1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Survivor: Season 39: Island of the Idols

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Ronald Epstein, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    This was a great week, no doubt.

I was certain Elaine was going home...

...which leads to my confusion...

She received an opportunity from Island of the Idols. She shared it with her three closest Survivors.

Yes, Aaron is an a-hole and I expected him to turn

But the two women? I did not expect them to turn on Elaine by whispering her name during tribal as someone they would vote off.

In other words, Elaine did a really good thing here to help her closest allies and they turned on her -- or at least looked like they would.

Sam Posten likes this.
  2. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    Aaron and Missy were ready to flip on Elaine until they found out about the vote cancel. It was better for them to remain at the top their alliance than to flip to the bottom of the other one. The plan going in was to have Aaron and Missy vote for Elaine and take that opportunity to vote off Aaron and pull in a pissed off Elaine. When the vote cancel appeared, they fell back to all voting for Elaine in hopes that Aaron or Missy flipped.

I suspect a lot of the dickering after Elaine showed them her advantage was chronologically recorded before Elaine showed them the advantage. This allowed the editing to make it look like Elaine was a goner.

3. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

If they manipulated the editing in such a manner, I'd be pissed.

That's not editing to make for a more pleasing televised presentation. That's editing to manipulate the viewers to think something different than what really happened took place. Not cool.

===================

For long-time fans of the show, Rudy Boesch (the 72-year old former Navy Seal from season 1) has passed at the age of 91.

[​IMG]

Tim Fennell likes this.
  4. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    Richard Hatch basically created the game of Survivor. But dynamics between Hatch and Rudy and Susan Hawk made the first season a phenomenon. We wouldn't be here at season 39 if it weren't for Rudy.

Tim Fennell and Dheiner like this.
  5. Message #45 of 116 Nov 7, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    The last thing I expected to hear at Tribal Council from survivors who have been sleep and food deprived for more than two weeks was an eloquent and philosophically rich discussion of feminism and gender politics in the #metoo era, but there it was. Even Jeff Probst was taken back.

I have no doubt a woman is going to win this season compared to the lack of real brain power on the other side of the equation. Look at Kellee's face as the vote goes down and she fakes great shock at the outcome, even though she gave that person the idol to use, and also, conveniently, voted for that same person to cover her ass when the post tribal WTF discussions occur. Sharp.

Dheiner and ChristopherG like this.
  6. ChristopherG

ChristopherG Cinematographer

Chris
    I haven't seen it but I'm told the "woke" level of this week's two hour episode is off the charts.

7. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    A very interesting double feature

I am not going to comment too much on the #metoo aspects of the game other than saying I am happy in the way it was addressed at tribal council.

I think the use of idols (or the lack of use) really came into play this week in an ugly way...

First, Kellee being voted off with two idols in her possession

Second, Janet using her idol when there was little threat to her being voted out.

If I were going to vote on someone to win right now it would be one of the women. I would like it to be Janet, as I feel she is playing the most humane game, but it could very well be Elaine.

8. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I think those were the worst two episodes of Survivor I've ever sat through.

I couldn't have cared any less about the whole #MeToo arc...even as to how it was "used" as a game strategy. Unfortunately, Jeff Probst seemed all too willing to act as the conscience of America.

Based on what I know about the shooting schedule of the program, these episodes were probably taped shortly after the height of the whole Weinstein controversy, etc.

I just didn't find any of that interesting or exceptionally relevant. I found myself distracted throughout by other pursuits.

As Ron pointed out, the only thing of note is that Kellee went home with TWO idols in her possession. AND...she had a good sense that she MIGHT be in jeopardy. With even an inkling of a possibility of trouble and two idols in your pocket, just play one, idiot. Maybe she just wanted to challenge Erik Reichenbach for the title of dumbest Survivor ever.

ChristopherG likes this.
  9. David Weicker

David Weicker Producer

David
    that was one of the roughest episodes of Survivor ever.

And based on who is left, there isn't one person I want to win the Million (maybe Janet, but I don't expect her to last).

I liked Kellee, and thought her game was smart (so, being dumb with the idols was hard to watch).

I thought that Kamal's speech was terrific.

We don't know what really happened with Dan, but I do believe his apology was sincere. He is aware that perception is real, and that even innocent actions may be harmful anyway.

My hatred for Aaron continues to grow. And Lauren as well.

The hardest thing was watching several of the girls faking their uncomfortableness just as a tool to control the vote. That was reprehensible. I haven't really liked Missy, but I did like Elizabeth until last night.

I think if I was Janet, I would have left. I can't imagine living on the beach with several of these people.

