I've heard so far -- the first 3 just arrived yesterday and I haven't had a chance to play with them yet). The K2s get in your face and scream, "Hey, I'm bright, shiny and remastered!", while the SACDs just sound "right."

The price is pretty steep, but I look at it as the same deal as the old DCC Gold CDs (RIP). I found the price of those worthwhile for those albums I liked enough to want the best version of. Ditto the AP SACDs.

Ryan

18. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Just a note to those of you who are members at BMG. This months newest deal (at least for me) is buy one disc, get 2 free, then get unlimited discs at 2.99. Factor in the about 3 bucks per title shipping and this means you can pick up all 5 CCR K2 remasters for about 30 bucks shipped as part of a order. This is an excellent deal I just can't pass up. With online prices and shipping, it is like getting 5 CDs for the price of one CCR SACD.[​IMG]
    J

19. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Justin, there are eight CCR K2 CDs, not five. Here is the rundown:

1) Creedence Clearwater Revival
    2) Bayou Country
    3) Willy and the Poorboys
    4) Mardi Gras
    5) Pendulum
    6) Green River
    7) Cosmo's Factory
    8) The Concert

I don't recall if BMG has all eight. I got the Creedence Clearwater Revival K2 CD from BMG, but the other seven from Columbia House or stores.

Michael, Lee, and Ryan,

I definitely prefer the Willy and the Poorboys SACD layer to the K2 CD. It is more open and natural-sounding. As I said, I have not compared the CD layer to the K2 CD. Still, I like the K2 CDs. I don't find them to be intolerable. Bear in mind that when I bought the K2 CDs (on the cheap), I had the sound of the original Fantasy CDs implanted. The K2 CDs are much better.

Have any of you compared the sound of Steve Hoffman's CCR DCC gold CDs to the SACDs? I don't have the DCC gold CD of Willy and the Poorboys, but I have the one of Cosmo's Factory. When I get that SACD, I'll have to do a comparison.

20. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

Nope, I don't have any of the DCC CCR CDs. Over on the Hoffman board, a couple people have said they prefer them, while others like the new SACDs. (The fact the tapes were ten years older when the SACDs were made has been mentioned.) I'd be interested to hear what you hear. [​IMG]
    One interesting factoid -- Steve H. says that on the DCC "Bayou Country" CD, he rolled off the top end to tame some of the hiss. The new SACD (both layers) is full bandwidth, so there's more hiss, but also more top end.
    Oh, and I do agree that the K2s are much preferable to the original Fantasy CDs. Those were awful.
    Ryan