1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Survivor: Season 39: Island of the Idols

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Ronald Epstein, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

Survivor_Island_of_the_Idols_logo.

I was quite shocked when I came to the TV Programming area and saw no thread dedicated to this season.

Then I started reading the posts from last season and it was obvious to me that the show has been a declining interest to members of this forum.

Not so lucky for me deciding to watch this show again after giving it up a few seasons back.

I'm retired now. I can spend more time watching these shows.

I suppose the first episode of this season was okay. It's the same routine of meeting the new survivors and getting to know the new twists added to the show.

I kind of like the addition of Boston Rob and Sandra. Better they play as mentors rather than in the game itself,

Hope there is some viewer traction in this thread​

2. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    I'm onboard, and still a viewer of the series after 19 years. I was an anthropology minor in college and this series still vividly showcases human behavior in a tribal setting that is relevant for corporate settings, as well. Plus, it's hit or miss with great characters, and mostly unscripted. What's not to like or learn from?

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Only caught about 30 minutes of last night's show before passing out, but I think the number one thing any contestant should remember is to never look like you're looking for the first HII! :D

4. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

Welp, Wayne, unless anyone else shows up in this thread, it's just you and I this season.

I'll be checkin' back in

5. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Oh, Patrick is here! COOL!

Yeah, don't be an idiot and look for the idol day one

6. David Weicker

David Weicker Producer

David
    I’m still watching (and enjoying).

The last few seasons have been a mixed bag. None bad, but a few where the parts were better than the whole (some awesome tribal councils the past few seasons).

Last night was fun. I’m glad the right person (IMO) was voted out. I don’t like people who play hard right out of the box.

7. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Dave,

I was extremely happy with the vote as well. HE was the guy I wanted out.

I love underdogs. The comedic heavy girl would by my favorite to win thus far -- but she doesn't seem to have what it takes to make it to the end. Hope I am wrong 'bout that.

8. Dheiner

Dheiner Gazoo
    Supporter

John Dhein
    I've loved this show all along, and I only wish that, just once, they went back to the original rules. Now tribe mixing. No Idols. No FREE food.
    I think it would be a real shock to the type of players they recruiat these days.

ChristopherG likes this.
  9. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I'm in, too.

Peg and I have never missed a season of the show. Survivor is true "must see TV" in our household.

We were thrilled that Elaine survived. She reminds us of a favorite character actress--Alex Borstein (who we first met on Gilmore Girls and is currently winning Emmys on The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel). I hope she sticks around for a long while (if not the end).

Ronald Epstein and David Weicker like this.
  10. ChristopherG

ChristopherG Cinematographer

Chris
    My wife and I are watching. I took a hiatus from this show when it seemed they were on a course to find the most hateful people possible to compete. I will agree that day one to go off on your own is a bad look - also I think the very first tribal council is a bit early for the tears to start flowing...

11. Dheiner

Dheiner Gazoo
    Supporter

John Dhein
    I already think that anyone would have to be nuts to let Elaine get to the end vote. UNLESS, they could rightfully claim to have dragged her along, and/or been her shield throughout....

12. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I'm in. Not sure about the Idol island tho

13. Message #13 of 25 Sep 27, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

There is a general Survivor thread now. :)

We're dedicated Survivor fans in our house. I'm not sure I care about this Season's theme. I think it's going to take up too much of the show's time and it's going to get annoying. For example, the first player was given a choice of getting immunity for two tribals, or losing a vote if you lose. Too much time is spent on the Decision but it was obvious you should go for it. Losing a vote is not a big deal this early, especially when there are no alliances forming. She loses and Rob shames her "What were you thinking competing against me at fire?" What a dick.

It also feels like a very oddball group of contestants to me. Like they're leftover castings from previous seasons.

I said this last year and it still stands true - we're such fans of this show we started watching the Australian version. That season just ended last week and it's such a better show. Solidly old school, no gimmicks apart from the occasional special idols which makes it play more like a real game (ie: Send a tribe member back to camp for Tribal, they don't get to vote; the rival team gets to watch tribal, then THEY get to vote who they can steal for their tribe, etc). Challenges are often very physical, a couple this season were near torturous. Plus it's on three times a week! Then we come to this Rob/Sandra nonsense... it just felt like a letdown.

14. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Wish we could get the Australian version here. Is it on any of the streaming versions?

Sorry for the new thread. I saw the old one referenced above. It was buried. Not sure anyone in this forum was even watching the show.

I can keep this thread open or merge it with the other. Let me know, Guys.

15. Hollywoodaholic

Wayne
    I am very curious what they are paying Rob and Sandra to act as mentors. Could it be... a million dollars? Hey, the show still costs less than scripted dramas with far lower ratings. I'd also like to know if Boston Rob is still with the other former contestant he targeted and married.

16. ChristopherG

ChristopherG Cinematographer

Chris
    They have 4 kids together..."Ambuh"

17. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    So, I have a question...

Elizabeth, who lost to Rob in a fire building contest, left with a "no vote" for tribal council.

That aspect was never revealed to everyone when the votes were being taken out of the urn.

Did her "no vote" paper just not get drawn during the reveal, or was it just thrown away and not put in the urn?

18. David Weicker

David Weicker Producer

David
    I assume it was put in the urn, but because of the ‘landslide’ against Ronnie, didn’t need to be pulled out by Jeff.

If the vote had been closer, I’m sure it would have been pulled (and explained - the same way ‘extra’ votes have been)

it’s always been noticeable that the production staff ‘reorders’ the votes for dramatic effect.

19. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Warning: Spoilers Ahead

I haven't contributed to this thread in over a week because I forgot to create a "Season Pass" on my Tivo device and thus it failed to record last week's show.

Doesn't look like I missed much. I know who got voted out.

This week's show was interesting with Vince stealing fire from the other tribe. However, I didn't care for the way it was edited having shots of the sleeping tribe awakening out of sync to the action really happening.

A real shame that someone was sent home with an idol in their pocket, but hey, that happens.

Pretty good week. Enjoying this season.

20. Hollywoodaholic

Wayne
    I want to know how and why survivors are not telling their tribes what's really going on at the island of idols - meaning interactions and training with Sandra and Boston Rob. Are producers deliberately telling contestants to keep it a secret? Because otherwise under these conditions and hanging around with tribe 24/7 with most of the time idle and so much time to yap and conspire, there's just no way I believe people wouldn't spill the beans. I mean it's not that strategic a secret. The only real purpose keeping quiet serves is to have the surprise element for cameras as survivors arrive on that island.

We're 0-3 with survivors either lamely BS-ing or not saying much at all. I just don't buy it, unless they're directed not to.

But I am enjoying this new element of the game and the new section of content it adds (Vince's night patrol mission was fun, as was the memory quiz last week). And I still want to know how much Sandra and Boston Rob got paid.