1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Survivor: Winners at War

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by MarkMel, Feb 13, 2020.

1. MarkMel

MarkMel Cinematographer

So here we are on Survivor season 40. I've watched of them all since season 1. This cast are all winners of the game.

I do not remember many of them at all - lol. I guess I am just a very casual fan.

2. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    Yeah, we'll need a lot of flashbacks to refresh our memory. But it jumped out of the gate, should be a good season. And...

Boy did Amber look pissed getting voted out first. Not even a good luck glance back. But what was she thinking; that it was going to be a picnic. Imagine she's not as pissed as Rob will be. Good fireworks.

3. Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green Supporting Actor

I've been watching every season, too, and I don't remember half of the contestants either. A few stand out, but some I was surprised were past winners. CBS aired a special a week ago called, Survivor at 40: Greatest Moments and Players. I'm going to watch it tonight on cbs.com to see if it will help jog my memory.

4. MarkMel

MarkMel Cinematographer

Ah, that's good to know, I will watch that too!

5. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Watched the 2-hour premiere.

Not sure how I feel about this season.

First of all, if you are voted out you are not really out?

I don't think I really like that plan.

And how did Sandra end up with an idol? Was that from the Indian girl who went to Exile Island?

It could be an interesting season. Glad to see Tony keeping his cool thus far. I really like him, but he's going to be nothing but trouble down the road.

Nobody really stands out at this point as someone I would like to see win it all.

6. Dheiner

Dheiner Gazoo
    Supporter

John Dhein
    Everybody seems to be playing HARD! But, Tony needs to learn how to not LOOK like he's playing so hard.

7. Message #7 of 28 Feb 13, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green Supporting Actor

In past seasons with Exile Island, the evicted contestants would be given a choice to go home or go to Exile Island for a chance to get back in the game. When they got up to about 6 evicted players, they would compete in a challenge where the winner would go back into the game.
    Yes, the Indian girl won the reward challenge on exile island, but she had to give it away, so Sandra got the idol. It was a strategic move. I guess she felt if she ever got back in the game, then maybe Sandra would feel some sort of loyalty to her.

8. Hollywoodaholic

Wayne
    Natalie wanted to give the idol to Jeremy, but since he won the challenge and his tribe had immunity, she was not allowed to, because she had to give it to someone facing tribal council.

I generally do not like the Exile gimmick, but I read that several of the 'winners' would only come back if that were in play. And I can't really blame them. You win the game, come back after ten years and are out in a day. Serious bummer and blow to the ol' ego. For viewers, it gives us more 'camera time' with the characters and, if we do have a favorite past winner and now contestant, there is a slim hope of them coming back. So I'm okay with it for this special season, but never again; once voted out, goodbye.

Tino and Dheiner like this.
  9. DaveHof3

DaveHof3 Stunt Coordinator

David Hofstede
    FIre Tokens? Really? You've assembled a cast of former winners, and instead of letting them just have at it you introduce even more unnecessary gimmicks?

Sam Posten and ChristopherG like this.
  10. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Yeah, that aspect of the show is getting troublesome as well.

The opportunity to buy food?! This is Survivor!

This show has been desperately trying to reinvent itself with all these "gimmicks" lately. Perhaps they just try not to fix something that isn't broken.

11. Dheiner

Dheiner Gazoo
    Supporter

John Dhein
    I wish they would surprise a group, and go back to the original rules. At least for 1 season.

David Deeb and Sam Posten like this.
  12. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Exile island sucks

ChristopherG likes this.
  13. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I kind of went into this week's SURVIVOR in a foul mood, so don't mind me...

I am guessing CBS no longer allows commercial skipping with Tivo as both 60 Minutes and Survivor no longer offer the feature.

Talking now about Survivor...

I am the kind of person that generally doesn't like change but as with most, we learn to adapt to changes.

However, I am really not liking the schematics of this Season's show.

Exile Island is a complete waste.

Even more so are the fire tokens and the fact that contestants are getting idols and other game advantages to the point where you realize that it's going to eventually come down to unwanted favorite elimination by a multitude of the player upper hand.

In short, things have become just overly polluted with game advantages that include currency.

Much too much too much!

Yeah, I think you guys are right. They had to baby the ego of returning winners making sure they weren't immediately sent home. You heard Boston Rob and his wife both talking about how difficult it was leaving their kids and doing this show. There had to be some sort of incentive that was thrown out to ensure the high-profile players would stay in the game if they were the first to be voted out.

But what that did was make this season a cluster fuck of a watch.

I don't know. Maybe it's just me. I am not enjoying all these diversions. Stop trying to fix something that isn't broken.

ChristopherG likes this.
  14. Dheiner

Dheiner Gazoo
    Supporter

John Dhein
    Preach it, brother!

15. Hollywoodaholic

Wayne
    Despite all the gimmicks and add-ons, I still find the basic dynamics, characters, and psychology of the game hugely entertaining. I mean I was gobsmacked when Rob told everyone at tribal council to empty their bags to reveal they didn't have an idol... and they just did it! Talk about a master of mind games.

16. Hollywoodaholic

Wayne
    Call me corny, but I found the Ethan story overcoming the challenge surprisingly inspired. Maybe it's because I'm facing my own challenges to walk freely again, but I loved the unfailing determination. These are the moments that really set this show apart from standard reality shows. Adam also had his moment, and his team coming back for a surprising win was truly suspenseful.

No spoilers who was voted out, but can I just ask how in the hell Sandra; who participates in no challenges; who treats her tribe members with zero respect; and who blatantly and bossily embraces only those elimination strategies, "as long as it's not me," - how her ass isn't voted out first?

17. DaveHof3

David Hofstede
    My guess is that Sandra, like Rob, has built enough cache in the game that even when they should be at the top of the vote list, other players are still hesitant to make the move because it might backfire.

18. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Very mediocre season. Still sticking with it, though.

19. Dheiner

Dheiner Gazoo
    Supporter

John Dhein
    I feel this season had the makings of a great season, but they have gimmick-ed it up far too much.

20. DaveHof3

David Hofstede
    Giants being slain left and right. Which I wouldn't mind except for the fact that it happened as a result of a random tribe swap a couple of weeks ago that undercut their strategy and alliances. You've got some of the best players in the history of the game - why not just let them play?
    That said - Denise's move tonight will go down as one of the most memorable in Survivor history.

Mike Frezon and David Weicker like this.