1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Survivor: Season 39: Island of the Idols

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Ronald Epstein, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    I don’t think any part of the show is scripted at all. None.

It’s all in the editing after the fact. Designed for maximum impact. And obviously tremendously effective.

I’m enjoying this season despite the recent ugliness.

Hollywoodaholic and Dheiner like this.
  2. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Have to hand it to the show's creators -- sometimes they can really shake up a game and make it more interesting.

This week was a perfect example.

Spoilers coming up so don't proceed unless you have watched..,

Really loved the fact they split the survivors into two groups with two tribal councils.

The first "Oh Shit!" moment is when Karishma found an idol. Of all the people to find one, it is her. She's such a lazy, no-good, couch potato of a person. However, as someone pointed out, she is the perfect individual to take to the end with you. That's a ticket to win.

The second "Oh Shit!" moment was Missy being voted out. I have no issue with that, but Elaine admitting what she did now puts such a huge target on her and that was the person I really wanted to win.

Is the fake advantage paper that was handed to DEAN ever debunked? I don't think so. I mean, is that parchment still in play? It would be very interesting to see what happens with that.

3. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    My least favorite two contestants were voted out this week; very happy about that. And blindsided, which is even better. And it had nothing to do with race, and everything to do with arrogance, or.... Aaron-ogance.

4. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Don't let the torch hit ya in the ass on the way out, Missy....

Tino likes this.
  5. David Weicker

David Weicker Producer

David
    It was an interesting moment when Missy mentioned the first time that two African Americans had Immunity Necklaces at the same time, but conveniently she didn't mention that they voted out an African American.

And then both previous necklace holders were voted out in the same night.

I did like the twist, but it will be interesting to see where they go from here. There doesn't seem to be any strong alliances left.

6. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Wow @Ronald Epstein Thats really harsh. I really like her and feel she’s definitely been bullied. And again editing does wonders to make people look bad.

7. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Yes!

Go Karishma!;)

8. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Wow! First of all, I don't know how anyone could be rooting for Tino's spoiler above.

Continue with spoilers...

Karishma is one of the worst players ever. Her attitude equals her playing ability. Both awful.

I was actually unhappy with who went home tonight only because she was my weekly "hottie" choice.

Both those things being said...

When Survivor gets things right they REALLY get it right.

This week was an episode that excelled on so many levels except who I had hoped would have gone home.

First, things were changed up very nicely with an Island of the Idols bet given to Lauren.

Lauren performed a perfect execution of that bet. She successfully coaxed her teammates to either eat or play.

Her bet also paid off. She knew who would play and even expertly narrowed it down to the two correct women. It was an absolute "win-win" bet for her when the challenge began.

Where Lauren went wrong was thinking her head would be on the chopping block by playing her idol. It wasn't on the chopping block at all, but I could understand her concerns. She had to play that idol this time out or the next, nonetheless.

The tie was very suspenseful. I didn't want to see Janet or Elizabeth go home. As I mentioned, ELIZABETH is my "hottie" to watch and JANET is one of the two players I expect to win (Elaine being the other choice).

It was a really, really good week. Now I am just hoping we can get rid of Karishma. I am tired of seeing her mope around camp, not offer to do anything, and just stay in the game because of pure "luck."

Hollywoodaholic likes this.
  9. Hollywoodaholic

Wayne
    I must admit, though not my survivor choice either, I thoroughly enjoyed the incredulous looks on the faces of the seven who voted to oust this contestant when the idol was played. And the strategy behind Lauren's island idol option was fun to watch and unfold. Good episode!

10. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Oh, I forgot...

Dean!

He created a second phony immunity advantage and played it. Now he has one left that he "thinks" is real. Will be funny when he tries to use it.

Sam Posten likes this.
  11. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Still really disagree with this. She’s one of my favorites that I’m rooting for to win.

Don’t get the hate.

12. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

She's not in it to win.

She has no skills. She is horrible at challenges. She is horrible helping around camp. All she does is sulk and complain and then when people try to give her advice she gets angry with "don't tell me what to do!"

If she is your person to win, that's fine.

However, there is no way she is going to win this. She's the most expendable person in the tribe. If she stays, it will only be to take her to the end to make the other person look more worthy.

13. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Let’s agree to disagree Ron.

She’s one of the best underestimated players and I would love her to win.

There have been many less worthy contestants that have won.

14. Hollywoodaholic

Wayne
    Another entertaining but also infuriating episode, and both of the sentiments can be summed up in one name; Noura. I agreed with Boston Rob and thought she had cooked her own goose blabbing like the crazy and unpredictable person she is at tribal. But I have to admit that her crazy ramblings are ultimately more entertaining than Karishma's whining. So be it.

15. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

I was sitting in my recliner shouting, "Shut the F up Nuora, I want Karishma to go home not YOU"

And until the final moments, that is the way I thought it would play out. Nuora was really cooking her goose.

And I thought, like all of us, she cooked that goose long before tribal council. I was amazed at how she just blurted out minutes of hateful rhetoric about her loyalty to others without even taking a second to breathe.

I don't know what kind of relationship she is in, but I feel sorry for the guy that has to answer to that every day.

Speaking of relationships...

I don't think Elaine's sexuality had ever been revealed. It was really cool to see that she had a partner. I am very supportive of that kind of relationship. It was cool to see a very happy same-sex couple being celebrated on SURVIVOR. We have come a long way!

16. Hollywoodaholic

Wayne
    I love the way the show edits Noura's crazytalk with the time dissolves and the expressions on everyone else's faces. The creative editing on the show has been one of the elements vastly evolved and improved over the years. They know what plays, and I read how Jeff Probst says she's a gold mine (in a smoking train wreck sort of way), but geez, I wouldn't want to be living on the island or anywhere else with her.

Seeing how butch Elaine was to begin with I figured she was either a happy out or not, but she's totally comfortable with herself and so are those of us rooting for her.

17. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Crazy Noura should have gone home instead of Karishma. These people are really dumb.

18. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Noura is going to be next. Of course, in Survivor world, sometimes something comes up that delays getting rid of obvious dead weight.

Even if they voted Noura out this week, Karishma would have been after her. There is just no way Karishma would have stayed in this game. She was under the gun every single week.

19. Hollywoodaholic

Wayne
    So Elaine, Karishma, Dean and Noura (who lost family challenge) all agree to vote Tommy.... and none of them do. And Elaine votes for Karishma! I think they left some strategizing out of the edit, or that all fell together at tribal.

20. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Or they’re just dumb.....which is more likely. ;)