1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Survivor: Season 39: Island of the Idols

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Ronald Epstein, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Do people here think Dans alleged behavior was intentional or accidental from what we’ve seen? And do you think it warrants the punishment he has received and the probable destruction of his reputation?

2. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

Wow, Tino, I don't know.

I know a lot of people that use their hands to express themselves. I'm kind of like that with my friends. I'll reach over and pat them on the leg when they tell a good joke or take my hand and place it on their back as a reassuring sign of friendship.

...but that's between friends and it's a more accepted practice.

There were probably times at work over the years where I patted a female co-worker on the shoulder after she said something funny or showed sympathy towards something.

I have learned with the #metoo movement not to do that kind of thing anymore no matter what the situation.

Touching the opposite sex in what was once considered a friendly banter has now become totally unacceptable.

I have come to accept and respect that.

Whether Dan was doing it as a friendly banter or intentionally is not the point. He should not have been doing it at all. These were people he wasn't even friends with. All strangers. Anyone with an ounce of social awareness should have known to keep their hands to themselves at all times.

Absolutely he should have been punished whether intentional or not. Why? Because he already had the first incident with Kim, was talked to by the show's producers and he repeated the act a second time. The story states there was a witness so I am certain that testimony heavily came into play.

Sam Posten likes this.
  3. MartinP.

MartinP. Supporting Actor

Martin
    I read the following:

About the first incident:

During the season, Spilo was accused on air of unwanted touching by Kellee Kim, a fellow female contestant. This central accusation led to other accusations of unwanted touching from Spilo by female contestants Missy Byrd and Elizabeth Beisel. Byrd and Beisel, however, eventually retracted their statements about Dan, saying that their claims were gameplay-related and that they were never made to feel uncomfortable by Spilo. Kim held fast to her claims against Spilo, and was subsequently sent home that week while Spilo remained in the game.

NOW:

"For the first time in 39 seasons, Survivor’s reunion will be pre-taped four hours before it airs on Wednesday, December 18, due to the sensitive material of this season and security concerns. The news comes after the show removed contestant Dan Stilo from the series for an “off-camera incident.”

Three time contestant Jeff Varner, the former reality star, has been tweeting about this and says he's talked to members of this season's series and replied to another Twitter user’s response echoing his right to weigh in on Wednesday’s announcement. “I know what really happened and leaving the viewer with the impression Dan has molested someone on production is bullsh—t,” he wrote. “The cast is not happy. They love Dan. Threats of boycotts. They’re not going to allow them near a live mic. Cowards.” “I’ve talked to cast members. I know what happened that got him removed and I’m telling you, 100% horse s—t. The cast has rallied behind Dan and few to no one is behind Kellee,” “It’s so painful to see what is happening with this show. They are pre-taping the reunion because cast members plan to publicly support Dan and call out producers. Can’t have that on a live mic. Ugh. So pissed. Rant over. For now.” “100% horse s—t! The truth will get out. No pre-taped reunion will hide it. #Survivor.”

Yikes.

4. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

HOLY SHIT!

Dheiner likes this.
  5. DaveHof3

DaveHof3 Stunt Coordinator

David Hofstede
    As an early victim of cancel culture (following his own controversial incident with Zeke) I'm not surprised that Varner is coming to Dan's defense. But if what he says is true about the cast being more supportive of Dan than Kellee, and the final pre-tape being CBS's way of hiding that from the public, then this is about to get 300% more ugly than it already is.

6. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Three-hour finale tonight. Set your DVRs appropriately.

7. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  8. DaveHof3

DaveHof3 Stunt Coordinator

David Hofstede
    It was a lackluster season with a lackluster winner, overshadowed by dubious allegations that prompted the show to basically delete one player from the season, without any chance to offer his side of the story. The fact that two other players skipped the reunion because they wouldn't throw Dan under the bus suggests there is more to this than what CBS wants to tell us. Dan may have already lawyered up, and he may wind up richer than the person who won when all is said and done.

I'm sorry that Kellee felt violated - but part of living in a society is understanding that different people express themselves in different ways. At one time a person that touched others in a more familiar way was considered an annoyance - now it's being equated with sexual assault. We still know absolutely nothing about the alleged second incident with the crew member that got him bounced for good. If it was that egregious why not be open about it (without identifying the crew person, of course). They wanted him gone - heaven forbid he make the final Tribal because there's no way they want that conversation to be the last impression of the season. So they achieved their objective, off-camera, with no explanation. Doesn't wash.

I'll watch next season because that's a dream cast - but after that? I think I'm done. Don't like the direction they're headed.

ChristopherG likes this.
  9. Message #109 of 116 Dec 19, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2019
    Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    I enjoyed the finale. Of the final three, the most decent choice won. [Political comment removed by moderator.]

Sia giving Elaine and Janet both $100,000 was a great moment. So deserved.

And I enjoyed seeing Amber and the 4 young Boston Rob-ettes. No wonder Boston Rob finds such peace of mind escaping again to the island! Imagine that household! And talk about karma for Boston Rob. He's going to have to deal with 4 teenage girls at the same time later.

I don't like how they exploited Kellee with that one-on-one interview (camera pushing close in on her face the more upset she got).

But anybody that thinks Dan has a case against the show, pay attention to what Jeff Probst says.... they were wrong about him and letting him continue playing. He doesn't have any action against the show, and just better pray that his exposure on the show doesn't bring out some current or past client action. Read between the lines of what Probst says, they found out more stuff and admit they were wrong. That's why they're bending over backwards so much to correct any behavior that continues after someone says something going forward.

It was not a great season, but in it's own controversial way, it was still entertaining. I still get something out of every season.

Looking forward to the Winners season.

10. MartinP.

MartinP. Supporting Actor

Martin
    Not me, I'm so tired of Rob. Who wants to see millionaires compete for two million? I always rather see new players. I hardly watched it this year because of Rob & Sandra.

Amazing Race is filming another season in February. They already have one that's been in the can for over a year. Maybe they'll show one of these eventually. #WTFCBS

11. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I was disappointed with Janet not winning this.

Not completely disappointed with Tommy winning. Out of the three remainings, he was the most likable. Couldn't see Dean winning this, though he did win the most challenges.

I see Elizabeth and Vince boycotted the show. At least, those were the two I immediately noticed. Perhaps they were there and I missed them?

They didn't really let any of the others who were eliminated talk. They just sat and watched.

I enjoyed this season....probably due to the fact I left Survivor for a few seasons and this was a return for me. Not the best cast, but it was entertaining enough for me to keep coming back.

I am sort of excited for next season. I like returning survivors competing against each other.

12. Dheiner

Dheiner Gazoo
    Supporter

John Dhein
    Has anyone mentioned Sue Hawk, yet?

13. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    I did

14. Dheiner

Dheiner Gazoo