10. Message #50 of 116 Nov 14, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    Hollywoodaholic

Wayne
    Two idols in pocket... Harvard educated... Booted... At this point you have to conclude intuition and social awareness more important than smarts here.

Can someone confirm here who Dan voted for since my DVR recording did not catch the previews and vote count moment? Because, if Dan voted for Janet, he's a bigger sleazebag than I suspected (and I know some sleazy talent managers).* I, for one, was very much intrigued (and entertained) by the ongoing controversy and discussions. He's the perfect example of the guy who thinks he's completely appropriate without a clue to the impact he's having (and I'm sure Weinstein felt the same way). I don't think we've heard the last of how he's acted 'perfectly' with his 'mostly female' clients if some of them witness his 'tame' MO here. And notice how defensive with mock outrage he got when he realized the discussion was going to continue (and this after he had been 'spanked' or warned by the producers in a private meeting the night before).

*(Notice how he never spooned or slept with his arm around Janet - just the younger more vulnerable female contestants).

Sure we watch Survivor for pure escapist entertainment removed from the headlines. But we also watch it for great conflict, emotions, and drama, which is the cornerstone of reality entertainment. I totally enjoyed both episodes for this content and found myself moved and empathizing with Janet (though I'm still in Elaine camp for the win).

The only part I felt manipulated by was the dangling clue that Jamal finds hanging from the tree. How does he find it? The camera angle is directly behind the hanging clue as Jamal and (Elaine?) approach. All he has to do is look to the cameraman and he obviously spots the clue. Talk about fishing in a barrel. And Jamal's BS story and phony-looking advantage clue were both hysterical. But he also provided the most coherent and succinct soliloquy for the proper male response to the whole potential harassment matter moments before he got booted. You can mock acting 'woke,' but I bet it gets him a female fan club. LOL.

11. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

So, several of the women experienced Dan's handsy-ness but weren't bothered enough to make a big deal out of it. That's fine. But another woman was bothered enough. For those women to use that as a tool to manipulate her seems to me like a special kind of evil. I expected that to be more of an issue but it wasn't. It least it looked like Missy realized she did a shitty thing.

I'm not sure what I think about Jamal's Rob/Sandra scheme. The handwritten idol immediately raises suspicion, and how he brought it up rang false as well. I don't know if they were allowed, but I would have planted that thing somewhere and leave it for someone to find (but you'd have to be sure it wasn't someone in your alliance). No backstory is needed. They might question where it came from, but they couldn't really spread the word about it.

12. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Wayne: Dan voted for Jamal.

It was Karishma (what is she still doing here?) and Missy who voted for Janet.

Hollywoodaholic likes this.
  13. ChristopherG

ChristopherG Cinematographer

Chris
    IF she makes it to the end, I'm already anticipating her spiel "Doing absolutely nothing and failing at everything was actually my strategy coming into the game..."

:laugh:

Dheiner likes this.
  14. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Worst episode in 10 years. Survivor totally blew handling this situation the right way. The producers should take the beating for this.

ChristopherG and Dheiner like this.
  15. David Weicker

David Weicker Producer

David
    Sam Posten and Hollywoodaholic like this.
  16. DaveHof3

DaveHof3 Stunt Coordinator

David Hofstede
    My only comment on the Dan situation is that we were shown a lot of footage of Kellee and some of the other women talking about his actions (sincerely or insincerely) but were shown very little video evidence of it - on a show where there are cameras always running 24/7. Some of the incidents that were shown are certainly open to interpretation, and I saw some people (on another message board) who were outraged even by Dan touching Noura's shoulder at Tribal to demonstrate how they are often in close quarters. And when he first apologized and asked if there was an issue, he did seem sincere about it.

Did the producers see an opportunity for a hot topic theme to an otherwise so-so season, that would generate articles and water cooler talk? Absolutely. Was there actually something there worth talking about? I'm not sure we'll ever know - but at this point it really doesn't matter anymore.

17. Hollywoodaholic

Wayne
    I don't think that was the motivation of the producers. By the time these seasons air they've been in the can at least six months, so a hot topic would be passe by then in our short attention span world. And before the behavior was even brought up, there were night shots of him sleeping with his arm slung over the younger female players. Not Janet.

18. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

This is a pretty ugh-worthy season of Survivor...

ChristopherG and Sam Posten like this.
  19. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

It's really too bad since the last few seasons have been pretty darn good. But it's the law of averages, I guess.

20. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

That's how I see it.

I have said this before: It's pretty low odds that you are going to put a group of people together on an island and get good television.

That's why I think the show is scripted to an extent. If only contestants didn't have to sign a non-disclosure agreement...